For those who can't or don't exercise.

Options
I'm physically incapable of preforming any type of exercise that involves my lower back. So walking, riding my stationary bike, sit ups, push ups, etc. those are just out of the question. What else does that leave? I've been doing great on my calorie intake, but
I'm afraid it won't be enough to help me lose the weight that I'm in desperate need to lose.

So my question is to those of you who can't or don't exercise, how are you doing?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    All that is necessary to lose weight, is to be in a calorie deficit. That's it. Exercise is more about your overall health and fitness. Eat at a 15 - 20 % deficit from your TDEE and you will lose. Good luck!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to exercise - calorie deficit is what it is about. If you want to exercise you might want to look into water activities - usually a bit easier on the body.
  • nlb1106
    nlb1106 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You could always try to do some swimming if you feel like you want to do some exercise. You can just take it easy go at your own pace
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As far as losing weight goes, it is just that calories in vs calories out.

Exercise helps increase the calories out.

I generally believe that people underestimate the overall total calories out for 'heavy lifting', which is why so many really like it.

Have you looked at a recumbent style bike? The seating position may help (or may not, of course).
  • mikelann93
    Options
    I love swimming! but unfortunately I live in a small town where there isn't a pool within 40 miles.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you can't exercise you can still lose weight. For the past month I haven't done any form of exercise at all, just doing my daily running around (school drop off/pick up for kids etc) & chores. Things have just been crazy & I've been extremely sick with bronchitis & sinus infection so I've gotten in no exercise at all. But each week I continue to lose, sometimes small amounts (last wk it was 0.4lbs) & other times more (this wk 1.8lbs). Despite the lack of exercise, I've kept my food on track always & my body just doesn't want me to be obese anymore so its just getting rid of it all. This is the 2nd time since I started my journey back in Feb that I've had a long stretch of no exercise but sometimes life just simply gets in the way, its not possible to always put ourselves first so we do what we can. I had really severe back pain (bulging discs) when I started this & couldn't walk for mths without help but within weeks it improved big time from losing weight. I started out using wii fit, then we got an elliptical & I love it, doesn't hurt my back at all.

Would you be able to do some small stuff like using Wii Fit? There are a variety of small exercises on there that you could do at your own pace & not hurt your back if you are still looking for something you can do.

Good luck!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    My gym has a "hand bike" that can give you a real workout. There are isolated leg machines like leg extension or leg curls & calves that don't involve lower back. If you wear a lifting belt you could possibly do some lifting like curls or tricep pushdowns, etc. The key is to start out VERY light and avoid those exercises that cause you discomfort.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe pullups? I'm pretty sure those don't use the lower body, but I don't know if they use the lower back.

I have a minor tear in my meniscus and can only ride a stationary bike, walk for short distances on flat, even surfaces, or swim without torquing my knee, so I've been doing more pushups and pullups.
  • Kyttiara
    Kyttiara Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    What is your lower back problem? I have 2 fused vertebrae, so I'm no stranger to lower back problems!
  • LMJS
    LMJS Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have recently been doing 30DS and one of the cardio sections is punches. Jillian Michaels says during it that its a great way to get some cardio into your day if you have lower back problems. You can look up the video on you tube to watch what they do if you don't have access to it - it's in level 1 during the second round of cardio.
    Good luck! I hope you manage to find something that works for you :flowerforyou:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Due to long working hours, spending as much time as I can with the family and the basic fact that I am a lazy git I don't get much in the way of exercise either. I drive for a living mostly the car but often the computer

Calorie deficit is working for me at the moment
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Can you walk in the pool? It's walking, yes, but the water provides lots of support. Or can you even try swimming? How about a recombinant bike -- the kind where you sit upright, as in a chair, with only your legs moving? They make recombinant stationary bikes, which probably use the back even less.
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    U can do air punches to really get the HR up.
    Not sure how mobile you are but walking is also good.
    Also, is this a temporary if long term issue? Are back strengthening excersises an option?

Also on you tube tiffany rothe has a seated workout. There are probably heaps of others if you look.
  • mikelann93
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone! It's just so frustrating. I'm not able to get my hands on any kind of equipment. I can't afford to buy any, and there isn't a gym in the town I live in. I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back, and 1 ruptured disc. My right leg is losing mobility, I've been spending my days in bed for the past 2 months. I had surgery 3 years ago, and I was able to get back to normal living until last November.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you want to exercise, a reclining bike might work well for you. It gives really good support to the lower back. I know quite a few people that were limited just to pool work and reclining bike work until their back got better.