Really rapid weight loss and I don't know why?

Options
I've been eating healthy and exercising for two weeks now. I was 76kg and 168cm.
I'm now 70kg after just two weeks.
And most of the time I was well over my calorie allowance, I ate heaps of carbs, had Indian take away a couple of times, ice cream, etc. I didn't exercise each day, but about every second day and have been swimming about 5 times.
Should I be concerned about this?

Replies

• Ian_Stuart
    Ian_Stuart Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Is the swimming a new thing? It might be dehydration or just loss of water weight. Not to be personal, but your cycle can greatly effect your weight as well.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Were you weighing yourself regularly before, so that you know what your normal fluctuation is? (Even people who are maintaining will generally see fluctuations of four to five pounds (say 2 kg) throughout the course of a day.)
    Do you know how much you were eating before, so you have a baseline to compare?
    How many calories are you eating now? What activity level and per-week loss goal did you select when MFP set that goal?
    That is pretty rapid weight loss, especially for someone who is only a little overweight, but it does tend to come off pretty quickly for many people when they first start new eating habits and exercise habits. You say you eat over your calorie allowance and only exercise every other day (but if the swimming five days is in addition to the other workouts, that's a total of about 12 workouts over the two weeks), but without knowing what you're comparing that to, and how much of a calorie deficit you had MFP set, it's kind of hard to know whether to call this "unexplained weight loss." Also, do you realize that if you had MFP set your calorie allowance, you're supposed to log your exercise and "eat your exercise calories back," or at least part of them?
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    yeah that is well 13 pounds! ( sorry had to go do some math which might be off lol never been good at the metric system) That can't be normal you are not that overweight to begin with.
  • narwhalpr
    narwhalpr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Is the swimming a new thing? It might be dehydration or just loss of water weight. Not to be personal, but your cycle can greatly effect your weight as well.

I was just wondering about the TOM too... also about your sodium intake? Could be water weight. I have heard some women can hold up to 10 lbs of water weight... but on average between 3-5 lbs two to one week before TOM.