has anyone kept atleast 30 lbs off long term?

Options
tell me your story

Replies

• Nightwing1990
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight by dieting. And then I didn't eat a lot so didn't get fat again.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    No one has. Not ever.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I've kept almost 90 off for two years. There really is no secret - I just don't go back to old bad habits, and I continue to track my intake, even maintenance.
  • fitbulky
    Options
    bump
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Lol. I lost most of the weight from consistently logging on mfp. Occasionally I stray and think, "I've got this" so I stop logging. Eventually the scale dips a little lower so I go back to logging on mfp. I have come to realize that for me, I need to keep logging my food here to maintain the weight loss.
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    About 30 has been off for 18 months but struggled to lose any more since, til 6 weeks ago I tried 5:2 and that seems to allow me to get below 180.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    80lbs gone for close to 4 yrs now. Hoping for another 20lbs so started tracking macros/cals since October using MFP. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu saved my life.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been past the 50lb mark for over a year. I gained about 10 back during the holidays last year and got back on track again and I'm down another 15+. The original 50 is long gone and will never be seen again, as will the last 15. And the next 15!
  • jenniferillene
    jenniferillene Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yup sure have! Check out my ticker..its been almost 2 years now!
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs doing Jenny Craig about 6 years ago and I've never regained that weight. I've also lost another 75 lbs since then, mostly in the last 2-3 years.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    yes! but then I got pregnant... again.. lol
  • krs4747
    krs4747 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yup, kept 100 lbs off for 5 or 6 years. Still have 40 to go, but I'm happy being able to maintain where I have.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've kept 100 lbs off for 4 months...not long term but that's awesome still!

I just continue to eat whole foods and exercise 3 times a week.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Since April, 2010, I lost 65 lbs, slowly put back on 30 lbs, lost 35 lbs, put back on 10 lbs, and have since lost 5 lbs so I'm now 65 lbs under my initial peak weight. Yes, I'm a yo-yo. When I've made good progress, I seem to get cocky and take my eye off the ball. But I'm learning and less than 10 lbs from ultimate goal weight so this is not the end of the world. It's just annoying. But I look around me and of the people I know who succeeded in losing lots of weight, I think I've been lucky. Most have bounced back up worse than I have. I'm not sure if it's from the body being more susceptible to weight gain once you've been obese or if it's the mind falling into old habits or a combination or something else. But the problem is real.
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Lol. I lost most of the weight from consistently logging on mfp. Occasionally I stray and think, "I've got this" so I stop logging. Eventually the scale dips a little lower so I go back to logging on mfp. I have come to realize that for me, I need to keep logging my food here to maintain the weight loss.

Yes. When I've decided to try to "get a life" and not track every molecule into my mouth, I don't do well and start to gain again. Eventually, I want healthy eating and exercise to be such an engrained habit in me that I never have to count again. I'm apparently not close to that stage, yet.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    To me, maintenance requires a solid PLAN that gets tested and refined. My plan has several facets:

1) I understand and I've permanently changed the underlying actions that lead to my weight gain.
    2) I continue to log into MFP everyday. To support my friends and check-in, but also because surrounding myself with other people who value health and fitness helps me stay on track.
    3) I weigh myself regularly and decrease my calories slightly or increase my exercise anytime my weight exceeds a 3 pound range.
    4) I have a snug pair of jeans I try on monthly to see that they still fit.
    5) I update my ticker monthly with the number of months I've been at maintenance. Not only is it something I'm proud of, but it's an integral part of my maintenance plan. Most of us have a need to be perceived as reliable and true to our word. Social scientists call it "consistency bias". By making a public pronouncement on my ticker that I've maintained my weight for X months, I'm implicitly stating that I intend to stay in maintenance. And that public pronouncement statistically increases the likehood of my being successful. I love using social science research to my advantage!

Everyone's maintenance plan is different, of course. But having a plan is essential, I believe.
  • rachaelbermingham
    Options
    Four years ago I was 250lbs and over 2 years I lost 80lbs. I've managed to regain about 45lbs over the last 2 years but 35lbs has stayed off. I'm now trying to lose 60lbs and guess that if I managed to keep another 35lbs off I'd be quite pleased. I find that as soon as I take my eye off the ball I lose that control which I need to lose weight.