What to do for shakiness/hunger?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

A low-normal glucose is around 50. You don't have real problems unless it's under 30.

I WISH I could get my fasting glucose under 90.

Keep us posted.

BTW, you might want to see an endocrinologist...

Where did you get your figure of 50 - according to the American Diabetes Association, anything below 70 is considered abnormally low (hypoglycemia).

THIS ^^^

Just going to add a bit more info on normal blood sugar levels from Edward S. Horton, M.D., Section Head, Clinical Research at Joslin Diabetes Center; Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
    http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DiabetesScreening/story?id=3812946

Question:What is the normal range for blood sugar levels, and what blood sugar level constitutes a true emergency?

Answer:Now, in a normal individual we measure blood sugar under different circumstances. What we call fasting blood sugar or blood glucose levels is usually done six to eight hours after the last meal. So it's most commonly done before breakfast in the morning; and the normal range there is 70 to 100 milligrams per deciliter.

Now when you eat a meal, blood sugar generally rises and in a normal individual it usually does not get above a 135 to 140 milligrams per deciliter. So there is a fairly narrow range of blood sugar throughout the entire day.

Now in our diabetic patients we see both low blood sugar levels that we call hypoglycemia, or elevated blood sugars, hyperglycemia. Now, if the blood sugar drops below about 60 or 65 milligrams per deciliter, people will generally get symptoms, which are some shakiness, feeling of hunger, maybe a little racing of the heart and they will usually be trenchant or if they eat something, it goes away right away. But if blood sugar drops below 50 and can get down as low as 40 or 30 or even 20, then there is a progressive loss of mental function and eventually unconsciousness and seizures. And of course that is very dangerous and a medical emergency.

On the other side, if blood sugar gets up above 180 to 200, then it exceeds the capacity of the kidneys to reabsorb the glucose and we begin to spill glucose into the urine. And if it gets way up high, up in the 400s or even 500s, it can be associated with some alteration in mental function. And in this situation, if it persists for a long time, we can actually see mental changes as well. So either too low or very exceedingly high can cause changes in mental function.

Hi, this is so succinct...thank you

But it looks like you talking about people who are diabetic getting these extreme (coma) symptoms...what about non-diabetic people are they at risk of hypoglycaemic COMA because their blood glucose is low?? What I am infering, is that in the NON DIABETIC person, blood sugars will normally regulate enough so that although the symptoms of LOW blood sugars are uncomfortable they are not life threatening...which hypoglycaemia in the DIABETIC person (especially insulin cobtrolled!) most certainly is. But, I NEED educating on this, because although all I have been taught tells me so....who knows...things can have changed...and I am rusty when it comes to general medicine....Lovely people, ty for responding to me :-)
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

A low-normal glucose is around 50. You don't have real problems unless it's under 30.

Keep us posted.

Where did you get your figure of 50 - according to the American Diabetes Association, anything below 70 is considered abnormally low (hypoglycemia).

The only thing I am going to add to this is that the below 70 (3.9 mmols in UK speak) would be low IN DIABETICS...not sure if it would be considered abnormally low in non-diabetics....maybe dr google can help :wink:

Sorry, but that's the low point of the normal range for anyone, diabetic or not. Every time you have any blood work done, the results come back showing both your counts and the normal range for that item (be it glucose, hemoglobin, vitamin D or whatever). Blood tests have established ranges. These ranges apply no matter what disease you may or may not have, which is why blood tests are so important in diagnosis. Often a blood test is used as partof determining whether or not a person has a particular disorder or disease.
  • thundrks
    thundrks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Very occasionally during the day (on a weekend) I will take a short nap on the couch, maybe 30-45 minutes. When I get up from the nap I always have a similar shaky/hungry feeling. I have no blood sugar/diabetes issues at all - it just happens..it happens regardless of whether I've just eaten a meal or it's been several hours.

I could definitely stuff my face with every food in sight and sometimes I've done just that. I almost instantly feel better though after I've eaten something naughty... if I eat a fruit or carrot stick I feel NO SATISFACTION. I feel that with me PERSONALLY it's related to thyroid function which I have had issues with since I had my first child. Has caused lots of emotional issues for me.

When it happens I try not to go crazy and stand INSIDE the pantry frantically opening packages and cramming food down my throat (I believe this is totally emotional - seriously - my thyroid made me do it). What has worked best for me is a small piece of Dove chocolate and I make a coffee and sip it..

Good luck to you, I hope you get it figured out.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Sure go ahead and eat fruits and veggies. That way you won't blow it completely on junk food. You want to avoid the shakes completely. Do this by eating small meals about 3 hours a part. Small healthy meals. Not a full course dinner. I've been there many times myself. You will do this. You can do this. Just don't let yourself get so hungry that it makes you lose control. Plan ahead. Keep almonds, yogurt, cheese sticks, etc... around. Wishing you the best!
    it's a new day

I would agree with this, you may not be diabetic but you may be hypoglycemic like me.. I get really shaky and moody if I don't eat something every 3 hours. Good luck and feel free to add me :)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Interesting.

Keep us posted.

The only thing I am going to add to this is that the below 70 (3.9 mmols in UK speak) would be low IN DIABETICS...not sure if it would be considered abnormally low in non-diabetics....maybe dr google can help :wink:

Sorry, but that's the low point of the normal range for anyone, diabetic or not. Every time you have any blood work done, the results come back showing both your counts and the normal range for that item (be it glucose, hemoglobin, vitamin D or whatever). Blood tests have established ranges. These ranges apply no matter what disease you may or may not have, which is why blood tests are so important in diagnosis. Often a blood test is used as partof determining whether or not a person has a particular disorder or disease.
    ^Yup, and the explanation from the endocrinologist trumps google any day. Standards of low and high are actually defined in "normal" individuals, and those numbers are aimed for in diabetics and others with disregulation of blood sugar.

ETA: Is disregulation a word? Not thinking particularly clearly right now. If not, forgive me :smile:
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You're "allowed" to eat when you're hungry. The point is to make good choices about portions so you're within your daily calorie goals but you're not setting yourself up for a binge when you panic because you're too hungry/shaky. You won't get very far through deprivation (read: you won't get far binging), so have a piece of fruit or some low-fat cottage cheese an hour or two before dinner.
  • burnski74
    Options
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. The one day I didn't have my high protein breakfast and had to be on my feet for the majority of my work day, and I crashed and burned in the early afternoon. A handful of almonds and some water got me going again, and diligently planning my food intake now means I don't have that problem anymore. I think the important thing is to listen to your body, and see a medical professional with any questions or concerns you may have.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I switched to TDEE because I was feeling irritable and underfed constantly despite losing at a fairly quick pace. I am losing slower now and closing in on my goal, so it may not come as soon now, but have more energy and feel much better.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    There is no way you could eat - you said binge - on fruits and vegetables and not go over your calorie limit. The WW plan formula is based on 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day and just because they have 0 points doesn't mean they have 0 calories.
  • nannyciriaco
    Options
    I have to agree with so many responses about your shakiness...I too was on WW, but found that I loved my fruit way too much, and that resulted in me eating out of control...I have not cared about my weight for a while, but I need to get myself healthy...
    I used to get that way, but realized I hadn't eaten enough protein...try starting your day with a good protein breakfast to start your day, not goo much though...I don't think it is a sugar issue, as when that would happen to me I would grab a hard boiled egg and eat it and I felt better....
    Good luck...it's not an easy transition but if you counted point with WW and were ok you will be fine with the calorie counting...