I miss my butt and I cannot lie (yes you sang that! haha)

Options
So, after losing 45 pounds I do miss one thing....my booty! Although it wasn't big to begin with, now I am left with a flat pancake on my rear. I have been doing squats, lunges, kickbacks, and donkey kicks...but I am just curious in how many sets or other exercises people do to maintain their gluteus Maximus in shape!

I am open to whatever people have! I currently starting doing more but exercises about a week and a half ago...I know you can't "poof" a booty, but I just hope I am on the right track!

Replies

• chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    1st off- BUSTED, I totally sang that!!

2nd-Yes you are on the right track. Squats are hands down the best thing you can do for your butt! Also hip raises and leg raises. Beachbody has a program called Brazil Butt Lift that completely caters to toning the butt. Let me know if you're interested! Good luck!!
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've found that squats, weighted walking lunges, and deadlifts have helped my butt firm up. I also take a kickboxing class which is really fun but I've been getting seriously amazing results with it too.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I agree with squats, and use weights for them (regular, Sumo, Bulgarian split squat). Also deadlifts (Romanian, one legged, etc), weighted lunges (walking, stationary, etc), hip thrusts/glute bridges with weight plate or barbell on your lap. Etc. :smile:
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Use big weight. Use bodybuilder weights, because you are trying to grow muscle :) And eat enough to do it (maintenance plus a tad on days you lift should be fine). I do 8-12 reps to aim for muscle growth (and folks have different views on the perfect number of reps, so pick the best estimate you feel is right).

What I do, just because you sound like you want to know individual plans :) It's not a typical one, but this is my glutes work, anyway. 3 days a week (during 2 Leg days and one Low Back day), all weighted to 8-12 reps:

Glute Bridges (can't find enough weight, so I actually do 15 slow, held reps with what I have)
    Clamshells
    Locust position straight-leg lifts
    Locust position knee-bent lifts
    Arabesques (high, high leg!)
    Back attitudes (high!) rotating with developpes in attitude position
    Grande battements to the back

No weight: Full Locust (on Low Back Day). Work up to it. Don't go all crazy, now!
    No weight: Full Standing Layback/backbend and up on Low Back Days - you use your glutes to hold the weight. Also kneeling ones (head to floor), same effect for the glutes.

For the backbend ones, it's hard to think of a substitute for a non-dancer/yogi. It puts a lot of focus on glutes in a unique way, but the flexibility and low back strength required are a bit rough! Something to work up to for those who want that :)

Stretch after: Pigeon and Full (King) Pigeon, Happy Baby pose, Rabbit (for back), and Full Forward Folds for hammies
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Weighted Squats
    Romanian Deadlifts
    Glute Bridges/Hip Thrusts
    Glute Ham Raises (if you can do them)
    Lunges of any kind
    Step-Ups (with a focus on the posterior chain)

I know my opinion means less because I don't have first hand experience of being a woman with dat @ss, but these are the lifts I know that will probably help the most. And I think I have a nice butt for someone of my size. :P
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    All these exercise suggestions are well and good, but if you don't eat at a surplus you are not going to pack significant muscle onto your *kitten*.

Are you planning on doing a bulk?
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah, I skip several really great ones because of particular physical problems (knees, upper back [so holding a heavy barbell with arms at all]). I wouldn't leave them out if you can do them!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 (which includes barbell squats and deadlifts) while eating at a surplus changed my pancake butt into a squat butt.

note the bit about eating at a surplus, muscles don't grow in a deficit. They can get stronger and firm up in a deficit, but to make the actual muscles bigger you need a calorie surplus. For a nicely shaped butt you need to make the gluteals grow.