HOLIDAYS FOODS...WHAT DO I DO.....SMH...HELP...

Options
GOOD MORNING TO ALL...PLEASE HELP ME.... DONT WANT TO OVER DO IT FOR THE HOLIDAYS & SCARED TO DEATH TO GAIN...MY FAMILY DOESNT SUPPORT ME AT ALL...THEY ARE FROM PUERTO RICO & LOOK AT ME WEIRD IF I DONT EAT ALL THE TRADITIONAL FOODS...THEY SAY VERY UGLY COMMENTS TO ME & TRY TO DISCOURAGE ME FEEL ALONE AT THIS THANKS IN ADVANCE....

Replies

• OliveDove18
    Options
    My suggestion would be to eat a little bit of everything, just take much smaller portions then you usually would. I have some family who make snark remarks when I don't eat the amount that I usually do but I just tell them- My stomach is off and I don't feel well. That usually backs them off. Usually I feel just fine though :) I am a foodie and I can't look at all the delicious food and not eat it, so I just eat one or two bites of everything. I usually stay right around my calorie goal by doing this. Eat slowly, it will help you get full faster :) good luck this holiday season, you can do it!
  • sammie121403
    sammie121403 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Use a smaller plate, and try stuff you normally eat....just keep is small. Another thing I learned was, after youre done eating, if the food is still out, keep your back to it (out of sight out of mind) so you do not go back for more or start picking. It has helped me at parties that have that awesomely delicious food that is not so great, lol. Also, just take a deep breath and remember, you are doing this for you, and I am sure that when they see your results, they will be happy you stuck to it. And i totally get where youre coming form on the support thing, I have most people thinking I am sick because i am "too skinny" and people in my area are a little curvier due to family meals being bountiful.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got tons of family parties over the holidays, don't worry about it. Set aside those few special days (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, for example) and let yourself enjoy the traditional festive foods at the holiday meal. Stick to your calorie goal for the rest of the time.

It's not one or two blow-out meals that will derail your progress, it's using "the holidays" as an excuse to pick up a cookie every time you pass a plate of them, every day for weeks at a time.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I try to bring a couple of dishes I've made, so I know exactly what's in them and can track accordingly. I also treat it like every other meal. I take a look at what's offered, and make a plan in my head. Just because there's gobs of food and choices, doesn't mean I have to sample everything, or overindulge.

If it's just too much temptation, you can still plan ahead. Do more exercise that day, before you go, and minimize the calories you intake beforehand.

I'm sorry about your family. I know it's hard when you don't feel like you have any support. Just keep in your head that you're doing what you know is good for you, not for anyone else. You don't have to prove or show it to anyone else, just YOU.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Fill up on veggies first (bring a veggie dish)..then eat ONLY what you are totally in love with food wise..for instance, I LOVE stuffing but I am "meh" about mashed potatoes...I am going to indulge but get right back on it the next day! :)
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    eat something before you go - doesn't have to be much, like a salad so you can honestly tell them you aren't all that hungry. you'll also find that it keeps you from craving all those tempting foods. Also, drink plenty of water while with your family. I add lemon to my water and it makes me feel more full.

I also take a small helping of the foods I like. I have NOOOOO problem telling anyone what I will not or do not like to eat and if they make an ugly comment, I put it right back at them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!