Peanut butter and diabetes ??

Options
Does anyone know why my endocrinologist told me to quit eating peanut butter in relation to my diabetes? She never gave me a reason, just said that is one of the items I have to quit eating.

Replies

• pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I used to use it to get my numbers back up when I was getting close to crashing. High in sugar, sodium and calories so I'm guessing those are your three reasons.
  • cdmath
    Options
    Read the labels, most peanut butter has a ton of sugar, but there are "all natural" brands that do not add any sugar. Those might be okay. Nuts are supposed to be good for diabetics.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Wife of a type 1 diabetic...

It is likely he wants you to avoid the levels of 'bad' fats which are higher in peanuts than any other nut. Diabetes is a gateway to heart conditions, which are also sensitive to sodium levels. You may need sodium temporarily if you have blood pressure issues due to your lows (not everyone does) so this is an individual try and see type of thing.

I don't know what kind of 'lows' you're getting, if they're mild a few nuts may cover it but that much sugar wouldn't even register for my man. However, as a meal option the fiber is nice for long term carbs.

You may want to try an all natural no sodium added brand, and at that an all natural almond butter (which after a while makes peanut butter taste so SO bland.)

Or how about some good old fashioned nuts.

Also if your diabetes is type 2 and possibly weight related (or type 1.5 meaning you're type 1 AND type 2...NOT somewhere in between the two it is NOT a progression) your doc is likely trying to have you lose some weight b/c peanut butter is seriously high in calories.

My husband was type 1.5 taking 66 units of lanuts a day. He's now type 1 taking about 14 units of lantus / day because his insulin resistance has been reduced to borderline. However, he will always be type 1 as all of the beta cells in his pancreas which tell the body how to make insulin are gone.

Short story: for low sugars hit the OJ. If you want peanut butter occasionally try some alternatives, but if losing weight is your goal you will see your calorie bank depleted seriously fast with it. You may find that the peanut butter just isn't worth giving up what else you could have for 85-100 calories a tablespoon.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make any sense. You shouldn't have to blanket eliminate any foods due to diabetes. Watching your carbs, sodium, and calories, sure, depending on your other health issues and goals, but I don't see any logical reason to single out peanut butter. I mean, the stuff with hydrogenated oils and syrup is pretty crappy, but the natural stuff is great!

My biggest advice to any other diabetic is to hit the books and the internet so you can evaluate the info your doctor is giving you. They aren't always right. I have low blood pressure, and my doc tried to put me on blood pressure meds just because that is the "standard of care" for diabetics.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I've been type 2 for 5 years, I've never heard this, other than just in moderation because of the calories and fat.

Have you tried PB2? It's powdered peanut butter. Low in fat and carbs. Mix with a little water to make a paste for sammichs
    http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP, I would put a call in to your doc's office and ask for clarification. Only they can tell you for sure the reason they told you not to eat it.

Just curious... Where are you folks seeing that PB is high in sugar? I just checked the nutrition labels online for Jif and Teddie natural and at most there is 3 grams per a 2 Tbsp serving. That doesn't seem like a lot to me.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    OP, I would put a call in to your doc's office and ask for clarification. Only they can tell you for sure the reason they told you not to eat it.

Just curious... Where are you folks seeing that PB is high in sugar? I just checked the nutrition labels online for Jif and Teddie natural and at most there is 3 grams per a 2 Tbsp serving. That doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Brands like Skippy and Jif have added sugar, not sure how much. I mostly eat Laura Scudder's, which has 7 grams of carbs and only 1 gram of sugar. I love that stuff so much....
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Good grief, even processed commercial brands of peanut butter are not "loaded with sugar". What labels are some of you guys reading? Most 2 tbsp servings come with only about 6-8 carbohydrates, with 2 or 3 grams of that being fiber, which doesn't count, and only 2-3 grams of sugar. It actually use to be one of my main snacks on a LOW CARB eating plan.

Peanut Butter only poses a problem for those, many I admit, who have trouble overindulging. For me I have no problem limiting peanut butter, but there are a lot of people who have trouble controlling themselves when they do allow it.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    This is a really interesting discussion. Talking with your doctor about why she recommends avoiding peanut butter will help you learn even more about her goals for you, and how to apply those goals. Perhaps also ask her for a referral to a diabetes educator who can help you individualize your food choices to meet your needs. ~Lynn @Glucerna
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have not cut out any foods entirely. Although I rarely drink orange juice anymore because it is so sugary. I don't have any issues eating peanut butter though. Neither my nurse practitioner nor the nutritionist I saw condemned any food as "off limits". I occasionally have a peanut butter sandwich and put a couple tablespoons in my protein shakes. But the key to it is making sure you are measuring out your serving size. It is easy to just stick a knife in the jar and glob it on your bread. Pretty soon you've eaten 4 or 5 tablespoons of the stuff instead of 2. I got a food scale and weigh and measure everything like this. Its totally eye opening as to what a serving size is. The only thing I keep in mind with a meal is not to go over 60 grams of carbs. My nutritionist really worked with me on the carbs per meal thing. I was really lazy about this and my HgA1C was at 9. I really worked on my carb portions and got it down to 6.1 at my last check up last month.
  • trishakatt
    trishakatt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Congratulations on making changes that led to reducing your A1c. You're right that measuring out portion sizes is key, especially since so many of our plates, bowls and glasses are bigger now than they used to be. ~Lynn/Glucerna
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    Can you request to substitute it with almond butter? Maybe that one will be acceptable?
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I use Adams 100 percent natural peanut butter. There is only 0.5 g of sugar per tablespoon.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) here that has worked with my Endo and Dietician through 312 lbs. of weight loss and another year of maintenance. I use Jiff All Natural Peanut butter (3 grams of sugar in 2 Tbsp.) and literally eat it every single day for the past 4 years and it has absolutely not effected my diabetes in the least... My A1c when I started was 10.0 and have been averaging 5.3 the last 3 years.... Peanut butter in my opinion is a great source of protein and good fats and will be a staple of my meal plan indefinitely..... Best of Luck
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter shouldn't be a problem (Skippy and Jiff have hydrogenated oils ... Trans fats ... bot good) ...

Nuts are great for stabilizing blood sugar (Peanuts, aren't technically nuts, they are legumes ... Just sayin' ... However, the do possess a very similar fat/carb/protein ratio to tree nuts)

PEANUTS ARE NOT AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF PROTEIN! STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH! Defatted peanut flour (i.e. PB2) contains a decent amount of protein, not stellar, but decent ... Peanut butter is an excellent source of fat, nothing wrong with that, but it just needs to be made clear ... excellent sources of protein include:

Eggs (whites, though, the yolk is where most of the nutrients are)
    Lean meats/Poultry
    Shellfish
    Fish
    Greek (strained) Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Whey powder
    Tofu
    Seitan

Mostly all food contains some protein, but calorie for calorie, the aforementioned are the most concentrated sources ...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter shouldn't be a problem (Skippy and Jiff have hydrogenated oils ... Trans fats ... bot good) ...

Nuts are great for stabilizing blood sugar (Peanuts, aren't technically nuts, they are legumes ... Just sayin' ... However, the do possess a very similar fat/carb/protein ratio to tree nuts)

PEANUTS ARE NOT AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF PROTEIN! STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH! Defatted peanut flour (i.e. PB2) contains a decent amount of protein, not stellar, but decent ... Peanut butter is an excellent source of fat, nothing wrong with that, but it just needs to be made clear ... excellent sources of protein include:

Eggs (whites, though, the yolk is where most of the nutrients are)
    Lean meats/Poultry
    Shellfish
    Fish
    Greek (strained) Yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Whey powder
    Tofu
    Seitan

Mostly all food contains some protein, but calorie for calorie, the aforementioned are the most concentrated sources ...

The All Natural Jiff I use doesn't have any trans fats and doesn't contain any hydrogenated oils it is made with 5 Ingredients:Peanuts, Sugar, Palm Oil, Salt, Molasses. Never said it was a EXCELLENT Source or only source just said it was a Great source (7 grams per Tbsp at 95 calories) I eat 250 grams of protein a day and use extra large eggs that contain 7 grams of protein per egg at 80 calories per so I don't consider eggs a more dense source of protein just another option same as peanut butter... I make up darn near 170 grams of protein daily from boneless chicken breast. This is getting off topic anyway the OP was trying to figure out why she is being told to avoid peanut butter and OP I would seriously consult your doctor again, I can not see a reason in my mind why it can't be part of your diet plan in portion controlled servings.... Best of Luck
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    What an inspiring story EdDavenport and thanks for sharing how you've been able to individualize your program and meet your goals. ~ Lynn/Glucerna
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Sugar in pb !!? what are people talking about ! There is no good reason for her to tell you that. Peanut butter is very good if you are trying to lose wt. I've lost 57 pds and eat about 3 Tablespoons a day. Natural peanut butter like Adams or Laura Scudder.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Here's a ABC News story about dieting and peanut butter - http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=126647