Do other people frustrate you at times?

Options
I have struggled with my body image issues forever.Sometimes people & their atitude towards fitness frustrates me.I have seen people trying to lose weight fast by simply dieting.I on the other hand have slogged to lose 23 kgs by lifting weights & clean eating.I am still far away from where I want to be.Sometimes I feel that I am fooling myself.People feel that lifting weights make girls look stupid...I get odd looks.To those who now lead a fit lifestyle but have struggled in the past,share your story.Is this a slow transition &/or a lonely journey.

Replies

• fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i find working out on your own in a gym can get lonely. I have a personal trainer at the mo and it has been fantastic to get that extra support, seems a little self indulgent but after worrying so much about what I'm doing on my own for so long, its nice to share the load with a professional.
    I don't think its fair or reasonable though to get frustrated with other people just because they are doing things a different way to you - each to their own.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I generally find that I don't care about what other people are doing.

The only person you can compare yourself to is... yourself.

Am I getting better?

Who cares what other people do (or don't do)?
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel that I am fooling myself.People feel that lifting weights make girls look stupid...I get odd looks.

You're looking at it wrong! They don't think you look stupid they are in awe because a girl is this strong! :happy:

Or that's how I interpret the looks :drinker:
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr Seuss

I always felt this was good advice, really.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I was finding it a lonely journey for a while too. I got into eating better and exercising in a big way and no-one I knew was into it that much and I even got told I was too obsessed for a while (I still do). However, I made some new friends on MFP in the past couple of weeks who are all the same as me and I am having a much easier time of it!
  • oncmed
    oncmed Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    people in my life have generally been very supportive even when i'm the oddball with the weight and overeating issues. i think it's because i have this really sensitive timid look or something. not sure if it's a good or bad thing.