looking for advice for couch-to-5k

Hi everyone,
I have been exercising every day for about 4months now a mix of walking, dancing, combat, step, high and low impact cardio, weighted aerobics & fitness such as squats, crunches,planks etc I am overweight with at least another 10kgs to go closer to 15kg really. (im 85kgs and 173cm female)
I am getting fitter now, & I would love to be able to RUN. I got the c5k app for my ipod. Before I start the program I would like to know if
*anyone else has been able to complete it whilst being overweight.
* Did everyone get to 5k in the time period or did it take longer?
* Do I need to lose more weight first?
Any advice on others experience of c5k or running in generall would be fantastic. Thanx :smile:

Replies

• Hi Bird_3_lee
    You will be able to complete it easily. I was way more overweight than you (135kg) and had less of a fitness base than your 4 months of exercising and I managed to do it without having to repeat a week. By the the end of the 8 weeks I could jog for 30mins nonstop, but I wasn't doing 5km in that time. But I deliberately took it easy because I didn't want the risk of injury like shin splints or foot pain to derail my effort. Build slowly and don't go too hard too soon.
    You will smash this and good luck with it :)
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    You can't compare yourself to anyone else. I am on week 4 and one day may be easier than the next. If you can't run the whole time you are suppose to, walk but just do that day over again. You can move on at your own pace.
  • SteveStedge1
    SteveStedge1 Posts: 149 Member
    One thing I would recommend is stretch really well and take it easy. Listen to your body. If somethign feels OFF do NOT run through it.

I did and got plantar fasciitis...which is a fancy way of saying I didnt stretch, ran in the cold, and tore my arch in my foot.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    I've never done the C25K (though I've heard really good things about it here on the boards from people who were far more overweight / out of shape than you, so I think you should be fine), but my biggest recommendation is to go to a specialty running store and get properly fitted for a pair of running shoes. The right shoes can make an enormous difference; it's really worth getting a gait analysis done and investing in a decent pair of shoes.

Happy running! :flowerforyou:
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    You can definitely do it overweight, it's an awesome program. Incorporate squats while you're training, it helped me get faster :). Eat at a deficit, do C25K, incorporate strength training, you'll be well own your way to goal.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Is there an app for this? Or is it a website?
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    I started the program at 240lbs and I am only 5ft3, anyone can do it!
    I agree with what others have said, make sure you stretch!
    I repeated only a few days, so for the most part was right on schedule.
    You can do this! :drinker:
  • mrspinky85
    mrspinky85 Posts: 79 Member
    I am only on week 2 but yes there is an app and a website you can visit. I am overweight but I said screw it because I go to do something. Good luck all who tried and can't wait to get to week 8 :)
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    There is an iOS (Apple) app, not sure about Android. It is also a website. The app is to help you while you run/walk. Plays your music, tells you when to start running and walking, and when to cool start your cool down and warm up.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Zen Labs makes a pretty good app for both a 5k and 10k on android.

OP: The program is designed for people such as yourself, you'll do just fine, as long as you stick to it.

To echo what others have said, make sure you do a proper warm up and stretch.
  • KGill67
    KGill67 Posts: 87 Member
    Go for it! C25k programs are designed for beginners; given your current fitness level, I bet you'll have no trouble at all.

Most people are not able to run 5K in 30 minutes by the end of the program. Most people can run 5K, or they can run for 30 minutes, but not both. Don't worry about it - speed comes with additional training and logging more miles. I finished a C25K program in July, and now run 10K races, but still haven't done 5K in under 30 minutes.

Have fun!
  • bird_3_lee
    bird_3_lee Posts: 64 Member
    :smile: Thankyou all so much for your wonderfull advice. I will take it.
    The weather is terrible where I live at the moment but as soon as it clears up and I get a decent pair of running shoes I"m going to run my heart out.
    I always do a warm up, cool down and stretch when I workout. Are there specific stretches I need to do after a run?
    I'm going to join the mfp group for c25k too
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    The real point of C25K is to get you into the regular habit of running.

I am the world's slowest runner. Seriously, other people casually stroll by my side as I "jog." So while I can certainly run for 30 minutes or more now thanks to finishing C25K without getting winded, I usually don't make it to 3K. I usually get to about 1.75K instead. It's okay, though, you get faster with time. The point is to keep it moving :)