One year later on MFP, lost 72 pounds! w/pics

Options
One year ago today, I joined MyFitnessPal and it's been an awesome experience for me. Here's my story... I was a pudgy kid who slimmed out in high school and could basically eat whatever I wanted with my activity level. In first year of university, I added 30 lbs! By 2001, I was up to 230 lbs due to bad habits (over-eating and low activity). In 2011, I hit my lowest point... with my inactive lifestyle and poor eating habits, I was up over 275 lbs, probably higher (I stopped weighing myself for a long while).

By New Year's 2012, I turned 38 and I was very unhappy with my health. I had terrible anxiety, poor sleeping and eating habits, and no energy at all. I set a goal to do something about it, and by the end of January 2012 I joined a gym. I set a goal to lose at least 30 lbs by my 39th birthday. I started with cardio (walking, jogging, running), and had a tiny bit of success. By Oct 2012 I was down to 258 lbs. So after 10 months of huffing and puffing in the gym 3-4 times per week, I was down about 17 lbs. Pretty discouraging to say the least, and no where near my goal of 30 lbs.

I heard about MFP, and thought "Hey, it couldn't hurt!". I finally figured out my problem - I was still eating way too many calories and I was a poor judge of my TDEE. I won't bore you with a play-by-play of what happened next, but I will give you the highlights. I ramped up my exercise, drank lots of water, I ate all of my exercise calories back every day, and the weight kept falling off. I set a goal of losing a total of 70 pounds by my 40th birthday and as of today I'm down 72 lbs!

I'm happier with my physical and mental health than I've been for years. My wife is making a lifestyle change too and she's down over 60 lbs!

Thanks to the MFP community, I don't know what I would have done without you. I'm not on maintenance yet, but I'm getting close. Add me if you'd like a supportive pal to join you on your own journey.

Before, 2011 - 275 lbs+
10874520144_82aace3f46_o_d.jpg

After, Nov 2013 - 186 lbs
10874520394_01f457c9fa_o_d.jpg

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!