What kind of recovery time am I looking at?

Options
About 3-4 weeks ago, I was told I had diabetes for the first time. I contacted a dietician who said I should eat 60 carbs at Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner and 20 carbs for 3 snacks. I followed that for 3-4 weeks and didn't make note of calorie intake. Then I became very weak and had no energy, feeling like I could die at times. When I added my calories up, (which I love about this web site) I realized I was only taking in about 1200 to 1400 calories per day. I looked up that for a 6'2" 230 lbs and over 60 yrs old man and realized I should really be getting about 2000 calories per day. And I went then to an Endocrinologist who upped the amount of food I could have to about that amount. Since being on a Diabetes diet, it seems like all I do is eat all day to try to. And I barely make the projected 2k calorie goal. When I don't get enough, it seems my thighs burn. Sometimes they do anyway. So the question is, I've been at about 2000 calories for 3 days now and I still seem to have an energy level that is very, very low. How long might I expect a return to somewhat near the energy level I had. I'm new to these web site, just hope it's an appropriate type issue.

Replies

• tennisvon
    Options
    PS. I lost 17 pounds in that short time, and want to stop for now.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It is an appropriate question, unfortunately I don't know the answer. I have found that when I under-eat, I feel better almost immediately when I fix the problem, but I am not diabetic. Strongly suggest you follow up with both your endocrinologist and a nutritionist. It might be a combo of reduced calories and changes in your macros. I wish you well!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It is an appropriate question, unfortunately I don't know the answer. I have found that when I under-eat, I feel better almost immediately when I fix the problem, but I am not diabetic. Strongly suggest you follow up with both your endocrinologist and a nutritionist. It might be a combo of reduced calories and changes in your macros. I wish you well!

Do what this person said, your sugars may be off (either high or low), this could be the cause of your lethargy. Do you have a glucometer, do you test at home? Your dietician may need to tweak your carbohydrates a bit more, especially if you are active (from your username, I gather you play tennis ...)
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do you check your blood sugar regularly? Are you taking medication? If you are eating 60 grams of carbs at each meal, plus meat and veggies several times a day, you could reach 2,000 calories. Self-management is huge with diabetes, so I would recommend you seek out more information. Go to the library and check out a couple of books about diabetes and get some cookbooks. Are you keeping track of your food intake, counting carbs, cutting back on sugar, drinks with sugar, etc?. Your low energy levels could be due to hypoglycemia. You should speak with your physician, you may need to adjust your medication dosage.
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you checking your blood sugar when you're feeling that terrible?
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Would like to have a look at your diabetic diet
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I come from a family of diabetics, although I do not have it myself. Everything you say sounds typical of a new diabetic. Give it two weeks and see how you feel. I'm being conservative, it may be sooner.

When trying to hit your calorie goals, do the opposite of what you do when you try to lose weight - check your log for low carb things that are HIGH calories and make sure you eat them. Fat, frankly, is your friend. Use butter. Add sour cream. Eat cheese. My dad added cheese, cream, or oil to everything to get enough calories to keep his weight up without adding carbs.

Good luck. If you follow your doctor's advice carefully, this will become very manageable. But it really is critically important for your health long term that you DO follow a doctor's advice and keep things in control.
  • tennisvon
    Options
    Thanks for your response, not sure what "macros" are?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response, not sure what "macros" are?

Your Macro's are your Protein, Carbs, and Fats You should have set this up with your dietician.... When I was first diagnosed mine set my intake at 2500 calories and wanted me getting 60-70 grams of carbs at my main meals and 20-25 grams at my snacks.... my macro split (the percentage of my calories come from) in the beginning was set to 40% Carbs/ 30% Proteins/ 30% Fats that break down put me around 250 grams of carbs a day/ 190 grams of Protein a day, and 80 grams of fat a day.... From there we adjust these upwards based on my activity level which as the weight came off steadily went up. You have to find that balance that boost your energy levels and also keeps your sugar regulated... Best of luck
  • tennisvon
    Options
    Do you check your blood sugar regularly? Are you taking medication? If you are eating 60 grams of carbs at each meal, plus meat and veggies several times a day, you could reach 2,000 calories. Self-management is huge with diabetes, so I would recommend you seek out more information. Go to the library and check out a couple of books about diabetes and get some cookbooks. Are you keeping track of your food intake, counting carbs, cutting back on sugar, drinks with sugar, etc?. Your low energy levels could be due to hypoglycemia. You should speak with your physician, you may need to adjust your medication dosage.

I have in fact been tracking my glucose numbers and everything on the MFP website. Only recently did I read that glucose levels are highest about an hour-an hour and a half after a meal. Now my glucose numbers haven't gotten over 200 after meals, but I feel the worst every day- an hour and a half after lunch, day after day. I also don't take metformin during that time per my doc's orders. I do need to talk to her some more. And I've been reading a lot, and learning from this web sit since diagnosed a month ago. Thank you for your help.
  • tennisvon
    Options
    I come from a family of diabetics, although I do not have it myself. Everything you say sounds typical of a new diabetic. Give it two weeks and see how you feel. I'm being conservative, it may be sooner.

When trying to hit your calorie goals, do the opposite of what you do when you try to lose weight - check your log for low carb things that are HIGH calories and make sure you eat them. Fat, frankly, is your friend. Use butter. Add sour cream. Eat cheese. My dad added cheese, cream, or oil to everything to get enough calories to keep his weight up without adding carbs.

Good luck. If you follow your doctor's advice carefully, this will become very manageable. But it really is critically important for your health long term that you DO follow a doctor's advice and keep things in control.

Very useful info, seems almost counter intuitive but makes perfect sense for someone who lost weight, so fast.
  • tennisvon
    Options
    You have no idea how helpful these comments are. I've never used this kind of forum in my life despite my somewhat advanced age, and it has taken a huge load off my wife who has had to try to help and answer questions she doesn't know about and to turn elsewhere helps me too! Thanks.
  • cmstirp
    Options
    2 hours after you eat your first bite of a meal is when your blood sugar is the highest (similar to what you said about 1.5 hour after your meal). As long as it's under 180 you're in a good range.

Also the 45-60g carbs per meal and 15-30g per snack are starting points for someone new to diabetes. You can alter your carb intake (with the help of a dietitian or physician) if you find your blood sugar regularly going too high or low.

Kudos to you for reaching out to find info on your own! I work in a hospital and I can't tell you how many non-compliant diabetics I see who have no idea how to manage their disease. If you're looking for more info, you could check with your local hospitals and see if any of them offer diabetes management courses. I believe the classes are usually covered by insurance, but don't quote me on that :).
  • tennisvon
    Options
    2 hours after you eat your first bite of a meal is when your blood sugar is the highest (similar to what you said about 1.5 hour after your meal). As long as it's under 180 you're in a good range.

Also the 45-60g carbs per meal and 15-30g per snack are starting points for someone new to diabetes. You can alter your carb intake (with the help of a dietitian or physician) if you find your blood sugar regularly going too high or low.

Kudos to you for reaching out to find info on your own! I work in a hospital and I can't tell you how many non-compliant diabetics I see who have no idea how to manage their disease. If you're looking for more info, you could check with your local hospitals and see if any of them offer diabetes management courses. I believe the classes are usually covered by insurance, but don't quote me on that :).
  • tennisvon
    Options

Just wanted to thank you belatedly for the thoughtful and useful reply. With all the research I've done in the last month, and the dire consequences for those who don't take care of themselves, it's amazing people don't take diabetes seriously. My high blood pressure history also makes me a bad candidate for future outcomes statistically. I didn't have it when I was younger and thinner. Being a nurse, what do you think are the chances if I continue to lose weight, that I will beat the high blood pressure part of this equation. I've already found out that weight loss gives me a chance to get my glucose under control, but that it never goes away. None-the-less, I will try. I am not maintaining my weight as is the topic, I have lost 22 pounds in 5 weeks, but slowed the rate down after the first 15 pounds. It's been 7 pounds in 3 weeks. Guess I need to get out of this topic venue unless it's still too fast. Is it, if I want to go down, I weigh 223 now?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Blood pressure is part genetic and part risk factors, as you know. When my husband went below a critical weight his blood pressure fell dramatically. Obviously lower weight also lowers the dosage of blood pressure medications - and their side effects are lousy, so this is a good thing. Like you, I was motivated to lose weight because I didn't want to get diabetes. I'm the only non-obese person in my family (I just nudged into overweight when I started this) and I'm also the only one without diabetes. I was moving towards pre-diabetic when I lost weight. My sugar is absolutely fine now.

Good luck. This will be so good for you.
  • cmstirp
    Options
    Losing weight might help with the high BP, as long as it's done at a safe rate - about 0.5-1lb per week. Also getting exercise helps, at the very minimum 10 mins per day of consistent activity. And keeping your sodium intake to below 1500mg/day. (1500 is ideal, if you usually have a high sodium diet, starting out under 2400mg would be good too).

And I know! (About people not taking diabetes seriously) I think it's because it's a slowly progressing disease that people don't see complications from until after years of mis-management.