Should I get a tummy tuck?

Options
13»

Replies

• meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Go lift some weights instead it will be so much better for you than unnecessary surgery.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBt-y7zYEQw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTE7nfB_ZdXoa3LnKRmmd4g

This is a Youtube video of me showing the loose skin on my stomach. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. Everyone else thinks I am too. But I wanted some more opinions. Thanks guys :)

having had one myself I can say unequivocally: absolutely not. Absolutely not.

it's not worth it for the benefit you will receive, which is not even any benefit. Your benefit would consist of a period of time without a handbag. Only a period of time. Why? Because you are young enough for this to go. slowly, yes. But it will go on its own. I doubt any surgeon would permit you to have this procedure.

A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty involves slicing your skin across the lower abdomen just above your pubic hair line. then they cut a circle around your tummy button to release it. then they slide their hands up between your skin and your flesh to your chest up to below your pecs, loosening it and pulling it away from the rest of you.

then they stretch the skin (skin & subcutaneous fat layer) as far down as it will go and cut off excess flesh and skin, then sew you up. They guess where your puku ought to go, cut you a new hole and stitch the puku button around so that it looks like a new one.

this is a serious procedure done under a general anaesthetic. Recovery time is at least 2 weeks before you can do much of anything and there will be a drain coming out of the wound area for at least a week, after that you are wearing a pressure bandage for maybe a month. This is an attempt at making the layers of flesh stick back together again.

You lose nervous sensation in that area, and the lower tummy just above the pubis is quite a sensitive erogenous zone for most.

Cost/benefit ratios are not in your favour.

benefit: you get your tummy back to taught slightly sooner than otherwise

Cost: a scar, nerve damage, dangers of anaesthetic procedure and invasive surgery procedure; potential post-operative depression.

and if you ever put on weight again, you will stretch this unnaturally tight skin. The skin becomes tight.

:)

Excellent post.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    A girl on my FL went and spoke to a surgeon about doing a tummy tuck because she has lost over 100 lbs.

He said you should wait until 18 months AFTER you have started maintaining to even think about it, because it takes 18 months for your body to adjust to what it will actually be.

So for now, do some strength training and don't worry about it at all. Just recognize that that's not the final product.

This is great to know...
  • Nilasaurus
    Nilasaurus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! Until you pinched it I was like what's wrong with this guy, what loose skin! Having said that, you've just finished losing, it takes time. I would say give it 3 more months & then compare.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    if you have to ask the answer is almost certainly NO!
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    While I don't think there is anything wrong with cosmetic surgery (I got a breast reduction a couple years back), I think it should be a personal decision with great consideration to the risks and not something that should be left to the public to decide.

*Edited for grammar
  • traemar
    Options
    That's encouraging (and it wasn't even my question). Thnx
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You don't have very much loose skin, give it some time. I personally have ridiculous amounts of loose skin. My inner thighs look like meat curtains. :(

LOL I literally laughed out loud because I to have lost a boat load of weight and also have this issue but never thought to label it as meat curtains but think from here on out that will be my new term as well.... ROFL.... OP I do not think you need surgery, hitting the weight room for some strength training and time should tighten things up... Best of Luck

I think the technical term really is 'apron fat'. I could so have lived without know that!

BTW, I get it every time I'm about dump weight, Iget them.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Give it 6 months for your body to adjust , along with weightlifting/exercise..Plus a clean diet, see what work you can do on your own, then if loose skin is still there go for it.. I have had 3 babies 2nd one I gained 60 lbs, and with diet and exercise I got my ab's showing again.. Put in some work & time 1st , goodluck
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBt-y7zYEQw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTE7nfB_ZdXoa3LnKRmmd4g

This is a Youtube video of me showing the loose skin on my stomach. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy. Everyone else thinks I am too. But I wanted some more opinions. Thanks guys :)

it's not worth it for the benefit you will receive, which is not even any benefit. Your benefit would consist of a period of time without a handbag. Only a period of time. Why? Because you are young enough for this to go. slowly, yes. But it will go on its own. I doubt any surgeon would permit you to have this procedure.

A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty involves slicing your skin across the lower abdomen just above your pubic hair line. then they cut a circle around your tummy button to release it. then they slide their hands up between your skin and your flesh to your chest up to below your pecs, loosening it and pulling it away from the rest of you.

then they stretch the skin (skin & subcutaneous fat layer) as far down as it will go and cut off excess flesh and skin, then sew you up. They guess where your puku ought to go, cut you a new hole and stitch the puku button around so that it looks like a new one.

this is a serious procedure done under a general anaesthetic. Recovery time is at least 2 weeks before you can do much of anything and there will be a drain coming out of the wound area for at least a week, after that you are wearing a pressure bandage for maybe a month. This is an attempt at making the layers of flesh stick back together again.

You lose nervous sensation in that area, and the lower tummy just above the pubis is quite a sensitive erogenous zone for most.

Cost: a scar, nerve damage, dangers of anaesthetic procedure and invasive surgery procedure; potential post-operative depression.

and if you ever put on weight again, you will stretch this unnaturally tight skin. The skin becomes tight.

In the OP's case I would say that the OP doesn't need the surgery but to lay out a blanket statement that the surgery is not need for some who have lost massive amounts of weight and do to genetics and age and other factors may not have a choice... I had lost over 300 lbs. over 3 years and had a massive amount of skin folds around my torso and was battling skin infections (cellulitis) that once they began had to be treated within the hour or I was in grave danger... The last couple times I had the infections once it started it spread up my stomach, across my chest, up my neck and started to work its way down my throat and began shutting off my airway.. This would occur in under an hour leaving me just enough time to get to the Emergency room... I would be on antibiotics for the next 4-6 weeks to get it completely cleared up... I was to the point of using hibiclens (surgical soap) to keep the areas clean and applying baby powder to keep those areas dry and would still have bouts with these infections...

I lost it slow, used lotions, drank lots of water, lifted weights, etc, etc.. and in the end my skin never returned to normal (at 560 pounds I had a 78 in waist) the skin was just to stretched out... In the end I made (and my doctor totally backed me up) the decision to have a circumferential body lift surgery and had 17 lbs. of loose skin and tissue removed... I had 4 drains in, wore the compression garments, had my abdominal muscle repaired (cinched in 6 1/2 in.), went through a extensive recovery and would do it all again tomorrow even knowing all that I had went through... I no longer have skin infections, moving around in daily life and during exercise is day and nights difference, my clothes fit so much better (wearing 36 in, jeans now). Yes there is permanent nerve damage that I will never regenerate but it is a small price to pay for the benefits that I have received from it... It will ultimately come down to personal preference and doing what is best for you..

Mental confidence is a whole other side to this surgery, I still have/had self confidence issues even after losing 300+ lbs. All the hanging skin was so deflating after all the hard work I had put in so getting rid of it and having everything tight around my midsection is in itself a confidence booster... Just wanted to make sure the other side of this is represented fairly.... But OP like I stated before time and exercise should be all you need to tighten things up in your case..... Best of Luck
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    I am 5 weeks into my recovery from an abdominoplasty. "Tummy Tuck" is a deceptively "cute" word for what is a major surgical procedure!

Contrary to what some have stated, I did not find the procedure very painful, but recovery is still a long process. I am already very happy with the results. Two years after my weight loss I had an apron of loose skin the hung down to my thighs. The results of my surgery are dramatic - and I am very happy I went ahead with the procedure.

Only you can decide if this procedure is worth pursuing. As others have said - I would wait at least 18 months - and try other options like exercise - before committing to such major surgery.

As I live in Canada, and had had significant weight loss, the procedure was done at no cost to me - I look at it as my reward for all the hard work I put in to losing the weight!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

In the OP's case I would say that the OP doesn't need the surgery but to lay out a blanket statement that the surgery is not need for some who have lost massive amounts of weight and do to genetics and age and other factors may not have a choice... I had lost over 300 lbs. over 3 years and had a massive amount of skin folds around my torso and was battling skin infections (cellulitis) that once they began had to be treated within the hour or I was in grave danger... The last couple times I had the infections once it started it spread up my stomach, across my chest, up my neck and started to work its way down my throat and began shutting off my airway.. This would occur in under an hour leaving me just enough time to get to the Emergency room... I would be on antibiotics for the next 4-6 weeks to get it completely cleared up... I was to the point of using hibiclens (surgical soap) to keep the areas clean and applying baby powder to keep those areas dry and would still have bouts with these infections...

I lost it slow, used lotions, drank lots of water, lifted weights, etc, etc.. and in the end my skin never returned to normal (at 560 pounds I had a 78 in waist) the skin was just to stretched out... In the end I made (and my doctor totally backed me up) the decision to have a circumferential body lift surgery and had 17 lbs. of loose skin and tissue removed... I had 4 drains in, wore the compression garments, had my abdominal muscle repaired (cinched in 6 1/2 in.), went through a extensive recovery and would do it all again tomorrow even knowing all that I had went through... I no longer have skin infections, moving around in daily life and during exercise is day and nights difference, my clothes fit so much better (wearing 36 in, jeans now). Yes there is permanent nerve damage that I will never regenerate but it is a small price to pay for the benefits that I have received from it... It will ultimately come down to personal preference and doing what is best for you..

Mental confidence is a whole other side to this surgery, I still have/had self confidence issues even after losing 300+ lbs. All the hanging skin was so deflating after all the hard work I had put in so getting rid of it and having everything tight around my midsection is in itself a confidence booster... Just wanted to make sure the other side of this is represented fairly.... But OP like I stated before time and exercise should be all you need to tighten things up in your case..... Best of Luck

I do hope nobody thought that my specific response to this young man's personal predicament was being taken as a blanket anti-abdominoplasty statement.

I believe no such thing. But this young man definitely should not have one. He probably would have to go to a chop shop to get any surgeon willing to perform it: he's well outside the criteria. :)
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    As to the 'only you can decide' pinko flower waving stuff - has either of you two seen his video? Seen it?

Actually seen it?

You need to know who you're talking about when you give the kid encouragement. there is absolutely NO WAY he should have this procedure. absolutely NO WAY. No matter what he thinks. It's not up for grabs. Don't lie to him. You're messing with is head.
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options

^^ listen to this
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think you should wait. I am currently making the rounds of plastic surgeons to see about getting one myself, so I'm not against surgery. Since you just lost the weight, & you lost it quickly, your skin will need time to retract if it's going to. Not everyone's skin will recover on its own, but you are young & did not lose a massive amount of weight so chances are good that it will. If it still bothers you after a year of maintaining, go see a surgeon & see what they say.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Not yet. Wait it out for at least a year and see how things change. If you're still unhappy and can afford it... Go for it. Just realize it is a serious surgical procedure and is extremely painful.

Tummy tuck may Also leave some pretty nasty scarring. Ill leave looking that up to you.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Loose skin can take up to a year to shrink/reattach. Also, putting some more muscle on your core could help fill up that extra skin but in a good way! Try exercises for the back, abs & obliques and upping your protein intake!

Loose skin can be stubborn... And no one can understand our body issues the way we do & the way we see it in the mirror. But keep in mind that surgery isn't a magical solution. They can actually make your stomach look WORSE than before. Complications like dimpling, toughness, loss of sensation, wrinkling, asymmetry, etc. are common complications. It just takes a google search to read personal accounts or see photos.

Think it through! I suggest you wait up to a year for your skin to reset or try building muscle!