How do you stay motivated?

Options
Looking for ideas to keep myself motivated. I've had a pretty rough week this week but I'm definitely not ready to throw the towel in. But many more weeks like this last one and I might be. So what do you guys do when you start feeling this way?

Replies

• 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I've noticed if I just grit my teeth and ride out the harder weeks that they always pass and then a good week makes it all worth while. Just hang in there, there's better times ahead. :flowerforyou:
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I hope so!
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Depends...are you talking about dieting or exercise?

IMO, if you're not having fun with your workout and aren't looking forward to it then find a workout you enjoy - even if it means a smaller burn.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I remind myself of my ultimate goal(s)
    I try to change things up. Try new foods. Try new exercise.;
    I try to distract myself from whatever is testing my willpower.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    for this...this has been a total lifestyle change. I went from wearing a 20wp to a 4/6p. I NEVER want to see that fat girl again. Oh, and all the cute clothes I have now.....all my fat clothes were given away
  • bumbambi
    bumbambi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i got myself a pinterest account and whenever i needed a motivational pickmeup, browsed through the fitness boards and pinned my own stuff! :D

/definitely gets me to work out or say no to the second muffin! ;)
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Pinterest helps me too! For example, I:

-pin cute clothes I want to or hope to wear some day!
    -pin exercises and stretches I can do at home while guiltily watching silly reality tv!
    -pin yummy healthy recipes, and then plan my meals based on them every sunday!

and doing something every day toward your goal is good. even if you slip on dieting, add a 15 minute walk or something. if you promise yourself that every day you will at least try ONE thing, you're going to stay on track.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot of weight. It would be a shame if you "threw in the towel" at this stage. Don't waste it! If you need a break, take one. That doesn't mean going hog wild and regaining all the weight back. Just maintain where you are for awhile until you are ready to get back to business. (That means you keep logging so you don't get out of the habit and backslide.) You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • stages95
    stages95 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Personally rather than motivate myself that I have to exercise, I know I have to do it or I'll feel disappointed in myself for not.

I fit it into my schedule. Even if you break it down into five minute chunks (1x morning, afternoon and evening) it will prove beneficial :smile:
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'd recomend getting creative with it. Pictures (how you want or don't want to look, people who inspire you, places or things you wnat to do when you've reached your goal, etc.) and can be strong motivators. I have even taped photos to my bathroom mirror to see when I start and end my day and on my refrigerator, too. Music (motivational) played during or prior to workouts. People (conversations with empathetic relatives or friends, especially when things get rough). Having goals beyond just weight loss (many of mine have been around doing things I couldn't do before like snowshoing and learning to swim again). Setting short-term challenge goals (like increasing the target speed or reps or whatever for exercises). There must be as many ways to motivate oneself as there are people. Don't let stuff drag you down and keep you from being who you can and want to be!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on motivation to get you through - it is bound to fail at some point. Instead, build habits over time by slowly changing things that are easily controlled such as swapping unhealthy food for the more healthy option (that you enjoy - it won't work if you force yourself to do stuff you hate). Once established, defend your habits by regularly practicing them, every day.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Iconx15
    Options
    I know what I want and will do almost anything to achieve it
  • Hiccup62301
    Hiccup62301 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    When it comes to working out, I just keep telling myself "Never give up!" Also, set goals - short term, intermediate, and long term goals. It's easier to reach short term goals and then become more motivated to try for the intermediate and long term goals. Keep your chin up - you've come a long way to throw in the towel! :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    With working out, I try to set goals for myself and choose activities that allow me to meet them and see progress. For example, going an extra 5 then 15 then 20 minutes on the elliptical does not do it for me. Things like Couch 2 5K or adding on miles I can swim to eventually swim across a lake next summer motivate me. I like doing a 5K one year and doing it the next year with an idea of how much time I want to shave off. Weights are great because I set personal records on amounts I can lift and they are progressive. I love hiking so I choose peaks I want to "bag" with a goal of bagging certain peaks over 10,000 feet.

I recently started CrossFit and I find it keeps me very motivated. You are always tracking your progress and competing against yourself. There are lots of opportunities to progress to goals like an unassisted pushup, a personal record on a certain lift, or a better time on your baseline test.

Fitness is fun when you are seeing results!:happy:
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If I feel my motivation slipping I tend to remind myself of how bad I felt when I was heavier or I scare myself by reading about health implications of being overweight. If that fails then watching an episode of the extreme makeover weightloss show with Chris Powell can be a motivator; if someone who weighs over 300lb can get out and exercise then so can I!

Oh and, obviously, playing the Rocky theme tune. Standard.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on motivation to get you through - it is bound to fail at some point. Instead, build habits over time by slowly changing things that are easily controlled such as swapping unhealthy food for the more healthy option (that you enjoy - it won't work if you force yourself to do stuff you hate). Once established, defend your habits by regularly practicing them, every day.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:

This. I don't stay motivated, but I stay committed.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Looking at old pics of me & looking at my old clothes. I still have them hanging right next to my new clothes to keep me on track everyday
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I read the success stories on MFP :)
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've refocused how I like at things. I live life one day at a time and try and control the things I can and not stress about the things I can't. When my week doesn't go as planned and work is stressful, I just remember that this is my new life and I don't really have any other choice but to do what I need to do....exercise and eat right. I also this is a great place because there are so many folks around to help keep you focused.

Also...You've lost a good bit of weight and must be feeling so much better. Focus on that and use that as your motivation. Feeling good has been the best part of my weight loss.