What to do...

Options
Hello Everyone, Welp let's just get down to business... I'm a Marine, and as many know we have very strict height/weight standards...

I'm 5'10" and I used to weigh 240lbs before joining. Before I went to boot camp in 2012 I got down to 200lbs in 9 months. While In boot camp I got down to 185 losing another 15lbs. So In a matter of about a year I lost a total of 55lbs.

The issue is that for my height my max weight is 192, and the 185 out of boot camp was not healthy, my body trimmed down because of the stress and constant strain. Since I've been out of boot camp my weight has been hovering in the 190-195 range.

I'm still fairly fit, I can do 19pull ups and 100 crunches in 2 min and I can run 3 miles in about 23min 45s, but I'm constantly fearing that I may get put on the Basic Conditioning Program because of my weight.

I don't have a huge neck so I've been told that chances are I wouldn't make a BMI tape, but I find that a BMI is very inaccurate.

I run every day either for 40min at a 5mph pace or I do 3 miles for time to change it up.

I'm debating adding a weight vest to increase resistance because running alone doesn't seem to be helping. I'm specifically staying away from lifting weights because I don't want to add MORE weight.

Replies

• menatschin
    Options
    The only way I can figure out for you to meet the "military appearance program" standards is to increase your neck size and decrease your waist. Lower carbs as much as possible, keep refined sugars out, and start weight training. Don't know when your weight was last check and if you will be subject to any inspections other than the bi annual ones where you are posted, so you should have some time for the training to take effect. Take it easy with neck training. In my experience the neck responds really well to training. Good luck!
  • ripstrong
    ripstrong Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    BMI is pretty terrible for non-standard body types. Weightlifters are considered morbidly obese because muscle weighs significantly more than fat, and so the same applies to you. Your fitness is a result of much greater than normal muscle mass and so "losing weight" isn't really the issue. If you look up the guidelines more fully you should see you have nothing to worry about as long as you stay in condition and maintain your other stats.

"The Marine is weighed, and the weight compared to the below chart. Only if the Marine exceeds the allowable weight on the chart, they are measured for body-fat. If they exceed the body-fat allowance, then the Marine is enrolled in the Body Composition Program - formerlly known as the "Weight Control Program." If the Marine is over the weight on the chart, but meets the body-fat standard, they are considered to be within the required standards, and no further action is taken. "

- http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marines/a/weightmale.htm
  • Judeeschete
    Judeeschete Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's something you really hit the nail on the head with. That used to be a big issue with me.
  • Judeeschete
    Options
    Any Ideas on good "neck building" workouts?
  • ripstrong
    ripstrong Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My point was that you don't NEED to work on your BMI at all. The Marines aren't going to penalize you for being much fitter than the basic requirements, even if that puts you as overweight. From the stats for the biannal test, you'd score 90pts for pullups, 100 for crunches and 65 for the run, which puts you at 245, which is more than a 1st class for a 17 -24 year old. Well done!

The bit about "body-fat test after the weigh-in" means that they'll use skin callipers or maybe even a more accurate measurement to take the percentage of your body that is actually fat. It doesn't depend on your neck size or anything, it's JUST about your fitness. Developing your neck size is actually not great for someone like you, I mean, when do you use neck muscle? Just work on your run times if you really want to do anything but what I'd suggest is this:

Go out and buy a skin-fat calliper, or look into the body-fat part of the test. Ask a Marine physician or a friend in the Marines about the fat limit required. I think if you're able to do 19 pullups and a ~34 min run, you'll be well under the limit.

I repeat: You don't have anything to worry about.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Nothing to say, just going to perv at your pics sorry. Hello from down under. :bigsmile:
  • Judeeschete
    Options
    Sounds good, I guess at this point it's just controlling portions and to just keep running lol
  • menatschin
    Options
    Any Ideas on good "neck building" workouts?

Get yourself a neck harness off eBay and some small weights and progressively get it stronger. Most people forget about training the neck. I am lucky I played a lot I contact sports when I was younger and it was always emphasise for safety. After a while you can try the neck bridge exercises once you get your neck strong.