Slow Cooker/Crockpot Recipes

Options
I just got a slow cooker! I need some healthy recipes. HELP!!!

Replies

• markgriffiths507
    markgriffiths507 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

Serves: 8
    1.8kg beef stewing steak
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 sachet dried French onion soup mix
    240ml water
    3 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 stalk celery, chopped

1.Take the beef and season with salt and pepper to taste. Brown on all sides in a large frying pan over high heat.
    2.Place in the slow cooker and add the soup mix, water, carrots, onion, potatoes and celery.
    3.Cover and cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
  • LoveAngie
    LoveAngie Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This vegetarian black bean chili is delicious! It's one of our favorites. Even non vegetarians love it. You could add meat if you really wanted to but it's so delicious I don't even think you will miss it and since it's just healthy veggies it's only about 100 calories/cup (without olive oil).

http://www.marthastewart.com/341736/vegetarian-black-bean-chili

The original recipe isn't for a slow cooker but I make it in a slow cooker all the time. Just put all ingredients in and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 7-8 hours. Since you are using a slow cooker you can leave out the olive oil for less calories. Also, I use half a bag of baby carrots in place of whatever regular size carrots it calls for, just to save time.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Www.skinnyms.com has lots of low calorie slow cooker recipes, including a super food soup that is 157 calories per cup. I am actually in the process of choosing a slow cooker recipe to prepare today for this week's meals!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker 15 Bean Soup

Ingredients
    1-lb bag 15 bean blend (use only the beans; discard seasoning packet), picked over and rinsed
    1 medium onion, minced
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    4-6 carrots, sliced into round (approx. 2 cups)
    2-3 stalks celery, chopped (approx. 1 cup)
    8 oz. ham steak, cut into 1/2" pieces (approx. 2 cups); omit for vegan/vegetarian version
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (may reduce or omit for less heat)
    1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (may reduce to 1/8 cup or omit if lower sodium soup is desired)
    6 cups low sodium chicken broth (use vegetable broth for vegan/vegetarian version)
    2 (14.5 oz) cans no salt diced tomatoes (fire roasted recommended, if available)
    4 leaves (7-8 oz) Swiss chard or kale, stems removed, cut in 1/2" wide pieces
    salt to taste

Directions
    Coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray or olive oil. Add beans, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, ham, black pepper, red pepper flakes, thyme, bay leave, soy sauce, chicken broth, and 1 can diced tomatoes. Cover, and placed filled slow cooker insert in refrigerator overnight (8-12 hours).* Remove from refrigerator, return to slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 hours. Stir in Swiss chard and remaining can of diced tomatoes, cover and cook 20-30 minutes more, until Swiss chard is cooked. Salt to taste, if needed.
    *If you prefer, you can soak the beans in water overnight, rinse and drain them, and add them with the other ingredients to the slow cooker the next day.

Nutritional Information for 1 cup of soup:
    --With ham and chicken broth. 175 calories, 2g fat, 381mg sodium, 27.4g carbs, 6.8g fiber, 3.8g sugars, 11.8g protein. Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4.
    --Without ham and using vegetable broth. 160 calories, 2g fat, 331mg sodium, 30.3g carbs, 7.6g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 8.9g protein. Weight Watchers PointsPlus: 4.

See the recipe online at www.TheYummyLife.com/recipes/296
  • lmr9
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 big chicken breasts
    chopped yellow onion (1/2 cup or whatever you like)
    2 cans diced tomato (I use the ones with green onions in them)
    1 can black beans
    fresh garlic (2 cloves)
    fresh chopped cilantro (2 tbsp)
    tsp of cumin, chili powder, onion powder
    dash salt & pepper
    2 cups of chicken broth and a cup of water

Put it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours or so. When you are close to eating, take the chicken out and shred it (it should shred quite easily) and put back in the pot for a little bit.

Take a large La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortilla, cut into triangles or strips, spray with cooking spray and salt lightly and heat up in the oven 400 degrees for about 5-8 minutes until crispy. Put on top of soup after pouring in bowl, also can add fat free shredded cheese and/or Greek yogurt for creaminess.
  • lmr9
    Options
    Pulled Pork

Spice Rub:
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 tablespoons ground cumin
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    4 tablespoons paprika
    2 tablespoons table salt
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon ground white pepper
    1 (6-8 pound) bone-in pork shoulder
    ½ teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
    2 cups barbecue sauce

1. Mix all spice rub ingredients in small bowl.
    2. Massage spice rub into meat. Wrap tightly in double layer of plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (For stronger flavor, the roast can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
    3. Unwrap roast and place it in slow cooker liner. Add liquid smoke, if using, and ¼ cup water. Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 8-10 hours, until meat is fork-tender.
    4. Transfer roast to cutting board; discard liquid in liner. “Pull” by tearing meat into thin shreds with two forks or your fingers. Discard fat.
    5. Place shredded meat back in slow cooker liner; toss with 1 cup barbecue sauce, and heat on low for 30-60 minutes, until hot.

Serve with additional barbecue sauce.
  • Goosie17
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com ......:happy: has lots of healthy recipes and she has a category for crock pot
  • Thanks everyone! This is awesome. I'm to try some of these!!!
  • StrivingSagittarius
    Options
    l680073890.jpg

From Spark people.....

Introduction

I love this stew! It is so easy and leaves me feeling satisfied. I use 3/4 cup as a serving. If it is too spicy for you, substitute a can of diced tomatoes for one of the diced tomatoes w/chilies.

Number of Servings: 14

Ingredients

1 onion, chopped

1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 16-oz can corn (drained)
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 1.25-oz packet taco seasoning
    1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Directions

Mix everything together in a slow cooker except chicken. Lay chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. This is good eaten with cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips.

Number of Servings: 14

Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 14
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 115.8
    Total Fat: 0.8 g
    Cholesterol: 7.9 mg
    Sodium: 782.8 mg
    Total Carbs: 17.9 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.4 g
    Protein: 7.8 g
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I watch for chicken breasts and pork tenderloins to go on sale then I do up massive batches, portion out and stock my freezer. You can do ANYTHING with the portions; make hot in stirfrys, soups and other dishes, or cold in salads, wraps and "dips." I always have a freezer full of ready to go chicken/pork and only really have to cook a couple days a month. NOT diet friendly, but tonight I am even making individual pumpkin cheesecakes in mason jars in my crockpot for Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite kitchen tools and I am known for my kitchen gadgets!
  • bowling_king_82
    bowling_king_82 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • ndwildbill
    ndwildbill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I watch for chicken breasts and pork tenderloins to go on sale then I do up massive batches, portion out and stock my freezer. You can do ANYTHING with the portions; make hot in stirfrys, soups and other dishes, or cold in salads, wraps and "dips." I always have a freezer full of ready to go chicken/pork and only really have to cook a couple days a month. NOT diet friendly, but tonight I am even making individual pumpkin cheesecakes in mason jars in my crockpot for Thanksgiving. It is one of my favorite kitchen tools and I am known for my kitchen gadgets!

Definitely agree with this. Putting about 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts into the crockpot and adding some water and seasoning and cooking for 6-8 hours can give you plenty of shredded chicken for a week. I really enjoy cooking chicken like this. You can use it for wraps, salads or sandwiches.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Definitely agree with this. Putting about 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts into the crockpot and adding some water and seasoning and cooking for 6-8 hours can give you plenty of shredded chicken for a week. I really enjoy cooking chicken like this. You can use it for wraps, salads or sandwiches.

Right on! Glad to know I'm not the only one who does this! :bigsmile:
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried all of these, but here are the ones I've marked: http://www.pinterest.com/nikki_dw/slow-cooking/
    The spinach lasagna is my favorite.

Really, all you need is a meat and a sauce. Dump some chicken with some buffalo sauce, cook for 6-8 hours, shred and have buffalo chicken sandwiches. Do the same thing with pork and salsa, and you've got taco fillings. The possibilities are endless!! :laugh:
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 big chicken breasts
    chopped yellow onion (1/2 cup or whatever you like)
    2 cans diced tomato (I use the ones with green onions in them)
    1 can black beans
    fresh garlic (2 cloves)
    fresh chopped cilantro (2 tbsp)
    tsp of cumin, chili powder, onion powder
    dash salt & pepper
    2 cups of chicken broth and a cup of water

Put it all in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours or so. When you are close to eating, take the chicken out and shred it (it should shred quite easily) and put back in the pot for a little bit.

Take a large La Tortilla Factory whole wheat tortilla, cut into triangles or strips, spray with cooking spray and salt lightly and heat up in the oven 400 degrees for about 5-8 minutes until crispy. Put on top of soup after pouring in bowl, also can add fat free shredded cheese and/or Greek yogurt for creaminess.

Yum sounds good