Quinoa anyone?

Options
mandijo
mandijo Posts: 618 Member
So before I knew what quinoa was, I saw recipes for it all the time. Now that I found out what it was, found a place that carries it, I can't seem to find recipes anywhere. If you have a good quinoa recipe, would you mind sharing it with me:) Thanks!

Replies

• rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    i use it the same way i would use rice. usually i just cook the quinoa according to the package directions. i usually serve it topped with sauteed veggies and broiled chicken or other protien.
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa. sooo so much. much more than rice or any other grain really. I particularly like red quinoa, which is a little more textured than the regular kind. I usually just cook it and add fresh veggies and some kind of veggie (like beans or something) protein to it and eat it all together in a bowl. yummy.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    I dont actually have a specific recipe, but we always use it as a side kind of like a rice replacement.

One trick I did learn from someone who uses is all the time is get the white Qunioa and one of the other colors and make half of each and mix them. The white has more of a rice texture so it goes nicely with the other ones that tend to have a crunchier texture.

:)
  • iamdesiderata
    iamdesiderata Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    well usually i like to add some kind of protein to it, like shrimp, and a light sauce, like some olive oil and lemon juice. depending on what kind of flavor i'm craving i'll add some hot or savory spices.

you can just use it in place for any rice dish really, so i searched for recipes for rice and just used quinoa. works well!
  • navy4you2
    navy4you2 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    inside the Clean Eating Magazine for the winter 2008 it has a great black bean and quinoa salad. We added apple sausage and it was great. I will have to find it and if you can send me a private mesage then I will email it to you as well.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I prepare equal parts Quinoa, TVP and Long-Grain Brown Rice (each according to preparation instructions), then mix together in large bowl.

Add:
    -pkg fried rice seasoning
    -cilantro
    -chopped green onions

Any veggies I may have lurking in the fridge.

I eat it like Fried rice, with a little soy sauce and chile paste. It's high in protein and fiber.

Has about 250 calories in 8 oz. 27 carbs. 9 grams fiber. 25 grams protein. And it quiets my hunger for rice.
  • jcmc99
    jcmc99 Posts: 27
    Options
    check on www.foodnetwork.com I have seen several recipes on that channel. I know that Giada DeLarentis has made a few. I made a salad of hers with it. Just type in quinoa under recipes. It will bring them all up for you! :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I Love quinoa. I also eat meat and fish so quinoa is usually too many cals to have both. They say it has as much protein as mothers milk - so you can do in place of any other protein. Here is what I do to cook it and it is YUMMY!

Rinse in a fine sieve - thoroughly
    One tblsp olive oil - heat on medium
    Chopped shallots - saute until softened - sometimes I add a chopped garlic clove when shallots are soft
    Add quinoa and toast a few minutes
    Veggie or Chicken broth - according to amount of quinoa you use (package directions)
    Lower heat to med low-low and cook for about 15-20 minutes until liquid absorbed
    Add a handful of dried cranberries and toasted sliced almonds - fluff it all together
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    Enjoy
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Replace the water with beef broth, add some mushrooms and a very light sprinkle of grated parm. Reminds me of risotto!
  • brownspicegirl
    Options
    Quinoa with Toasted Almonds and Cranberries

1cup Quinoa
    1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds
    1 cube broth stock
    1 and 1/2 cup boiling water
    1/2tsp salt

1 stick cinnamon
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 dried cranberries

Directions:
    Over medium heat, stir and toast the silvered almonds until golden.
    Add Quinoa and toast a few more minutes until quinoa begins to darken.
    Transfer the toasted quinoa and almonds to a 2quart saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.
    Brings to boil, covered then reduce the heat to simmer for 20 mins.
    Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
    Fluff gently with a fork and serve.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Mmm these sound good. Another stupid question. Do you cook it like rice? The package I have is from a local bakery--the only place that sells it in our area. It just has their store's label and doesn't have cooking directions. Thanks again!
  • vonnegut2767
    Options
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I use a 2:1 water to quinoa ratio, and prepare the same as rice. I actually use my rice-cooker.
    I love quinoa, it's great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something. (RIP Mitch)
  • lainey137
    Options
    Mmm these sound good. Another stupid question. Do you cook it like rice? The package I have is from a local bakery--the only place that sells it in our area. It just has their store's label and doesn't have cooking directions. Thanks again!
  • lainey137
    Options
    cook it like rice, when the little white tails appear then it's done.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Eating Well's website is awesome for recipes, and they have a ton of quinoa recipes:

http://www.eatingwell.com/search/apachesolr_search/quinoa

I can vouch for their Sesame-Honey Tempeh & Quinoa Bowl...it was quite tasty and a welcome change of pace :)
  • sslin2535
    Options
    bump
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Love quinoa!!!

Ok, here is one that I just found that sounds delicious. I haven't made it... yet!

Andean Bean Stew With Winter Squash and Quinoa
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/health/nutrition/06recipehealth.html?_r=1

Here is one that I've made several times

Quinoa Salad With Lime Ginger Dressing and Shrimp
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/health/nutrition/04recipehealth.html?ref=fitnessandnutrition

AND here is a link to the Martha Stewart website that has a photo gallery of 21 delicious looking quinoa recipes that I came across just TODAY! So glad you asked!
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I like it made with salt free chicken stock instead of water. I eat it as a side dish. It's also good with onion and diced tomatoes and seasonings of your choice. I love the nutty, crunchy texture.
  • chevysarah
    Options
    I love quinoa, it's great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something. (RIP Mitch)

Ha ha I love Mitch! RIP indeed.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Quite a few tasty ones on here: http://www.closetcooking.blogspot.com/

Just adjust to your preferences and nutritional interest. I usually omit most of the oil and sub in vegetables I prefer. Great ideas though :) There's a tasty Korean-inspired quinoa salad with kimchi. I've enjoyed that one before :)