A plea for a little advice

Options
So this is me "getting started." I have always had weight problems. And though I have successfully lost weight in the past, I have maintained a steady gain for the past 5 or 6 years which has taken me from around 235 lbs to scale topping 300. I am now 27 years old and for the first time in my life I feel that my weight is now an elephant in the room, and he's sitting me.

I was able to quit smoking earlier this summer and I would like to try and lose a few (read "many") pounds. The problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing. I got rid of all my carbs, no more bread, rice or pasta, and have cut meat consumption to boneless, skinless chicken breast. I now gorge myself on cabbage, broccoli florets and fruit. That has stopped my weight gain, but a few weeks in, I've only lost a few lbs and every thing is starting to taste like crap and I can just see myself falling off the band wagon one more time.

What is good to eat, and how can I prepare it so eating doesn't feel like an exercise in cruel and unusual punishment?

Truly yours,
Etipiez

Replies

• FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    " I got rid of all my carbs, no more bread, rice or pasta, and have cut meat consumption to boneless, skinless chicken breast. I now gorge myself on cabbage, broccoli florets and fruit"

^ STOP THIS

I am in your shoes almost exactly. I am 28 years old, was Low 200s in college. since college I have gotten to 300+ .... I am down almost 20 lbs. I eat carbs (whole wheat when i can) I eat steak, chicken, turkey, pork.
    If you keep eating as you are you will do just what you fear. I have been there and done that. It is no fun living your life feeling like you have to give up everything. Especially when you look at people around you all eating what you want but think you cant have. If you want a steak - order the smaller size. Or get the big one, cut it in half, and use the second for a steak sandwich. Moderation is key. FIgure out how many calories you should intake daily for a stead 2lb/wk loss.
    You said it yourself : it took 5-6 years to get where you are. Let it take 1-2 years to come off and you will be the better for it.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    * eat at a 15 - 20% deficit of your TDEE
    * weigh and measure every bite of food you eat
    * log every bite of food you eat
    * eat foods you like that will fit in your macros/work on meeting your macros
    * find some kind of exercise you enjoy and then start doing it 3 - 4 times a week
    * keep going and don't quit
    * have a ton of patience - this is going to take a while

This really has to be your decision. You have to want this more than anything else in your life. You are the one that will make it happen. No one can do it for you. You can be one of the successful ones. I tried for years and when I finally decided it was what I really wanted - nothing or no one is going to stop me from reaching my goal. Best of luck!
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am in your shoes almost exactly. I am 28 years old, was Low 200s in college. since college I have gotten to 300+ .... I am down almost 20 lbs. I eat carbs (whole wheat when i can) I eat steak, chicken, turkey, pork.
    If you keep eating as you are you will do just what you fear. I have been there and done that. It is no fun living your life feeling like you have to give up everything. Especially when you look at people around you all eating what you want but think you cant have. If you want a steak - order the smaller size. Or get the big one, cut it in half, and use the second for a steak sandwich. Moderation is key. FIgure out how many calories you should intake daily for a stead 2lb/wk loss.
    You said it yourself : it took 5-6 years to get where you are. Let it take 1-2 years to come off and you will be the better for it.

/\
    I
    I

This is exceptional advice :)

I have to admit, Ive never been anywhere near 300+lbs but I have fallen of the wagon MANY times :(

Im a chocoholic and sweet tooth maniac... and every time I 'dieted' I would restrict myself to all the 'Healthy' foods (veg, boneless, skinless meat etc).. and every time i would fail, due to the fact that by removing the tasty stuff from my diet completely i would crave the exact stuff i was trying to avoid... on top of that, I would also detest the stuff I was actually eating (I havent eaten tomatoes in 3 years just because i cant stomach them any more :( )

Everything in moderation is what I have been learning this time round

This is NOT a diet, the IS a life changing decision.

Work out your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate)
    and your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)

http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx

then chose your meals that are tasty and meet the calories you require (you want to be above your BMR but not too near your TDEE

Once you know how many calories WORK FOR YOU, you will find yourself losing the weight AND feeling a lot more satisfied about your meals.

I hope this helps

Good luck on your journey

Feel free to add me if you wish :)
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want! (especially the first hundred pounds or so down) just count it!

just count the calories and move on. feel free to check out my diary..i don't eat cabbage!!!

tonight I am having a 1/3 pound turkey burger with homemade fries for dinner. I will still have enough left for coffee and ice cream!
    you do not have to eat nothing but cabbage, but you do have to plan and commit!!!
  • OttoIsGoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Lots of good advice here. I am 31 and started just shy of 300 and have lost quite a bit now. Just log what you eat and want to lose weight.

I was 205-210 until I was injured overseas. I came home, ate and ballooned up to 298 for the last 4 years.

You can do it. Lots of inspirational people and pcs on this MFP thing.

Good luck!

Otto
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You don't mention any exercise....I'm starting at a mood depressing 316 lbs....having a good week. I am what they call a couch potato...er I was....my job is pretty physical so when I got home I was parking my carcass on the couch and watching TV....for the last 6 nights I have been on my elliptical machine for 30-40 every single night...while watching the tube...that and cutting out almost all my snacks has helped me immensely.

You have to exercise. Start out at 10 mins a night...even if it is just walking up and down the driveway...add 5 mins every week....just get up and move around...it's a huge help.

Also I find if I do my exercise at night I don't feel like raiding the pantry for chips and crud....exercise is a good appetite suppressant.

Let's be friends!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You're going about this all wrong. Not only can you eat your favorite food, you should, just cut back on the portions and increase your exercise. The quickest way to fail on this journey is to make it difficult, and eating boring food is difficult. Carbs are not the devil, protein exists in more than just chicken breast's. Eat real food, and control your intake, that's it.

Rigger
  • kmyers4545
    kmyers4545 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting out, too. I'm about 2 months in. I used to beat myself up when I didn't lose the weight fast enough, or when I cheated. Now, I focus on being consistent about logging in. I think logging in consistently to watch your eating habits is a great way to start. Then you can sloooowly start to modify your eating habits, learn a few good recipes, and not deprive yourself!! I also believe adding a little exercise in the mix is great. No need to push too much. Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to be patient (sucks!!). But this community is very supportive, so keep checking in with us!
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! Denying yourself food is a quick way to burn yourself out quickly! I know I always want an "easy" solution of just a handful of foods I can always eat, but that just leads to cravings and frustrations. I definitely believe in giving things a try, but don't force yourself to eat foods you've learned you don't like or that bore you. Instead, write down everything you eat and take smaller portions of it--I often cook up several meals worth of something, but package it and put away all servings but one into the refrigerator before I even start eating.

Just take it a day at a time.

Also, like hikezilla said, add a little exercise in, too. Get yourself more active than you were, and set goals. And like with the food, don't do stuff that bores you.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Everything on here so far is good. However, personally I find the TDE method just far too complicated. What I did was to complete the personal info in MFP, and to set my target weight loss to something sensible. (Not more than 2lb/week). It then works out how many calories you can eat to meet your goals. Make sure you eat back your exercise calories - MFP works out your healthy calorie deficit so if you burn more, you need to eat more. You will soon learn what the calorific foods are and hence how to moderate them. Above all, eat a little of whatever you want if you have the calories available! No food is forbidden! And enjoy it!
  • CSO200
    CSO200 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree that balance and variety in your diet is more important than fast weight loss. I suggest baby steps. :)

Week 1. Drink 2 cups of water before breakfast, lunch and supper, and at least 2 more cups during the day. Feel free to put a little lemon or lime juice in it.

Week 2. Choose 3 or 4 different healthy breakfasts that are fast and easy. Suggestions: steel cut oatmeal with fruit and walnuts, veggie egg white omelettes, greek yogurt and fruit smoothie kits in the freezer.

Week 3. Choose several easy and healthy lunches and add to your list of good ideas (post inside your kitchen cupboard door or on your fridge). i.e. salad & chicken and apple, fish and steamed vegetables, soup and high fibre bread, Sandwich made with very thinly sliced bread and extra vegetables.

Week 4 is healthy suppers (make sure you are still doing 1, 2 and 3).

Week 5 is a list of healthy snacks. I make sure snacks are under 100 calories. I usually take an apple and 1/2 ounce of cheese to work for 1 snack, and have greek yogurt for my 2nd snack.

Also: Never ever ever, go to the grocery store hungry! Journal everything…even when you cheat….and use it to decide how to make a better choice next time. I either order a low calorie meal at a restaurant or….if I indulge in a higher calorie option, I take half the meal home for the next day….(and eat really really slow and drink lots of water lol)