strength training session

Starting with a personal trainer this week and will have 2-3 sessions with her each week for about 10 - 12 weeks.

Questions:

1) Is this enough to see results over the course of the 10 week program?

2) Should I add sessions on my own as well?

3) How much cardio should I include? currently running 4 mi 3x each week. Intend to transition to indoor treadmill for the winter months, then resume outdoor running as weather permits.
- Starting Hal Higdon 10k training program December 1, 2013 Starting HH half marathon training February 1, 2014.

GOALS:
- additional 15 lb loss and decrease body fat %
- strengthen / tone
- 1/2 marathon in June 2014

Would appreciate opinions. Thanks

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    I have been a fitness trainer for almost 14 years. If you are seeing your trainer 2-3 times a week and doing cardio on your off days, that sounds like a good plan. Nobody wants to hear this, but about 80% of your success in weight loss depends on your nutrition. Since you are using MFP you probably know this. The only other thing I would suggest is: don't obsess about the number on the scale. You may "shrink" faster than your weight might suggest. Good luck and have fun!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Have you already had a consult with your trainer? Honestly, the things you are asking really should be part of your discussion with him/her.....it should be part of your overall program.

Also agree completely with cantfail :smile:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    You may not "see" the results but you will feel them. You also will make progress by adding weight to your lifts with every session. (Or the equivalent if you're not using weights.)
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    Thanks everyone!
  • janglo
    janglo Posts: 32 Member
    I read, process, evaluate and digest (!) all the relative comments on this site and I appreciate other opinions rather than relying on one individual recommendation. So, again, thanks for your input!