PUMPKIN, roasted?

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
I've been eating roasted pumpkin lately... just with butter spray and a bit of salt or garlic salt. I'm loving it. I'm thinking about trying to keep a few around for thanksgiving and taking them to dinner. any suggestions???? do you mash them like potatoes? Any and all recipe ideas accepted, except soup. I already have a phenomenal pumpkin soup recipe that will never be superseded. CAN you supersede a veggie???

Replies

• booyear
    booyear Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I boiled it until it softy and then put it in soy milk and sometime I prefer to put red bean,corn or anything that healthy that u like YUM!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin is awesome. Roasted, mashed, in soup, made in to patties...

I have roast pumpkin for lunch today, along with roasted sweet potato, onion and carrot. All mixed in with some cous cous and Moroccan seasoning. Served with a chicken breast... awesome!
  • jerber160
    Options
    REALIZED THIS WEEK PIE PUMPKINS ARE SWEETER THAN CARVING PUMPKINS. I LIKE THE CARVING ONES BETTER
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Roasted pumpkin curry. Seriously amazing.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Any ideas on what to do with pumpkin pie mix, other than pumpkin pie? (They're the ones that all you have to do is add evaporated milk and egg to). I got a good deal on them and now I have 12 cans!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Any ideas on what to do with pumpkin pie mix, other than pumpkin pie? (They're the ones that all you have to do is add evaporated milk and egg to). I got a good deal on them and now I have 12 cans!

I've never baked with the mix, but personally, I'd probably put it in muffins or quick bread. Something like http://nubbs75.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/pumpkin-pie-muffins-leftover-pie-filling/ or http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipe/big-batch-pumpkin-bread/

But I bet if you went to the product's website they'd have a lot of recipes that use the mix, like here: http://www.verybestbaking.com/libbys/products/easypumpkinpiemix.aspx
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the links, lauracearosa! I printed some off, and I can't wait to try them. I know my mom has been mixing the pure pumpkin in her oatmeal and adding fat free half and half. Not sure how many calories it is, but it sounds like it would be good for you.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Risotto w/ petite peas and pumpkin seeds ...
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Mashed maple roasted pumpkin, w/ bacon and pecans
  • jerber160
    Options
    I've used up left-over pie filling in iced cream.

1cup PUMPKIN PIE FILLING, baked About 3/8 up of SUGAR (yes, you need it!)
    1 pint HEAVY CREAM

toss into ice cream maker.

did you do a search??? I remember seeing some fun things but forget where.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've used up left-over pie filling in iced cream.

1cup PUMPKIN PIE FILLING, baked About 3/8 up of SUGAR (yes, you need it!)
    1 pint HEAVY CREAM

toss into ice cream maker.

did you do a search??? I remember seeing some fun things but forget where.

You could use regular pumpkin in the pumpkin ice cream. The pie filling is a custard, so you could have that without the added calories of a pie crust (or have tarts instead). BTW, you can roast and eat the seeds.

Perhaps this will help (Search results from CookingChannelTV.com). http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/search results.html?dimensions=Content+Type%3aRecipe%3a4294962975%2cMain+Ingredient%3aPumpkin%3a4294963540&lastFilter=ref&searchTerm=pumpkin&offset=0&numOfResults=15&sortBy=
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't supercede your soup recipe - I just made an amazing one as well! I also bought a bunch of pumpkins when my farmer's market closed a few weeks ago. I have plans for more soup, pumpkin poppy seed bread ( a quick bread like banana bread - I don't have a recipe yet I usually wing it), pumpkin pie, roasted pumpkin with ginger caramel sauce, and roasted pumpkin, potatoes, and carrots as a side dish. The possibilities are endless. I always tell people to treat it like a sweet potato and see the different things you can do with it.