Nutrition and Exercise Poll

Options
Weight loss is 70% nutrition and 30% exercise. Do you agree? If not, why?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    100% nutrition for weight loss, 100% exercise for fitness...

It depend what your goal question is. You can exercise all you want, but if you don't have a calorie deficit, weight loss won't occur.
  • Levesque_7
    Options

^^this, couldnt have said it better
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your major weight loss is going to come from eating at a deficit. You can create some of that deficit with exercise but you'll never correct a bad diet with exercise.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    0% Nutrition
    0% Exercise
    100% Calorie Deficit

If you think differently, you're in for a lot of heartbreak.

Nutrition and exercise are fine if you want to be healthy or active or whatever, but they are NOT the key to losing weight. I don't eat "healthy" and I don't exercise, but I'm two pounds away from my goal weight. If nutrition and exercise were necessary for weight loss, I would not be losing weight. I eat fast food and prepackaged foods ALL THE TIME. I don't exercise AT ALL.

IT. IS. ALL. ABOUT. THE. CALORIES. PERIOD.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    0% Nutrition
    0% Exercise
    100% Calorie Deficit

Nutrition and exercise are fine if you want to be healthy or active or whatever, but they are NOT the key to losing weight. I don't eat "healthy" and I don't exercise, but I'm two pounds away from my goal weight. If nutrition and exercise were necessary for weight loss, I would not be losing weight. I eat fast food and prepackaged foods ALL THE TIME. I don't exercise AT ALL.

2cr67aa.jpg
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options

Have to say I agree! I count calories like a Mad Man and exercise 4-5 times a week but when it comes down to it, you have to eat healthy (for the most part). When I first started my routine almost 2 years ago, my sister (whom has been a fitness buff her entire life) told me that would make the biggest difference, eating!
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Both nutrition and exercise depend on willpower and discipline.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Nope-for me it was 100% about restricting calories. I didn't start any sort of exercising (walking) until I went into maintenance.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Both nutrition and exercise depend on willpower and discipline.

And that's why I dispensed with both when I decided to lose weight. I ain't got time for that. :drinker:
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just like anything else it probably differs for everyone. For me I believe that the majority of my weight loss has come on account of tracking what goes in my mouth. I did start out just walking for exercise and have gradually started back at the gym. I also have done quite a bit more golfing without using a cart. I figure lugging a bag of clubs for 2-3 hours accounts for something and my game is actually improving. So it's fun and i look forward to it. But to tone up what I have left I need to go to the gym and lower my body fat and BMI more then I already have. So it probably differs for everyone depending at what stage they are in their weight loss. Just my opinion. :bigsmile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

It depend what your goal question is. You can exercise all you want, but if you don't have a calorie deficit, weight loss won't occur.

Ditto.

In fact the exercise by itself usually has body improvements as effect, and that is weight gain if diet allows.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

It depends on the person. For me it's 55% exercise and 45% nutrition. This is because without the exercise I do, TDEE drops and therefore my caloric deficit drops, because the deficit is a %age of TDEE.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

THIS
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    0% Nutrition
    0% Exercise
    100% Calorie Deficit

This!

cuz my pizza and ice cream last night said so :bigsmile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I neither disagree or agree. It depends what the percentages mean. Effort? Then for me, personally, it's about 90% exercise and 10% diet/nutrition.

A calories deficit is needed for weight loss. When I exercise, I find eating to lose or maintain pretty easy most of the time. Without it, well, without it I get fat.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's not about nutrition or exercise.

It's 100% about how well you've integrated it on your Vision Board.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    It's not about nutrition or exercise.

It's 100% about how well you've integrated it on your Vision Board.

:flowerforyou:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    100% about the calorie deficit, I don't get much exercise, I enjoy a drink and I eat processed foods when I feel like some processed foods and nearly 100 days in it seems to be working
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't occur from exercise but from nutrition/calories.

For optimum health. Put 100% of your efforts towards both.
  • Siansonea
    Options
    Weight loss doesn't occur from exercise but from nutrition/calories.

For optimum health. Put 100% of your efforts towards both.

And if you don't have 100% effort to start with, and if you really just want to lose weight, just count calories, ACCURATELY, and stay below 80% of your TDEE calorie total. Profit. You can always do that optimum health stuff after you lose weight, those gyms aren't going anywhere. :drinker: