What made you start this journey?

Options
lauraspberry
lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
Well as for me, first was when my Physical Therapist blatantly called me chubby (which i think is totally unethical but maybe she got too comfortable with me when she knew I was an Occupational Therapy student) so I tried crash diets because duh she's a health professional and she called me basically fat LOL and well the most I lost is 2 lbs but gained like 5lbs in return.

And then the second one is when I had a point in my life where I was so exhausted with my life. School is too hectic, I'm not getting too much sleep, etc. so i gave up with trying, and everything went downhill, i failed some classes last 2012 so this year I can only take 2 out of the 10 classes that i'm supposed to be taking. I was in a point of being so hopeless and literally tired of my life. Well I wasnt suicidal but everyday I just felt lethargic. And then I met my boyfriend while I was trying out online dating. He inspired me to do better in life, he didn't told me to put my life together, he saw me as almost perfect as a matter of fact but seeing him doing well in his life, it inspired me to move forward. Seeing him being so graceful at everything made me wanna be a better person.

And so, I am starting with my health. I gained 17 lbs since I entered college, and it's bad because I wasn't fit when I entered college anyways. So while I haven't crossed the overweight mark yet, i decided to do something about it than be sorry in the future. Here I am now, 17lbs lighter (before I joined MFP I already lost 4 so it's only 13 lbs in my ticker) and I still got 10lbs to go :D I eat clean, exercise and just am living my life. I have never been happier :D

Replies

• JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    First of all, it was my sons, ages 24 and 21. I was really into health and fitness when they were growing up and then me and their dad divorced and I went back to work full time so life got in the way. They were really pushing for me to start taking better care of myself. The second thing was one of my favorite clothing stores. I went in there last year to buy a new outfit and nothing fit!!! Now I can go in there and rock any outfit I choose!!! :bigsmile:
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Time for a change, really. Wasn't happy, on my way to happy :)
  • DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    When I came close to hitting 280 on a scale and I couldn't do anything for more than 5 min with out breathing like I was dying.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    My overall health, really. I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, had struggled with my weight and general health for years. Having switched GPs, the new doc mentioned MFP to help me out. Happy to say that I'm now healthy again plus I'm at an all time (for adult years) new low weight and size.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    my youngest niece asked if i went outside with out a shirt i said some time she said i must scare people eyes. basically there were embarased to be seen with me. it hurt like hell but it saved my life
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Someone had to throw The Ring into Mt. Doom.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    When I finally accepted I was a Type II diabetic and obese. Now, according to my physician, I am no longer a diabetic, I lowered my high blood pressure and my BMI is at the low end of the normal range. I have never been happier or felt healthier.
  • sarkazm
    sarkazm Posts: 104
    Options
    The scale getting way too close to 300lbs. Wasn't going to let that happen!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I knew I was overweight but found it so hard to lose it and keep it off. I resigned myself to the fact I would be fat for the rest of my life, and it made me want to cry. I pretended to be happy but deep down I hated myself.

In April 2011 my friend asked me if I wanted to start running and she told me about MFP. I told her that I would join her because if she got skinny and I was still fat I would be pissed off. True words lol

The rest is history! I owe it to her for starting me off....

I always hated seeing people succeed and I was still fat.. hence the quote on my profile 'this time next year you will wish you started today'

I've still had my ups and downs.. lost 86, maintained 84lbs lost for ages, then gained 10 having fun all summer, almost got it all back off!
  • bernied262
    bernied262 Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I had a health scare, made me reassess a number of things in my life. Made me think long and hard about why I got fat, I decided it was time to get ME back.
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    One morning I got on the scale and it said 169 and I said HOLLY ****. and then some guy at work said I had a muffin top!!(*kitten*)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Steve Perry.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Someone had to throw The Ring into Mt. Doom.

My Precious!!!
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've always had issues with my weight - from anorexia and bulimia in HS to being overweight as an adult. For me, I changed my life style in July when a friend challenged me to pick a goal and stick to it and if I made it, we would reward ourselves (she was doing it too) in November with a shopping trip. We had just completed our first Dirty Dash and I wasn't happy with myself. I struggled on the obstacle course and I wanted to do better. So I made my goal, stumbled upon the MFP app in my phone and I haven't looked back. It isn't always easy and now that I'm not losing as fast as I was, there are days I become discouraged, but I am happier. I haven't felt and looked this good in years and I want to finish. I've been told that I can stay at the current weight and that I look phenomenal, but personally, I want to try a little more.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Oh you guys I love your responses ♥ isn't remembering why we started even more motivating? I mean when we go back to why we started, it really helps when we get those times that we just wanna stop. Some do it for health reasons, some do it so they'd look good, some just wants a change but whatever our reasons are, there's no doubt that our personal journeys have changed our lives for the better :D