PICKLE JUICE?

Options
I have problems with calf cramping that strikes during the final portion of marathons. I have decided to try pickle juice. (Other electrolyte fixes haven't done the job. I've tried loading salt, using Nuun, using gatorade, powerade, cytomax...nothing has stopped the lightning strike of calf cramping.) I do find that coconut water suits me, but I haven't used it in a marathon yet.

I have heard the combo of salt+vinegar is very effective. Pickle juicing...

I'm looking for any feedback that you have about using pickle juice during or before big events!

How much is too much? How much works? (I am 5'2" about 115 lbs.)

Replies

• 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Any other ideas you have about how to prevent or manage calf cramping during marathons would be very much appreciated!!!!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I have no experience in the prevention of calf cramping using pickle juice, but I do have experience with drinking a large quantity of the stuff. I think it's yummy. I only allow myself 2 big swallows at a time, anymore, though. One time I drank the whole jar's worth at a single go, and my digestive system definitely didn't like it. I felt completely cleaned out, afterwards, but I remember using the phrase "peeing out of my butt" to describe the completely liquid diarrhea that resulted from all that pickle juice. I'd test for maximum dosing at home, on a day when you don't have any other plans.
  • Metuka37
    Metuka37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pickle Juice always works for me!
  • michelle34152
    michelle34152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Pickle juice works for me, too.

So does a cup of broth with a 1/4 teaspoon of NuSalt to replace potassium and sodium. If I don't take it daily, I get awful foot and calf cramps.
  • hevva9
    hevva9 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A good Magnesium supplement for a few days before the event:smile:
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!