Is a wrap healthy?

Options
For lunch I've started to have a plain tortilla wrap (Sainsbury's be good to yourself) and all I have inside is pieces of turkey. Sounds ridiculously boring I know buuuuuut it actually tastes so good.

However all I keep thinking when I eat the wrap is how I might as well just be eating bread and I should be avoiding carbs.

Is this a really bad lunch? Is there is more healthy substitute?

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Why are you avoiding carbs?

ETA: Medical reason?

I ask because lots of people cut back on carbs and cut them out and then they reach their goal weight. They start eating them again and gain the weight back, because unless you cut back on carbs for the rest of your life, it's just not sustainable.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    If you like it, eat and account for it. No food is inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy".
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    There are no good or bad foods. If you are eating at a deficit you will lose weight. If you're hitting your macros, you are eating "healthy". I eat almost 200g of carbs a day and it has not affected my weight loss.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Just a wrap & turkey sounds kinda boring, imo. I would add some baby spinach leaves, or lettuce, and Sriracha sauce, even a piece or two of bacon. The "healthiness" of wraps varies greatly, gotta read the labels.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    I eat what I want, drink what I want. I do it in moderation. It's about moderation not deprivation. The changes I've made have lasted me over a year and a half. I've dropped 50 lbs (minor set back - emotional eater) but getting that back on track.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    There are no good or bad foods. If you are eating at a deficit you will lose weight. If you're hitting your macros, you are eating "healthy". I eat almost 200g of carbs a day and it has not affected my weight loss.

This also...

There are no good or bad foods.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

I like this advice.

When I saw the topic here all I could think was "wraps can be very healthy, it just depends on what you put in them!" Not "ooh the wrap itself is carbs and therefore EVIL!" ;-)

I think it sounds perfectly nice but I'd miss other things in it, like some lettuce or sprouts or pieces of veggie, pepper, etc. Adding those things would ALSO make it even healthier and only cost you a few more calories in the long run :-)
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size etc of the wrap, it can have about as many carbs as a slice of bread.

That said, if it fits, and you like it, go for it. But I would add some lettuce and veggies or something :wink:
  • alphabull
    alphabull Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of wraps, 6-7 a week. There's nothing bad about them. I would suggest mixing up the stuffing in them and getting good wraps. Right now I use either the Flat Out wraps or the Ole wraps, both are about 90 cals each. The Ole spinach wrap is really good. Also throw 4-8 oz of baked or grilled chicken breast meat in there. Great protein. Also like others said add some greens in, baby spinach, cabbage, onion and tomatoes. I like taking some Hellmans lite mayo and mixing it with pureed chipolte pepper sauce for a low cal spread. There is so many things you can do with a wrap, don't get in a rut with it.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I have to watch it with wraps, for the sodium content. That said, I've found a brand that packs a good amount of fiber in for the carbs: Ole Xtreme Wellness High Fiber Low Carb Tortilla Wraps. 90 calories, 1 serving of carbs, but 350mg of sodium, so I'm trying to stop it at one. Having one tonight, in fact. They're pretty tasty, and not dry at all.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I you are concerned about lack of nutrition or carbs try looking for "Flat Out" wraps they are loaded with protein and fiber (they so still have carbs) but they are a better choice than a plain flour tortilla.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    If you like it, eat and account for it. No food is inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy".

yep! :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    carbs aren't inherently "unhealthy"....no food is inherently "unhealthy"...everything has to be put into context and dosage. There are more nutrient dense foods and less nutrient dense foods. You basically want to eat a balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods...a balanced diet would include carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are your body's rocket fuel.

If you are rather sedentary or have a diet that is super high carb, you could benefit from cutting back...but really, if you're active at all, carbs are pretty frackin' important. No way I could ride the way I ride and lift the way I lift with no carbs...I'd be flat on my *kitten*.
  • kristina_m
    kristina_m Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, great advice so far.

I'm just trying to eat more protein (hence the turkey) and yes whilst I'm eating it all I can think is the wrap is an evil carb haha. I do agree that you do need some carbs.

The wraps I am eating are around 130 calories.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    wait, so deep fried oreos is not a bad food???
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, great advice so far.

I'm just trying to eat more protein (hence the turkey) and yes whilst I'm eating it all I can think is the wrap is an evil carb haha. I do agree that you do need some carbs.

The wraps I am eating are around 130 calories.

You need to get it out of your head that carbs are in any way "evil"...they are just one of three macro-nutrients required by your body. They just happen to be the latest and greatest dietary "boogie man"...kinda like dietary fat in the 80's. I eat all the carbs and have easily lost 40 lbs...without them my training would be absolutely horrid.

There are certainly medical reasons for which some individuals should really watch their carbs...but really, a balanced diet that for example is 40C/30P/30F is going to be just fine for most people. When I'm actively training for an endurance event, my carb intake is usually more like 55%....otherwise I just keep a pretty balanced macro ratio.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    wait, so deep fried oreos is not a bad food???

If you have the calories/macros for it, no. No-one will be telling you to eat only deep fried oreos, but they will tell you they are OK as a treat if you can make it fit. And why not? Even a small amount of trans-fat isn't going to give you an instant heart attack. Moderation is the key.

Damn it. Now I want a deep fried oreo!
  • kjimmie4848
    kjimmie4848 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Flat Out flat bread? I eat these wraps all the time and they come in Italian flavor that makes an incredible pizza crust. 90 cals and 5 net carbs
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    To other commenters: the OP is in the United Kingdom (at least I'm guessing that, due to the reference to Sainsburys), so specific brand recommendations probably aren't helpful. (If I'm wrong, let me know where Sainsburys have expanded beyond the UK!)

To the OP: I've noticed that a lot of wraps are quite high in fat. That can be good or bad, but it's quite possible that many of those calories are from fats, not carbohydrates. I tend to think that as long as your diet isn't extremely imbalanced, calorie restriction is more important (unless you have specific goals, such as trying to build muscle as quickly as possible). We have evolved to be omnivores, after all.