Very First 5k RACE!! woohoo!

Options
Hello All! So this Sunday I have my very first 5k race. I need some advice on what to do with the rest of my time before as far as training goes. I have been running a lot since august (really a lot all year but especially now) and I have had a few weeks of 28 ish miles, but I would say my average is 20 miles a week or 3-4 miles per time. last week was great. I alternated days of just working on endurance by setting the treadmill a little lower than normal and not doing incline, working on sprinting and working on incline. I also tried to get off the treadmill and run on the track on day and outside another day. So this week (starting Monday) I suddenly had a block. I have not really had even one good run this week and it is making me nervous for Sunday. I would say my goal is simply to finish the race, but I would like to do it in under 40 mins. I know I can I just need some kind of push...any ideas? tonight I have personal training (we do a strength circuit of 60 mins) and I was going to try to do an endurance run after. Tomorrow I was going to run outside, saturday I was going to pick up my packet and walk the course and Sunday is the race.
sound like a good idea? too much? too little? any other advice?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• JennBennett410
    Options
    Good luck and have an awesome time. I just did mine two weeks and I cried finishing. I just signed up for my first half marathon! OMG! GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    There was an article in the oct issue of Runners mag that talked about how to prep for your race the week of. make your long run at the beginning of the week and taper off. I have my first 5k nov 6th and an 8K on Dec 5th. I can't wait!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    wormy_waving.gif
    You are doing so great, proud of you.
  • gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have prepared well. I would say just try and relax and have fun with it. With all that you sound like you're doing you will do great!
  • foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU!!

I say don't stress it too much. If you consistanty are running, your body will be able to handle the 5K with no worries. Just make a goal to keep jogging the whole time, even if at turtle speed.

Warm up, maybe have some good tunes going if you are in to that, don't drink too much at the water stations, match pace with someone similar to your usual speed (if not even a little faster!) and have fun!

5K's are fun and it is a great way to meet others in your community that you could possibly be running buddies with.

Best of luck and please keep us posted! A finish line photo is a must!
  • trickyfoxster710
    trickyfoxster710 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I did the Baltimore 5k too! love your pick!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    First of all CONGRATS! on your first race. It is exciting isnt it. I just did my first 5k last month, my time was 32.43! I was totally excited about that because I averaged @ 33-34 minutes while training. I will tell you that running outdoors is so different than running on a treadmill for me. (road is more difficult) and I will tell you when your in the race with all the people and the music and the excitement, I was able to push myself harder just from excitment! :bigsmile:
    Sounds like you are right on track, just relax, have fun and enjoy it! You will feel so accomplished when you finish! Good luck!
    I am doing a 10K in November :noway:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Congrats, enjoy the race and take it slow in the start. Most people start too fast and get tired half way through. I advice you to push yourself in the last mile or close to the finish line. SAVE YOUR ENERGY! Good luck. Have fun. I did my second 5k this last weekend.
  • clohessy
    clohessy Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You will do fine. I just did my first 5k a month ago. I did a 10k last saturday. Just don't over train and wear your self down. Make sure you stretch before and after. You will be surprized how well you will do. Find YOUR pace at the beginning don't get caught up in anothers that are faster than yours. Stick to this for the good majority of race if you do you can pick up the pace at the end. The one thing I noticed was alot of new runners went too fast in the beginning and burnt out. My finish times were better than I ever ran I never set a goal for my self except to finish. Good Luck ! You will do great.
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Best advice I was ever given was don't change anything the day of the reace....don't change eating, drinking, clothing, pace, shoes etc.

Good luck!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks sooo much for the encouragement and advice. you guys are amazing :) Ill be sure to update after!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Well folks I just finished my race and I did it in 29:26!!! I saw my watch ticking down to 30 mins, and sprinted hardcore the last 1/8 mile to finish in under 30. I have never felt so accomplished and proud and I cried for a good fifteen minutes afterward. like outright bawling. Thanks so much to everyone who believed in me.