Everything is too big on me! Awesome but frustrating?!

Options

Replies

• ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel ya. Basically everything I have is too big. I bought two new jeans and three slacks because I absolutely had to, and one new sweater because all my sweaters go down to my crotch. Hell even my underwear is too big now, and I swim in my workout clothes.

The kicker is I bought a $1800 suit last year that is waaay too big now.
  • rockinjennydee
    rockinjennydee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Tip: Buy on eBay!! I LOVE Gap jeans -- they fit my body type perfectly, especially the jeggings. Gap jeans are like, $60... on eBay, I can get them for $25 brand new.

Usually I'll try on clothes in a store, then go find it on eBay for cheaper.

And congrats!!

Great idea! I've been worried about buying clothes that I know will only be journey clothes...not GOAL clothes...and I don't want to spend a ton of money on em. I'm gonna give myself another 20 before I start buying...even though my current clothes is already saggin!
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Thrift Stores and Consignment shops! Otherwise buy essentials like tights and belts so you can still make you big clothes look alright ;) Congrats on your success!:flowerforyou:
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are a great idea! It also wouldn't hurt to take some of your favorite clothes to a tailor to see if any can be taken in to fit you again? Its a lot cheaper than getting new clothes and you might be surprised how much of your stuff can be taken in :)
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

See if you can sell some of your clothing at a consignment store and get some money back for it. You could probably have some favorites altered, but some items might not be worth it.

Try checking thrift/consignment shops for clothes to hold you over until you reach your goal, you can find some pretty cute things if you dig. :) I tend to wear sports style bras while losing weight since they're cheaper than buying awesome bras I won't fit in soon.
  • fitgaltoo
    fitgaltoo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Christma is coming and ask for what you want! Also Goodwill has some great bargains.
  • fitgaltoo
    fitgaltoo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!
  • samanthasky
    samanthasky Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! A lot of you have suggested thrift shops and consignment stores and ebay and I will definitely check that out!
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! A lot of you have suggested thrift shops and consignment stores and ebay and I will definitely check that out!

You can also check out Ross, TJ's, & Marshalls for some nice clothing at discounted prices.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    OP, I couldn't help but laugh because I've been in your spot now too many times over the last 2 years! Most definitely try the Marshall's, TJ's, etc and if you're still planning on losing, but need to get through a rough spot, don't totally discount Target and Walmart...I keep getting my workout clothes off their clearance racks. I've spent way too much money thinking I wasn't going to lose any more weight and wish I had been just a little bit thriftier and confident in my ability to take it further. The selling your old clothes on ebay, craigslist and FB yard sales is a great idea, but gets difficult b/c there's so much out there. The consignment shop is a great idea if you have one nearby and they will take all for a reasonable price to you, just to ease some of your pain in getting rid of it.

BUT, I digress...Congrats!!!!!!! 40lbs is AWESOME!!
  • PradaGx
    PradaGx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Same problem I have also..going from 2-3XL to a size large was troublesome. I donated 90% of my clothes and am going to sale what I can to Plato's Closet cause they buy some of the brand named clothes. That's why for this Christmas all I am asking for is clothes lol.
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    TL;DR I just bought new bras and the rest will just have to wait!!

I haven't lost quite as much as you but I'm definitely in the same boat. the size 12 shorts i bought at the beginning of summer/my weight loss now are so big that I dont have to unbutton them to pull them off. So i'm now on the smallest setting with my belts, and they look ridiculous because theyre all cinched up and pleating. Shirts are baggy but most are manageable. Dresses are still fine they just hang looser.

But this weekend I had enough with the bras. Every time I laid on my side my boobs feel out! It was getting so annoying that I broke down and went to Victoria's Secret. I know you pay more for the brand, but seeing as I had NO idea what size I had become, it was worth it. (Even though I tried measuring myself, I wasn't sure I was doing it right.) Turns out I went from a 38B to a 34D...BIG difference! Let me tell you, making that change makes me not even care that the rest of my clothes don't fit! I just bought 2 multiway bras so I can hope to wear them under anything I need to, and with a coupon I had, it came to $75. Soooo it will be a while before I buy regular clothes anyway. When I do, I plan to go to Goodwill.

Regarding the bra sizes, I heard about this website yesterday on a technology podcast (go figure)

http://www.sizemapp.com/en/

They give you a tutorial on how to measure yourself to figure out exactly what bra size you are, and I think gives the sizes in US, UK and EU sizing. I think the service is free (although they also sell bras on behalf of a number of manufacturers)

So, you could use that then go to a cheaper store to find bras in your size, rather than having to go to a more expensive store that does fittings.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Maybe check out Plato's Closet or get a few things on Ebay? I have found some cute brand name gently pre-owned tops there for $4, and pants/jeans for under $10. I kept quite a few of my cute skinny clothes just in case. Even at every stage of my "growth". The range is size 6, all the way to size 17 juniors. Gawd, I have to lose weight just to save money! lol Just playin. But yeah. One poster here had an idea for this site to set up a swap section. People here could literally trade wardrobes. Genius!! Oh I forgot about Ross and Marshalls.
  • jlblovely
    jlblovely Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of thousands of women wishing they could complain about not fitting in their clothes because they are too big.!!! Just let that truly sink in..and baggy is better than too tight! Buy one thing at a time. Get the basics. One skin colored bra to start.. It should go with everything since your doing basics! keep all the big clothes for at home. Don't waste your money til you get to your goal! We have Marshalls in my area for better prices than department stores for work and dress clothes. Get some staples. One pair of blue jeans, one pair of black slacks, a few nice tops and an economy pack of undies. (chances are if you live with someone they are happy that you have chosen to be healthier and a few months of odd fitting clothes won't faze them) Walmart has danskin work out clothes for 4-12 bucks and they wash well. (I wear work out clothes everywhere!) Save up the money for the final product! I lost 35 lbs last winter and I haven't come close to what I need...The good thing I did was not throwing away old clothes when I gained weight!! I still have jeans from 15 years ago...and they are still reasonably in style. Keep up the good work! We all look good healthy!
  • funsmile1234
    funsmile1234 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I found myself with the same problem today. Investing in belts, ties and safety pins until you can afford more clothes might work.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    Yep I hear ya. I've lost count of what I've spent on new wardrobes full of clothes that only last weeks before I hand them on. I've become amazing at bargain hunting. My current outfit is a denim zip front pencil skirt ($10), 2 $5 singlets layered one over the other, a $5 pair of tights, a $10 shoulder shrug and new bra and pants because you can't compromise with those. (so saying, the bra was $12 in the sales and the pants were $5). You gotta pick up stuff while it's cheap. I tend to buy stuff that's alittle on the tigher side, then it lasts longer.

I went from a 16/18 (American 12/16) to a 10/12 (American 6/8) - and I'm 174 cm tall - so literally nothing I worse last year fits now. It's good but OH SO EXPENSIVE
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    One thing that has worked pretty well for me is wearing my too-big dresses with a in-my-new-size cardigan, and belting under the cardigan when appropriate. It is allowing me to give those dresses one last hurrah, at least.

Another thing I've noticed about having fewer clothes due to weight loss, is that I actually WEAR all of my clothes! I don't know about the rest of you, but I used to own so many clothing items that I barely even wore. I had 100+ shirts, 50 sweaters, 30 pairs of jeans, 20 pairs of pants, etc. Now that I own a fraction of that amount, I wear my stuff a lot more and I find that even though the clothes are going to be temporary I put a lot more thought into my wardrobe. Even in a thrift store setting, if I like a shirt and it fits I'll think about 2-3 outfits I could wear it with. I kind of like this, and I hope I'll be able to keep up the same attitude when I reach a steady weight at goal or closer to it.
  • Just_Maddy
    Just_Maddy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    :tongue: Woah! You guys are soooo lucky! I can't wait to have this issue xD Big hugs to all of you who are making amazing progress.

52580689.png
  • bluemaine1212
    bluemaine1212 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I recently had the same problem with my work clothes - Goodwill has become my new best friend especially on Sundays when they change the tag colors. I have found practically brand new Talbot's pants for $1 a pair, Calvin Klein jeans for $1 and a bunch of other things. One outfit I wore to work this week cost me $3, and I got compliments on it! I also shop at dept stores like Dillards and Macy's but only the deep discount racks (60-75% off).
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    One thing that has worked pretty well for me is wearing my too-big dresses with a in-my-new-size cardigan, and belting under the cardigan when appropriate. It is allowing me to give those dresses one last hurrah, at least.

Another thing I've noticed about having fewer clothes due to weight loss, is that I actually WEAR all of my clothes! I don't know about the rest of you, but I used to own so many clothing items that I barely even wore. I had 100+ shirts, 50 sweaters, 30 pairs of jeans, 20 pairs of pants, etc. Now that I own a fraction of that amount, I wear my stuff a lot more and I find that even though the clothes are going to be temporary I put a lot more thought into my wardrobe. Even in a thrift store setting, if I like a shirt and it fits I'll think about 2-3 outfits I could wear it with. I kind of like this, and I hope I'll be able to keep up the same attitude when I reach a steady weight at goal or closer to it.

I don't know about you, but I get so overwhelmed now shopping at times since there's so much more of a selection for clothing & sizes. When you're plus size there's sometimes not much of a selection unless you want to risk shopping online.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!