medifast, anyone?

Options
my mom recently lost about 40 lbs on medifast. she's now 10 lbs lighter than me, horror of horrors!

anyone have any medifast stories? like... did you try it and pass out from lack of calories or anything? i think my mom was eating around 1000 cals a day... which is very low, especially considering we are on the tall side (5'8").

she's also now afraid to eat real food again, lol!

it's actually not absurdly expensive... a 4 week plan is about $300, which is 5 mini meals/day for 28 days is 140 meals, which works out to only a little over $2 a meal, or about $11 a day. Although I'm not sure what shipping is, probably a lot for that much stuff.

i'm halfheartedly considering it, but not without consulting my fellow mfp'ers!

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I had a coupon for half price on a sampler weeks worth of food, so I did it. The snack bars are ok, the oatmeal was not the best but ok. The soups, shakes and other meal items were horrible. Everything was so thick and gloppy with the added protein powder. I had terrible gas, bloating and heartburn. Most of the food had next to no taste. I could have been eatting the box and at least been chewing something. Maybe they have improved things since then. I threw out most of the stuff.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    lol, i think my mom had a coupon too. and i think she's been mostly eating bars. i guess if you're resorting a meal replacement system, you can't care about taste very much... and most people trying to lose weight very much DO care. it's a conundrum!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Most people gain the weight back quicker than how they lost it on Medifast. Counting calories and eating a balanced diet is the best route to take. But I'm sure you'll get Medifast anyway. Best of luck.
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    ha, there's no way i will. i'm allergic to a lot of things, and i certainly don't have the money to put in all at once. i'm just jealous that my mom is thinner than me for the first time in my life! i'm a pretty clean eater and consistent exerciser, and my current weight is my 'happy weight', as they say, the weight i don't have to kill myself to maintain. but let's be honest--i'd rather be 10 lbs thinner. or at least look it.
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    Must be nice for some people huh McJabber? Wish I had all the answers like others on here........LMAO. I see what you mean though sweetie, just let it roll off and then come 'home' to us on the USG thread. :wink:
  • vegwicked
    Options
    I had a friend lose about 30 lbs with Medifast at the same time I was losing the same amount of weight with Weight Watchers (at the time, I was 18 and she was close to 40 and we lost about the same amount consistently). She was eating about 1000 calories and I tried some of her medifast bars...I'd rather have real food. In the past 2 years she's gained it all back plus some.

I feel like the biggest problem with Medifast is that it didn't set her up with any of the good keep-it-off habits you develop when you just eat less/cleaner and exercise. Yes, she ate 5x/day, but she didn't have to plan ahead (you just grab 5 things on your way out the door for work), she only ate veggies with one meal, and she didn't have to go through the discovery process of finding foods and making over recipes that make lower-cal easy and yummy.