unable to do weight+reps I was doing 2/3 weeks ago.

Options
2»

Replies

• sewwy
    sewwy Posts: 21
    Options
    And again, take a step back, and realize that she is saying she plateued at a whopping 5kg.

Read some of my replies. Maybe you'll realise that I was miscalculating with the plates.

If I had the capacity to edit my starting post, I would.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    You need to get on a proper lifting program. A well trained cat can lift 5kg.
  • sewwy
    Options
    ARe you going by the numbers on the plates? On the machines at my gym, each plate is numbered 1-15, but each plate is 5 kgs, not 1 kg. So "3"= 15 kgs.

Yeah, I am. So, yeah, if I'm on the '5' plate, I guess I'm doing 25kg instead. (Heh, gym newbie, obviously.)

Quoting because, evidently, nobody can read, and MFP won't let me edit my original post.
  • candiceh3
    Options

The OP corrected what was obviously an error in calculating the weight. Perhaps you should read the thread before replying ;) I hear it helps with comprehension.
  • sewwy
    Options

The OP corrected what was obviously an error in calculating the weight. Perhaps you should read the thread before replying ;) I hear it helps with comprehension.

Thanks, Candice. :)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters about changing your routine to move away from the machines and more towards free weights and incorporating a recommended program like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. In addition to making sure you're getting adequate nutrition, consider adding a "deload" week every fourth week or so. During deload, you decrease the amount of weight lifted by about 40-50% while keeping the reps the same. It's basically a light week to allow your muscles to repair and take some of the strain of training off your body. This technique works well for me. Good luck!
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Even 25kg is too light to be plateuing on most lifts for a healthy woman, except maybe ohp or curls.

Also, the 0.8 g protein/lb thumbrule is for pounds of lean body mass, not total weight.
  • sewwy
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters about changing your routine to move away from the machines and more towards free weights and incorporating a recommended program like Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. In addition to making sure you're getting adequate nutrition, consider adding a "deload" week every fourth week or so. During deload, you decrease the amount of weight lifted by about 40-50% while keeping the reps the same. It's basically a light week to allow your muscles to repair and take some of the strain of training off your body. This technique works well for me. Good luck!

Sounds good, thanks :)
    Even 25kg is too light to be plateuing on most lifts for a healthy woman, except maybe ohp or curls.

Also, the 0.8 g protein/lb thumbrule is for pounds of lean body mass, not total weight.

Everyone starts somewhere. Moreso, if you'd actually read the thread, there seems to be a valid reason for my plateau.

If you haven't got anything useful to contribute, bugger off. :)
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Calm down. If you are hitting a wall @ ~50 lbs then something is wrong with your methodology. I wasn't making fun of you for only lifting 10 or 50 lbs, I was saying you should still be progressing fairly linearly with proper routine.

Post your routine and people can help in more detail. Other than that, all we can tell you is to change your routine to something more effective.