Help breaking weight loss plateau

Options
Hi all!

I am a 23 year old, 5'4", 143 lbs female looking to lose my last 8 lbs. Starting in this past January at 185 lbs, I have eased myself into a healthier lifestyle, first with Weight Watchers, with which I lost 39 lbs, and now continuing with MFP. I completed the Insanity workout program and have been recently gotten into running...completing my first 5k in October. I recently had my body fat tested and found that it was a very healthy 23%.

My problem is that now I've hit a major weight loss plateau and can't seem to lose my last 8 lbs (135 lbs goal weight). I had initially switched from Weight Watchers to MFP because I experienced a 2 month long weight loss plateau at 146 lbs, despite exercising regularly and eating according to the plan.

In reading forums, I decided to raise my caloric intake to 1750 calories/day (WW had me unknowingly eating ~1000cal/day). I immediately lost 2 lbs and then another 1.5 lbs. But that's where it's stopped and won't budge past! I eat 1750 calories a day and exercise 3-4 times/week (running 3 miles on both Saturday and Sunday, then an Insanity workout 1 or 2 nights during the week, with very light weight lifting after). I try to eat mainly fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, lean proteins, eggs, greek yogurt, and salads. I do mix in snack foods such as kettlecorn, ice cream, and pretzels but it all falls within my daily calorie goal.

When I got my body fat tested, they also tested my RMR (using the breath/oxygen method). It came out to 1627 cal/day. Given my RMR and exercise level, is 1750 calories enough per day for weight loss or am I eating too little? I can't imagine eating less would be healthy.

Any recommendations for getting past this plateau? Anyone been here before and have helpful advice or just reassurance that this will pass?!

Thank you all in advance!! :)

Replies

• agcarden1
    agcarden1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You've made great progress so far! Dont let a plateau stop you from working towards being healthier! I'm in about the same boat as you. I'm 147, goal is 135, and the pounds are coming off slow as molasses! I am also a weight watchers convert after realizing how few calories I was actually eating on the plan (mine was close to 800 cal/day). I had lost about 10lbs on WW, then plateaued for the longest time when I gave up on WW and came to MFP. It took about 3 months post WW to finally start seeing some improvements on the scale again. Here are a few things that I think helped me break through:

1. I invested in a FitBit- shows how many calories I ACTUALLY burn in a day, and challenges me to be more active than I previously was. I used to get done with a workout and being satisfied with my progress, I'd lay around on the couch for the rest of the day. Now I'm walking at least 5 miles a day in addition to working out.

2. Actually weighing foods, not using measuring cups. There's a big calorie window between what you think it might be and what it is. Even your "small apple" could be more calories than MFP gives it credit. And dont trust measurements on pre-packaged food either. This thread might be helpful: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1135499-eating-more-than-you-think

3. Drowning myself with water and cutting back on salt. I notice that when I have high sodium days, my weight the next morning is up. Low sodium days are usually followed by a lower number on the scale. (Granted, the scale does not tell you everything, but over time it can tell you how you're progressing and point out small trends like this)

Good luck on your journey! Feel free to add me if you need support from someone in your shoes!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What most people believe by a plateau doesn't exist. If you are not losing weight, you're not in a deficit. Do all the things in the excellent post above, but also recheck your daily requirement - the less we weigh, the fewer calories we need.

The "eat more and lose weight" thing is baloney as well. Calories in must be less than calories out if you want to lose weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The "eat more and lose weight" thing is baloney as well. Calories in must be less than calories out if you want to lose weight.

Nope, all the 'eat more to lose weight' thing is doing is showing people that you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Obviously you still need a deficit.

You're probably eating too much. Weigh everything, log properly.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You have made great progress! Bravo!

I am at the same place as you are, though I am not a female. I started about a year ago at 209 lbs, and this morning I was at 148 lbs, heading for 135 lbs. I am 5'6" and 65. I did not discover MFP until October. I wish I had started here sooner.

I just broke through my current plateau. For me, it was a matter of increasing my daily run distance from 3 miles to 4 miles, and working hard to decrease my times. I mix 3 mile runs with 4 miles runs, and try to keep my three mile runs under 12 minutes/mile. At least one run I aim for under 11 minutes/mile. Long and slow most days with a day or two of increased pace days is what did it for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    The "eat more and lose weight" thing is baloney as well.

^^No.
    Calories in must be less than calories out if you want to lose weight.

^^Yes.

So, in closing, I don't understand what you're actually thinking here.
  • p4ulmiller
    Options
    The "eat more and lose weight" thing is baloney as well.

^^no

It really is. You need to eat in a deficit to lose weight. Eating more does not make you lose weight quicker. Scientific baloney.
  • csnodgr1
    csnodgr1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the great suggestions!!

I'm going to take them and experiment to see what works for me. I've been thinking about buying a fitbit for a while now and this thread might have just sold it to me! I've also been considering changing up my workout routine so tomorrow I'll see if I can do a longer run. If nothing else, I think the variety will be good for my body.

I do currently use a food scale to measure any food that isn't packaged but the attached article definitely sheds a light on the inaccuracy of labeled foods.

Water is definitely something that I need to focus on. When I went for the body composition test, the technician noted that my water weight was slightly higher than the normal accepted range.

More than anything, it's nice to know that others have been in the same place and that it's possible to get past it.

How long did your plateaus last?
  • p4ulmiller
    Options
    How long did your plateaus last?

Plateaus don't exis.... *sigh* Never mind.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I think plateaus do exist and they seem to happen at weights that were hard to get by before. I know that probably does not make sense, but it seemed to happen to me. My most recent one lasted 34 days. And i definitely think most of those days were at a calorie deficit. But i was very close to my goal weight and it had been going slower - the closer i got. I think the thing that got me past it was to change up my exercise somewhat. I cycle a lot and i threw in a couple of sprint days. Finally it moved!