Grunting while lifting

Options
The great debate continues!

Personally, I think it's a normal thing. If your car ran out of gas and you had to push it to the nearest gas station, you'd probably be grunting a bit. The same applies when you're lifting heavy weights.

Replies

• Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If it's annoying then turn up your music on your headphones
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Grunting while lifting is bad for your vocal chords. Best to breath through and not put pressure on them.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    I agree that some grunting is in order when lifting heavy weights. But some people grunt with 20 pound dumbbells, and that's just odd and attention-seeking. Large, fit individuals too, not beginners.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I had a lifting buddy, sounded like a tea kettle hitting them 20s. key word, 'had'. anything under 225 doesn't need a grunt
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I had a lifting buddy, sounded like a tea kettle hitting them 20s. key word, 'had'. anything under 225 doesn't need a grunt

Of course. A 1RM attempt under that means they're just attention seeking.... :noway:

Broscience.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I like grunting ... it makes me feel RAWR!
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I grunt a lot. Considering that the minimum threshold that I'm usually lifting at is about 70 percent of my 1RM, I would say I have good reason

Generally towards the end of my workouts when I am somewhat fatigued, and still lifting heavy, for example after the incline, and flat barbell portion of my chest workout, I will usually go for 95lb incline DB press. Not only is the weight 20lbs heavier than I am, at the point I have already used up a great deal of my strength and stamina.

I usually start grunting on DL's around 315lbs, and when I go higher than that, I always grunt. After working all day doing labor, its no small feat to make it into the gym, but it has to be done.