Winter Nomnoms

Options
Cedura
Cedura Posts: 184 Member
Its getting colder, and comfort foods have always been my "go-to" food for a nice hot winter meal.

Foods like Loaded Potato Soup, Pasta Alfredo, fried foods, are all hot, delicious, and full of unwanted calories and fats.

Recently I have tried to go for chili as an alternative to my usual comfort food vices, but what else do you all go for?

Feel free to share food ideas for warming winter meals:

Replies

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian so my go to cold weather meals are meat free. You can easily add meat to them if you like.
    ~Vegetable soup with barley or pasta
    ~ 16 bean soup with veggies
    ~butternut squash soup (I will make a large batch in Fall and freeze. Then I can have during the winter)
    ~onion soup
    ~Tomato soup with grilled cheese
    ~Vegetable stews
    ~Lentils loaded with vegetables
    ~Vegetable pot pie
    ~Bean chili
  • Cedura
    Options
    I make a chicken noodle I freeze and thaw as I need. I will have to try a butternut squash because that sounds delicious! So does a veggie stew, and beef stock would be easy to add with the fat skimmed off.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My crockpot is my best friend in the kitchen, and it's great for wintertime suppers. I make dal very frequently, and lots of other soups and curries, too. Using the crockpot works well to reduce the fat in soup recipes.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Curried lentil quinoa soup and veg chili and butternut squash soup with coconut milk:)
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I made a noodle-less chicken noodle soup. I put in Baked spaghetti squash for the noodles. It was so darn good!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    I posted the recipe I use with detailed steps, nutritional information and pictures on my blog here.
    (I have not updated this site in a long time so it looks pretty crummy now)
    http://luvndolphin.blogspot.com/
  • Cedura
    Options
    Thanks Nettie, I will check the recipe out!

Substituting the pasta out of soup, I had never thought of that. I could do a rice also.
  • MetalPisces
    MetalPisces Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My crockpot is my best friend in the kitchen, and it's great for wintertime suppers. I make dal very frequently, and lots of other soups and curries, too. Using the crockpot works well to reduce the fat in soup recipes.

Amen!! That's how I make most of my meals, roasts, ribs, stews, boiled dinners, so good!
  • JNettie73
    Options
    I made a noodle-less chicken noodle soup. I put in Baked spaghetti squash for the noodles. It was so darn good!

That is a really good idea!
  • Mahihkan
    Mahihkan Posts: 162
    Options

This!

Everything you can do in the crockpot!
    I just adore my (either chicken or beef "bavette") with salsa!
  • MetalPisces
    MetalPisces Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Also low sugar Swiss Miss cocoa...mmmmmmm!!

Also I make a dessert "junk" cake 1 box low sugar cake mix (chocolate preferably), low sugar instant pudding made with skim and light whipped cream, and some crushed Heath bars, 1 cup is like 200 cals, chocolately GOODNESS!! (clearly I'm a chocoholic)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It's crock pot season! :heart:
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Chili is absolutely delicious mmmm sounds good right now :P
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I discovered this a couple weeks ago...my hubby is now continually asking for it.

I added tomatoes and carrots to the veggies for roasting.

http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/clean-eating-roasted-vegetable-soup/
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini noodles (Zoodles) in place of pasta and save tons of calories that way, plus it's really good!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of onions, potatoes, cabbage, and canned crushed tomatoes. I also live by the microwave.
    Here's a sample recipe:

1. Slice a large potato, spread slices out on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a second plate. Microwave for 10 minutes.
    2. Dice a large onion, spread out on a microwave-safe plate. When the potato is done, use its covering plate to cover the onions and microwave the onions for 10 minutes. During this time, divide the cooked potato slices evenly into two microwave-safe bowls and mash. Add a few shakes of hot sauce to each bowl.
    3. For each bowl, measure out and crumble two ounces of cheddar.
    4. When the onions are done, divide them evenly into the two bowls.
    5. Microwave both bowls for five minutes. Remove and thoroughly mix the ingredients in each bowl separately.

Yields two servings. Each serving contains 393 calories (40g carbs, 18g fat, 18g protein).

I use cabbage as a keep-warm snack food that I just microwave and eat, with nothing else added.

Also, I'll typically mix a half can of crushed tomatoes with 2 oz. cheddar and a whole diced onion and heat that, for 413 calories (41g carbs, 18g fat, 22g protein). (Edited to add that the full can of crushed tomatoes is 28 oz.)
  • CSO200
    CSO200 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use recipes from Skinnytaste.com
    I make lots of soups, heavy on the vegetables, light on the meat. i.e. tomatoes, onions, peppers (sweet and hot), cabbage,lean ground meat (turkey, chicken or beef), with spices. Sometimes I add cooked brown rice. I also leave out the cabbage and rice and throw in some beans for chill. We use a lot of hot peppers. I make squash soup with coconut milk and thai chill sauce and chicken broth - really easy and really good.
  • Cedura
    Options
    The trash cake sounds delicious! I too am a chocoholic, and get my "fix" with cheap coco (water and no milk).

I asked the grocer if they care Zoodles, and they had never heard of them. Do you buy these at a health food store? Or is it something I grocer will just have to order?
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Lots of soup!!! Especially French Onion, it's pretty simple to make plus all the onions and garlic help keep you healthy.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The trash cake sounds delicious! I too am a chocoholic, and get my "fix" with cheap coco (water and no milk).

I asked the grocer if they care Zoodles, and they had never heard of them. Do you buy these at a health food store? Or is it something I grocer will just have to order?

I think you typically make them yourself by shredding zucchini. You wouldn't really want to boil them, because they'd get mushy really fast, so maybe sautee them a little to cook them?