Overeaters Anonymous

Options
I've been checking out the OA website and have been thinking about attending a local meeting. Has anyone here ever been to a meeting? Did you find it helpful?

Replies

• Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Great idea; I'll bring the chips!

I considered that sort of support group early on, but once I started out on my own I found the urge to overeat went away pretty quickly.

Plus I rely on this forum for it's expert advice. What could go wrong? :)
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think I desperately need to attend that. I have problems with overeating.
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I need the help too... :-( what's the website and is there a meet in NYC?
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Overeating is definitely a challenge I struggle with. I've found it gets easier with time. In the beginning it was tough to stop when I was full and leave food on my plate (especially at a restaurant - I paid good money for that food!). But you start a routine and eventually those extra bites just don't seem worth it. Don't get me wrong, I still overeat from time to time, I'm only human!, but it's less frequently.

Maybe going to OA meetings will help you :)
  • caitwinter
    caitwinter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try and plan a couple "binge" meals a week. These binge meals will be HUGE salads, or piles of vegetables deliciously prepared. I don't know why my brain/body wants to feel overly full- but doing it this way has helped a lot.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    the OP ask about Overeaters anonymous, not strategies for dealing eith over eating. My boyfriend, who is a psychiatrist, has been himself and he recommends it to his patients. There are groups in all major cities.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    They have great podcasts online line. If you are shy about going in person, check those out. LA chapter has a ton of podcasts featuring many folks who have lost - and kept off - a ton of weight. They also have online meetings if there is not a convenient meeting near you or if you want meetings in addition to those you attend.

Excellent program that does not sell you anything. Good for those who binge, purge, over exercise, all types of eating disorders. It's curious why it is not as we'll known as AA. Some people are thin but have eating issues. Open to anyone at any size, age, faith, etc.
  • wilcope
    wilcope Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have thought about attending myself, but I heard that there is an extensive list of restricted foods (including sugar) which has prevented me from going. I too would be interested in hearing what others have experienced.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    When I went decades ago, it was okay for emotional support but I wouldn't go back now because it doesn't fit me or my style. They did not recommend any certain foods or diets (by policy) but they are a 12-step program and thus rely heavily on the 12-steps based in a "higher power" having control over you and you being helpless to your own body's functions and control. I didn't care for that. I also found excessive "therapy" and not enough talk about technique, approach, success, etc. It was pretty much me listening to lonely housewives complain about their husbands and how it made them all eat. Not my bag!

That said, if you have a high tolerance for listening to others talk about how helpless they are and how God is not yet aaving them from themselves, it could be great. I'm really not trying to be flip, and sorry if I sound that way but I found the approach backwards.

That said, many have had great success and need that sort of environment in order to deal with their issues.

And it's free, but they usually take up a collection and expect you to contribute if you keep coming back. But a $1 is plenty.
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    Members make up their own food plans and may consult with a doctor etc. Some people realize they can't stop eating certain foods - sugary desserts, salty snacks, etc. Some people jump right in, others come and go and finally realize they were always dieting and not facing their struggles - addiction to sugar for example. There is a popular speaker named Harlan who lost and has kept off a couple hundred pounds for decades. How can you argue with his success?

Each group can have a different personality. If you think it might be helpful, don't let others get in your way - look for other meetings or go online etc. Have an open mind. To me they make more sense. Than telling people they can lose weight if they try harder, etc. Would you tell an alcoholic or drug addict to just try harder or would you suggest they seek out some help?
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have been in and out of OA for many many years. I recently decided that it's not right for me, at this time.I just need a different type of support, currently. I can't comment on whether it's the right choice for you, but I encourage you to try going to either a face to face, or online meeting, to see how it feels.

I just want to point out that OA does NOT endorse any plan of eating, and there is NO list of restricted foods. Each member makes their own plan of eating. I know that the person above me mentioned that, but it bears repeating.

The only requirement for OA membership, is that you are someone who wants to stop compulsively eating.

Good luck!
  • jenifo11
    jenifo11 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies. I think I just need to get my nerve up and go to see if it is right for me.
  • Roxiehart9
    Options
    I think the help everyone needs is different and how people responds is different. I know I don't do well with groups like an OA. I get defensive and I don't listen. I LOVE the calorie/food tracker on MFP because I feel like I'm doing the work myself. Another friend I have refuses to count anything but is on a strict clean diet. So do what works for you and what helps you to stick to a routine.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    They have great podcasts online line. If you are shy about going in person, check those out. LA chapter has a ton of podcasts featuring many folks who have lost - and kept off - a ton of weight. They also have online meetings if there is not a convenient meeting near you or if you want meetings in addition to those you attend.

Excellent program that does not sell you anything. Good for those who binge, purge, over exercise, all types of eating disorders. It's curious why it is not as we'll known as AA. Some people are thin but have eating issues. Open to anyone at any size, age, faith, etc.

That is really good idea and doable. I wouldn't have time to go to a meeting but it would be nice to have support. I find a lot of MFP support as well.

50540473.png
  • MyFoodGod
    Options
    I think that at different points in our lives, we are more open or more closed to particular ideas, suggestions , etc. Whether it's weight loss advice, religious messages, political idealology, etc. We are all a work in progress.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Three double "ewes" .oa.org is the website. Completely anonymous, and free. Based on the 12-step recovery for AA and NA, you work the program for you and you alone. There is no eating "plan", you figure out what foods are your "triggers" and learn how to stay away from them. Lots of information of the web-site...but the best place to find out about the organization is to go to a meeting or two..or three. Listen to people talk, and talk to people after the meeting. You don't have to talk and share your name and story until you are comfortable doing so.

OA is NOT a weight loss club! One of the side benefits can be weight loss, but it is a program to better yourself. Yes, there is a "spiritual" aspect to it, but for the most part, it is a "generic spirituality". Like someone said above, the only requirement to join is a desire to stop compulsively overeat or get a food addiction under control.

Good luck!
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I think you have gotten some really bad responses here, as well as some decent ones. Try a meeting. And don't just go once. It takes times to decide if it's really right for you. I belong to a wonderful group of extremely supportive ladies who are having success in the program.

There are two forms of OA. There is a group called "HOW" which is much stricter. Some people need and want that. Get information on both.

There are also tons of telephone and online meetings taking place 24/7 if you wish to try those. Basically, don't knock it till you've tried it.
  • mwhite9492
    Options
    I attend online OA meetings, and they are awesome. www.intherooms.com. I am chairing a meeting this coming Tuesday night, 6:00 pm PST, Jan 7th 2014. Hope to see you at the online OA meeting!
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    They also have online meetings that I used to attend to. It was pretty cool. I tried to go to a local one once but couldn't find the darn place, so I never went
  • Jmchao
    Jmchao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've attended a couple of online OA meetings and enjoyed them. The people online have been super nice, helpful, and welcoming. I've downloaded their podcasts and have been listening to those off and on. I haven't ordered the book or workbook yet-that's my next step. I've looked for face-to-face meetings, but surprisingly, in as large an area as I live, there are very few and the times/days don't work well with my work/school/family schedule. So, I decided to try online for now.

A bonus of the online-if you're unsure about going to a meeting, these are TRULY anonymous! They run them online just like a real meeting with an opening "prayer", rules/guidelines (don't interrupt, etc.), a reading of some sort that helps set the theme for the meeting, a chance to share stories/experiences on topic, a chance to share off topic, and a Q&A session afterwards. It's closed with a closing "prayer". All participation is completely voluntary. I've been on the online meetings as late as 10:30pm EST.

Good luck!!