Every cup of coffee/tea, add 2 cups of water?

Options
Has anyone heard of this before? I drink 2 cups of tea usually (green + flavored) and 2-3 cups black coffee. The coffee is also a diuretic, so I know it makes you pee, but should I add in another 4-5 cups of water to my daily intake? I normally get around 14-16 cups on a normal day (of just water, not including the coffee/tea)

Thank you :)

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I made a separate category for drinks that weren't water, and am only counting water on the little glass cup thingie. It's up to you, I count coffee and tea as liquid, even if it makes me pee more.
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    Thank you for the response! I guess it just depends on the person, but trying to look leaner so thought maybe I wasn't drinking enough. :)
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Everytime I drink a cup of black coffee I drink around 3-4 glasses of water afterwards, just because it makes my mouth REALLY dry :sick: that's why i prefer tea lol
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I think you are probably fine on water. caffeine has to be consumed in a relatively large quantity for it to have a diuretic effect.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Yes, coffee & tea are not diuretic unless drunk in very large amounts.

Studies:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12187618

By the way, 14-16 cups of water is probably overkill, and some might say unhealthy. Could lead to hyponatraemia or other problems.
  • naturenurture
    naturenurture Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, the idea that there is a certain amount of water that everyone *must* drink is a myth. Drink according to your thirst, activity level, and environmental conditions. If your urine is pale yellow, you're good.
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    Thank you for your responses :) I will also use intuition but was just curious bc heard this from someone and it would mean I have to drink an extra 4-6 cups water (sometimes even more).
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I limit myself with coffee and other drinks like coke zero/pepsi max during the week and on the weekend have as much as I want (weigh in Saturdays).. by next weekend it's gone and I don't have to stress about. Just a suggestion, works for me.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The amount of liquid in tea and coffee far exceeds any possible diuretic effect from the caffeine - tea and coffee can count towards your liquid intake. However, someone above said there is no set amount people have to drink - this is correct! Drink what you feel thirsty for. If I drink 2 litres of water a day I bloat like a hippo and spend the whole day feeling like a washing machine and going to the bathroom every 20 minutes.