Best way to lose weight?

Options
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what's the best way to lose weight? Is it just watching what you eat or buying products from companies such as Herbalife, Weight Watchers etc?

I've been using Herbalfe so far but I've lost all motivation.... and I'd really like to lose 10 - 14 pounds before Christmas.

Danielle

Replies

• lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest 10-14lbs is hard to lose before Christmas not unless you're obese. I lost 13lbs in 2 months so maybe the most you can lose is 5-ish? I did it with MFP and Insanity :) goodluck though! :flowerforyou: you look great
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I've lost all my weight by eating at a deficit and meeting my macros. No foods are good or bad. If you only have 10-14 lbs to lose, then losing that much by Christmas really is too aggressive. The issue with losing too quickly is the loss of muscle. Basically, if you lose too fast, you end up looking the same, just smaller (body fat is more likely to stay the same and will not give you favorable mirror results). No one knows how much you weigh by just looking at you, so a better measure of success will be mirror and measuring tape.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Stay in a 500 calorie deficit every day, eventually you will have lost all the weight you need to. You should be able to lose 5 or 6 pounds by Christmas, which is pretty good.
  • padams2359
    padams2359 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The best way is to know your flavor palate and do it yourself. Know what you like and how to achieve it as healthy as possible. If you like stuffing, make it from the whole wheat toast before it goes bad, along with purée boneless, skinless chicken breast or shrimp. I make my own burgers using a trimmed beef roast and a little trimmed pork tenderloin to add moisture. I can get them to about 99% fat free. Herbs, not Herbal Life.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    really dont waste your money with herbalife or weight watchers cos as soon as you come off them you'll gain weight.
    just watch what you eat, count calories, eat remotely healthy
  • Nightwing1990
    Options
    The human body heals itself fairly nicely sometimes tbh. Most of the damage will be temporary.
  • Nightwing1990
    Options
    No BBZ. We are most certainly not.

Ps you are a grow man that just typed BBZ.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If we're sticking to the OP's question then the answer is:

Calorie deficit that one can sustain safely
    Eating in a way that you will continue for LIFE

No secrets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering what's the best way to lose weight? Is it just watching what you eat or buying products from companies such as Herbalife, Weight Watchers etc?

I've been using Herbalfe so far but I've lost all motivation.... and I'd really like to lose 10 - 14 pounds before Christmas.

Danielle

You lose weight by eating more calories than you burn. That's all that's needed.

I advise dumping the Herbalife. It's money out of your pocket that could be better spend on good food, and food is probably less expensive.

As for losing 10-14 pounds before Christmas--isn't that five weeks away? I advise no. Since you are trying to lose so little, losing that quickly is unhealthy. I would set your goals to lose .5 pounds a week, or 1 pound a week at the most. If you lose weight too fast chances are you will gain it back just as quickly when you go off your "diet."
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If we're sticking to the OP's question then the answer is:

Calorie deficit that one can sustain safely
    Eating in a way that you will continue for LIFE

No secrets.

This. All of this.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    OP, your profile says "losing weight the healthy way." Just keep doing that...eventually the weight will come off.
  • mikej1978
    mikej1978 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    10 pound in 5.5 weeks is very possible. That is less than 2 pounds a week. Of course it will depend on your weight. If you weigh like 120-130 and want to lose that much I would so no but if you are closer to 160+ you can do it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating more calories than you burn.

Ahhhh, I didn't mean this! I MEANT you lose weight by burning more calories than you eat. Darned dyslexia! :bigsmile:
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit. That's all. How you achieve it is up to you, you can be as disciplined or as apathetic as you wish with regard to nutrition, exercise and "eating clean" (whatever than means). Create a calorie deficit, and the laws of physics and biology will take it from there. Do everything else "right", but fail to create a calorie deficit, and all your efforts are for naught (if the goal is to lose weight rather than improve health or whatever).
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Products and gimmicks don't work in the long run. Self discipline and staying aware of what you are consuming are skills that will help you stay healthy for life.

1. Portion control: Measure every bite and swallow.
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink plenty of water.