Bad taste in my mouth...

Options
jjslag
jjslag Posts: 8 Member
I have been sticking between 1500 and 2000 calories a day, and losing about 1-2 pounds a week. Everything appears to be on track. When I am out of calories I stop eating, usually right after dinner. Here's the problem: I spend most night with a bad, kind of metallic, taste in my mouth. I am sure this is accompanied by bad breath. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    How metallic?
  • jjslag
    Options
    Funny - like chewing on dirty tinfoil
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Would you happen to be following a low carb or ketogenic diet?
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Would you happen to be following a low carb or ketogenic diet?

^^this could be the reason.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Doctor. It's possible this is related to an underlying medical condition...or you should stop eating metal.
  • jjslag
    Options
    Nope - eating everything I have always eaten, just less of it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    the only time I had that problem, turned out I was pregnant.

That's probably not what's happening with you.
  • jjslag
    Options
    i don't thing my OP of 20 minutes needs to be bumped
  • jjslag
    Options
    Oh, sh#t - I hope I'm not pregnant
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    i don't thing my OP of 20 minutes needs to be bumped

They are bumping so it shows up in their topics and can follow the thread.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Nope - eating everything I have always eaten, just less of it.

I got nothing then...sorry. I have never experienced it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    What's your carb/protein percentage? If you aren't getting enough carbs/too much protein, you could be going into ketosis, which is pretty harmful to your body, and typically produces bad breath.
  • FirecrackerJess
    FirecrackerJess Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into possibly being anemic. I heard the metallic taste in a mouth, sometimes is due to being anemic.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Are you by chance taking an Rx like Topamax?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Oh, sh#t - I hope I'm not pregnant

Probably this. Seriously though, like someone said, it could be a medical condition. See your doc. Also, some medications can cause this. Have you started something new, prescription, supplements, or regular over the counter?
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get that from antibiotics. When that happens, I eat with plastic (vs metal) and put a little bit of fresh lemon juice in my water.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of reasons you may have a metallic taste that aren't related to pregnancy or your sense of smell. Antibiotics and anti-thyroid and neurological drugs are just a few of the medications that may cause dysgeusia. People undergoing chemotherapy and radiation -- as well as those recovering from surgeries where anesthesia was used -- also may report experiencing a metallic taste both during and after treatment. Those suffering from head and neck cancers and other various medical conditions, like Bell's palsy, Parkinson's disease, diabetes and gastroesophageal reflux disease, may also have a persistent metallic taste as a side effect [source: Danoff].Unhealthy practices like smoking or having poor dental hygiene can also cause a foul metallic taste. Oral infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis often cause gums to bleed. The iron that is released as blood breaks down in the mouth can leave a strong metal taste behind. To prevent this from happening, combat dental disease and bacteria by scraping your tongue, brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing regularly.Dysgeusia can also be caused by a vitamin or mineral deficiency, like B-12 or zinc, or an overdose of a particular nutrient, dietary supplement or a food containing potentially toxic ingredients. An overdose of selenium -- a mineral found in seafood, lean red meat and Brazil nuts -- can cause a metallic taste. Excessive zinc consumption could also produce this condition as a side effect [source: Srilakshmi].Perhaps the most serious cause of a metallic taste is clupeotoxin poisoning. This potentially fatal condition occurs after consuming plankton-eating fish such as sardines, herring, tarpons or bonefish contaminated with the toxin. This poison can not only cause one's mouth to taste like metal, but the victim can become violently ill, and approximately 50 percent of cases of clupeotoxin poisoning result in death. Besides dysgeusia, symptoms can include blue-tinged fingers, toes, nose and lips, vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness, abdominal pain and a drop in blood pressure [sources: Hui, WebMD].
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,631 Member
    Options
    If this just started, then I really recommend going to the doctor and having it checked. There are so many underlying causes. From allergies, to bad/old fillings to pregnancy and different meds. Please go get it checked out!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    have you recently had a "grill" installed?

dailycaller.com_.jpg