Calling All ZUMBA Instructors!!

Options
Hey Guys! So I have been seriously considering getting certified for teaching ZUMBA but wanted to hear some of your experiences and also wanted advice on getting a job to teach afterwards.

I have a full time job but really enjoy Zumba so I thought it would be great!

I was also curious as to how you charged per session.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Nichole

Replies

• nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump...anyone?
  • KatieJo722
    KatieJo722 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! I teach Zumba 3-4 times a week. I can't say I make much money doing it. My gym I work at pays me $14 and hour and taxes come out...ends up being closer to $10. That's on the very low end of what other instructors out there make. I also teach one night a week at a bar and the class is free for anyone and the bar owner just pays me $50 for getting people in the door.

In the end I teach because I love it. The gym does give me a free membership so that helps. It makes me do a couple of very hard hours of cardio every week. You work way harder as an instructor than as a student (I'm not saying my students do kick *kitten* and sweat and work hard, just that as an instructor you don't get a break, every move is all out every song.)

I'd say go for it! If you love it already then do it! Is there a certification coming to your area soon? I live in a pretty small town and there's only one gym to work out. There are four instructors in my area and we're all good friends that kinda pool our resources and teaching opportunities. It's nice when you have a good support system. We also share alot of our dances and music which is handy too.

Anyways, let me know if you have any more questions. I'm happy to help!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm subbing for another instructor, I make $35 per class plus 50% of the punch cards (some people only pay for Zumba classes instead of a full gym membership - I get half of that). I teach 3-4 classes per week, so it works out to some nice extra cash.

One thing to consider is that in order to keep your license valid, you need to pay a monthly fee or re-do the basic training each year.

It's a good idea to get to know the other instructors in your area and base your rate off of what they make. For example, there's a girl in my area that charges way less than the rest of us, and it bugs us because the rest of us have set a high standard and she undercuts it. Also, getting to know the other instructors will give you a chance to sub for them when they are away, and just get you more connected.

And you do work way harder as an instructor :)
  • nichole325
    Options
    Thanks! I signed up to get my Zumba Training on 12/8! Now I'm looking into getting the CPR/AED certification and a group instructor training certification!
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't teach, but just attend. My Zumba instructor loves her job because she can go to school and do this. We do Mon, Tues and Thursday 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm and Wednesday 8-9 am. She charges $4 per session or $30/month.
  • nichole325
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Ladyzumba
    Ladyzumba Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Instructor here, I work full time and teach a couple of days a week. It is a LOT of work and YES we work harder...we are trained to give 110% If you have a good instructor they can make it look easy but be prepared to put in work. I've taught a "private" class where I charged $5 per class. And I teach at a gym for an hourly rate and get a free membership. Remember to practice practice practice once you get started and don't be afraid "borrow" songs/chereography from other classes. Good luck!