Work Food

Options
Getting back into meal planning but having a harder time finding things I can take to work. :( I have access to a microwave but by the time I heat something up either the phone rings or a guest comes in and when I finally sit down long enough to eat it's cold again. Any ideas on what I can take besides a sandwich, cold soup, or a wrap?

Replies

• monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, yoghurts, cereal and milk, salads, all sorts of chopped veggies with hummous, nuts, fruits, hard boiled eggs
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    To add to cold foods, there are always salads. Have you considered buying a thermos of some sort to take hot foods in? Once it begins getting cold outside, cold lunches lose a lot of their appeal.
  • rmgatch
    Options
    Hi,
    I bought this thermos jar and use it for hot soups or pasta. I reheat the food before I go to work and amazingly this product keeps food hot for 5-6 hrs. Changed my eating habits at work a year ago. By preparing my own food I know what I'm eating. Now I don't have to wait for the microwave at work which is a bonus.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Stainless-King-16-Ounce-Midnight/dp/B0017IFSIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384619673&sr=8-1&keywords=Thermos+jar
  • Sapphire3002
    Sapphire3002 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Some days I have literally had to heat one cup of coffee three times so I feel your pain lol... To add to the list you have I find that salad and greek yogurt works well. You don't have to stick to basic salad if its not your thing you can try a wheat pasta salad with tomato, cucumber and fresh mozzarella tossed in balsamic etc. Maybe tuna wrapped in lettuce with an asian style sauce, quinoa salad or perhaps a nice bruschetta or a flatbread with veggies would be yummy. Hope this helps and that you find some quiet time at work :)
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like to make bowls I can eat at room temperature (or slightly cold, since I have an ice pack in my lunch bag). I usually use some kind of leftover protein (usually chicken, but I've also used flank steak), vegetables (either raw or cooked), and quinoa, brown rice, or whole wheat couscous. I add fresh lemon or lime juice or Italian dressing on top. I can do most of the prep for the week all at once, then I can change the dressing or add slightly different ingredients for some variety.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    OR try this: http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-SCCPLC200-R-20-Ounce-Lunch-Warmer/dp/B006H5V8US/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1384622812&sr=8-24&keywords=crockpot

I haven't tried it - but I would sure like to have one!

Other suggestions: meal bars/protein bars, finger foods (meat cubes, cheese cubes, veggies bites etc)

I have similar issues - I end up with things that are already listed here. OR sometimes if things are too hectic I just eat a quick bar with a drink and move one.

I also add protein powder to my coffee so my beverage becomes a meal some days. You could consider protein powder shakes as well.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Here's some ideas :flowerforyou: http://www.justbento.com/recipes hop it helps:happy:
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are pretty good the next day at room temperature, I really don't care for most meat reheated so I usually pop it in the microwave just to remove the chill and eat it basically at room temperature as well.
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hummus with bell pepper spears, cucumber, tomato, carrots, and some pita bread or chips.

Since you have a fridge, grilled chicken strips too. Even good cold!

Rice and beans with corn and salsa. great at room temp.