I wanna know this about MFP...do you?

Options
Good Morning!

Wondering if any of you could do me a favor. I want to know if MFP calorie burn adjusts due to person's weight but I don't want to change my weight just to test.

Please tell me what your current weight is and then using "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" tell me what your burn is for 30 min?

MY CURRENT WT: 160.4
MY 30 min BURN: 120 calories

THANKS!

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Yep, it sure does

Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog

MY CURRENT WT: 169
    MY 30 min BURN: 126 calories
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    mhmm! but the best way to get exercise burns is through a hrm

WT: 119
    Burn: 89
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    MY CURRENT WT: 175
    MY 30 min BURN: 131 calories
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting.

Weight: 136
    30 minute burn at 3 MPH: 102
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Weight 182
    Burn 136
  • 9thChakra
    9thChakra Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Everyone!

My curious mind has been satisfied.

Best to you,

9thChakra
  • jlp100
    jlp100 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's interesting question but to be accurate I use a HRM. Its an extra expense, but if you are in this for the long haul its the only way you're gonna get to have a realistic idea on the actual calories you burn.

Before using my HRM MFP seemed to usually drastically over estimate the cals burnt on my workouts. Now when I put in my data and put in the amount of time i've done and it guesses the cals burnt before I manually input them it undervalues them.

I do love this site though :bigsmile:
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    That's interesting question but to be accurate I use a HRM. Its an extra expense, but if you are in this for the long haul its the only way you're gonna get to have a realistic idea on the actual calories you burn.

Before using my HRM MFP seemed to usually drastically over estimate the cals burnt on my workouts. Now when I put in my data and put in the amount of time i've done and it guesses the cals burnt before I manually input them it undervalues them.

I do love this site though :bigsmile:

I have yet to invest in a HRM, though I plan to. I currently use an average of what mfp, webmd fit-o-meter, and what the machine says I burn at the gym. I also shave minutes off my total workout, to be on the safe side- for example, yesterday I did yard work, shoveling and spreading topsoil and mulch, raking leaves for about 2.5 hours, but I logged it as 1.5 hours, because the burn did seem awful high, and I wasn't continuously moving for that time frame. It seems to be working for me, as I have a lot of weight to lose, but as I get closer to goal weight, I know I'm going to have to be more accurate with both my calorie expenditure and my intake. (I measure but don't weigh my food)
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    MY CURRENT WT (according to MFP - may be +/- 3 on a scale thanks to water weight): 195
    MY 30 min BURN: 146 calories

This is good to know. I thought it was the same regardless. I would like to get a HRM but it's going to have to wait until I'm not as super-broke as I am now.