Desperate for exercise

Options
I really want to start back into an exercise routine. However I am having a hard time finding the time. I work about a ten to twelve hour day and have a five month old that keeps me busy. She keeps me up a lot during the night so my sleep is very deprived. I try to do short stints while playing on the floor with her or walk outside but our weather is changing.

I know these are all excuses but looking for some good motivational people that can give advice. I know many of you have been there and conquered this.

How did you do this?

Replies

• Amalthea8284
    Amalthea8284 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I like to pay a *ahem* piss tax. Choose an exercise, say squats or push-ups and do them until you are exhausted every time you visit the toilet. I rotate several exercises throughout the day. You could even do them for diaper changes! It only takes a few minutes each time, but it adds up!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know these are all excuses but looking for some good motivational people that can give advice. I know many of you have been there and conquered this.

How did you do this?

I didn't. We didn't.

There's a season for everything - right now, while your child is that young, it's ok to accept that your priorities must lie elsewhere. If you can find the time, that's great, but don't beat yourself up if you can't.

It's cool.

That said, it isn't an excuse for over-eating. :wink:
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Consider Leslie Sansone walking programs (several on you tube for free viewing---most DVD's $10). You can do as little as 1 mile in 15 minutes in your home so could do while / when baby is happy in swing or just laid down for nap. Just find something little and flexible that you don't hate and build it in.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Focus on your eating, go for walks when you can. You can walk or jog in any weather.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do all your exercise at one time. Can you take 10 minutes at the start of your day to do some yoga or planks. I work at a desk all day and I seriously do stretches and squats while I'm on the phone and have even done some desk push ups. It may sound crazy, but you can easily fit in 5 minute exercises throughout your day. Shoot for 10 minutes each day, then slowly increase until you can squeeze in 30 minutes. You might just surprise yourself.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I like to pay a *ahem* piss tax. Choose an exercise, say squats or push-ups and do them until you are exhausted every time you visit the toilet. I rotate several exercises throughout the day. You could even do them for diaper changes! It only takes a few minutes each time, but it adds up!

I picked up this very tip on this site!! It's so simple and reaps HUGE benefits!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup and make it fit. I spent the first 4 years of my kid's life making the same excuses. Don't let that be you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    7 minute workout app. Just bust your *kitten* in that time limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    If you don't have the time...or much time.

Try these two beachbody workout.

10 minute trainer or Focus T25

One is 10 min only...you can do 1-2-3 a day depending your schedule.
    The other one is 25 minute a day.

They are very effective and complete programs. By Tony Horton and Shaun T.
    Very very good stuff here....They are very short on time and requires almost nothing.

They are available at Beachbody.com

Just saying....
  • Lorelai23
    Lorelai23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    These are great ideas. I will definitely be checking into the app and those two programs.

The tax idea is great. I have never thought about incorporating exercise in that way.

MB_Positif you are absolutely right!

Thanks for the tips and ideas.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Put on some fun music and dance like no one (except your baby) is watching ... I used to (still do, though now it's evolve to teaching them how to hoop dance, the girls at least) do this when babysitting my nieces and nephews ... They loved it, the music was entertaining for them and the would laugh and giggle and try to mimic me (my one nice was so cute, before she could walk, I would do this while she was sitting in her little bouncy whatever-it's-called thing, and she'd wave her arms and for all intents and purposes, rock out ...) ... My other niece, now 5, will dance EVERY time she hears music ... ADORABLE!
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I too work 12 hour days, 6 days a week.

I look at my exercises like an important meeting and I schedule them into my week. Bosses don't cancel!

It is alright to take "me" time for yourself. No one should EVER be mad at you for wanting to improve your health. If you want it to happen, it will.
  • rbcrawford1
    rbcrawford1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Babies make it tough because they bring a certain total exhaustion to the very act of living. I get it. I used to do Jillian Michaels DVDs after my son went to bed (his bedtime was/is 7pm). You can also do lunges and various plyometrics with your baby in an Ergo or stroller when you go on a walk. If you have access to a gym with a daycare, you can always hit it up on the weekends.

Similar to the pee tax, I have been known to do calf raises while brushing my teeth and bodyweight squats in the shower (if you have a good grip on your tiles or tub). You can also use your bathroom counter for modified pushups. Lean forward, catch yourself with your hands on the edge, lower yourself to the counter, push up very fast and clap. Repeat. Do as many as you can here and there.

If you have room in the garage, pick up an olympic weight set off Craigslist and do compound lifts in the evening. Forty minutes is better than twenty minutes is better than no minutes.

Good luck! I spent years shortchanging myself because I was working long hours and spent all my off time managing the kids and house. When I looked at exercise as one more burden--and one I could cut out--it was hard to find time and energy to do it. Now I look at it as sweet precious me time.