getting veggie servings while traveling?

Options
ok so this is actually for a friend of mine, she just got signed as a performer and they will be going on tour for 6 months. she is a very healthy/ has a routine eater. going on tour scares her because she knows they are going to be eating at fast food almost everyday, if not for every meal! she came to me asking advice on how to get in her vegetable servings and how to keep it healthy when she knows she will most likely be stuck with fast food stops the whole trip... im clueless.... any advice would be super! thanx :D

Replies

• jfl5
    jfl5 Posts: 37
    Options
    There's usually a Subway near fast food places. They make salads in addition to the sandwiches.
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Travelling where? From where? Is this in a half-way civilised country with some supermarkets? Will she be able to get to one of them sometime during the day?Are they open there? Because vegetables of course need to be bought fresh...
    If this is possible, she should take a picnic set with at least: a cutting board, small paring knife (best with a cover for the blade), a bowl, a fork, and possibly dishwashing detergent and a kitchen towel.
    She could go to the supermarket and buy some lettuce, tomato, cucumber, capsicum, tomato, and maybe dressing, then when she has free time, prepare herself a bowl of salad.

It's what I'd do at work. She could also get herself some wraps, make a wrap and maybe enjoy that when the others have fast food.
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    good idea! I don't know why I didn't even think of that... iv been trying to figure out something she can pack with her that would give her a serving of veggies but not go bad... like something that she can put in her bag n travel with
  • KickingButt
    KickingButt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    also a good idea, but from the sounds of it her traveling will make it hard to do so... they will be in a different city almost every night, when they arrive they go straight to stage n practice/set up, then get on the bus after the show n head to the next location... lots of sleeping on the bus and eating there too... so im not sure.. I will throw all of these ideas at her n see what she can work with :)
  • ashleykenny8
    ashleykenny8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If your friend is somehow forced to eat only at fast food places, they have better options than they used to. Many places now have salads that are actually really good. If I have to eat fast food and don't feel like a salad, sometimes I'll get a kids meal. I've gotten bags of baby carrots and apple slices before in kids meals. Tell her to look at Eat This Not That, they have good info on restaurant meals. She can also go to the websites of these places and they should have the nutritional information.
    Good luck to her!