Weight gain after exercise

Options
I am on 1270 cals per day and swim half a mile in 45 mins 3-4 times per week. After exercise I find that my weight goes up by a pound or 2. this is really frustrating as I am really trying to lose weight as well as get fit. I have 42lbs to lose (I am 5ft5 and 204lbs) and have lost 6 so far. I drink plenty of water and on the days I exercise I allow myself more calories but never more than my allowance plus the exercise (I count 30 mins swimming). Has anyone else had this problem - I do feel better and my clothes fit so much better already .

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Normal....water retention along with normal body weight fluctuation.

My weight can swing 6-7lbs daily, especially after lifting.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to lose the 6 lb? Why do you weigh yourself after exercising?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why people often recommend weighing yourself once a week only, first thing in the morning after you visit the bathroom. There are so many reasons that our bodies fluctuate and they're all perfectly natural and unpredictable. Sodium, exercise, stress, hormones, dehydration, constipation, so many things affect the weight on the scale. Focus on how you look, how you feel, how your clothes fit, and try not to stress about the numbers.
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    thank you guys - I have weighed every day for years - it keeps me on track, when I weigh I don't gain... it has taken me 5 weeks to lose 6lbs. when I upped the exercise I stopped losing. I wont be disheartened and will continue on my program, I just wondered if anyone else had had the same problem!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You muscles are inflamed from new exercise...it's just water...it's normal
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I am on 1270 cals per day and swim half a mile in 45 mins 3-4 times per week. After exercise I find that my weight goes up by a pound or 2. this is really frustrating as I am really trying to lose weight as well as get fit. I have 42lbs to lose (I am 5ft5 and 204lbs) and have lost 6 so far. I drink plenty of water and on the days I exercise I allow myself more calories but never more than my allowance plus the exercise (I count 30 mins swimming). Has anyone else had this problem - I do feel better and my clothes fit so much better already .
    Could it be possible that your body absorbs some of that water during your swim? Also, I'm sure you drink water during your workout so there you have it
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i weigh everyday in the mornings. and for fun i'll sometimes weigh then go potty then weigh again. the weight fluctuation is amazing. lol
  • juliapeter47
    juliapeter47 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This is precisely why individuals regularly suggest weighing yourself once a week just, first thing in the morning after you visit the washroom. There are such a large number of explanations that our forms change and they're all impeccably characteristic and unusual. Sodium, work out, anxiety, hormones, lack of hydration, stoppage, such a variety of things influence the weight on the scale.
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    It's funny, I seem to be so in tune with my body that I will weigh everyday and know exactly what the scales will say before it registers and I'm rarely wrong... I get that you retain water when you exercise but there were a few days when said water just wouldn't shift away and I got a little worried. Happy to note a 2lb loss this week though despite glass or two of bubbly to welcome my friends twins into the world....thanks for your support ????
  • DaveP_Fit
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself so often
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    I know, I know. It is a habit hard to break - step 1 is I have put the scales in the office downstairs!!! ;)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Don't put so much value in what the scale says, since it is obvious that your body composition is changing.

The picture on the left is in 2009 or 2010. I'm not 100% sure what I weighed, but I know it was 188-199lbs. I wore a size 16/18 pants, and a 42DD bra. The picture on the right was taken in August. I weigh 192lbs, and I wear a size 14 pants and a 38C bra.

10035269906_47277afec6.jpg
    Untitled by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

these pics were taken just the other day. Still 192lbs...
    10857455026_4d003227d4.jpg
    #fitspo #hardworkwins #nevergiveup #notacardiobunny by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
    10861448183_785538b1a7.jpg
    #yesisquat # musclemama by crochetmom2010, on Flickr
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    looking good there Sarah - Your legs look fab - what exercise do you do?

My main problem is that the last diet I did in earnest was Cambridge - like lighter life - and I lost 42lbs in about 4 months so could see the scales going down on a daily basis. It took my dad passing away for me to put the weight back on and after all that I am finally back in the zone although I couldn't face another shake or not exercising (you cant on 500 cals a day) which has led me to My fitness pal...

I am happier eating what I want and not losing the plot with one night off - so long as I keep to my weekly calories (incl exercise) - It is definitely the way to go!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    looking good there Sarah - Your legs look fab - what exercise do you do?

My main problem is that the last diet I did in earnest was Cambridge - like lighter life - and I lost 42lbs in about 4 months so could see the scales going down on a daily basis. It took my dad passing away for me to put the weight back on and after all that I am finally back in the zone although I couldn't face another shake or not exercising (you cant on 500 cals a day) which has led me to My fitness pal...

I am happier eating what I want and not losing the plot with one night off - so long as I keep to my weekly calories (incl exercise) - It is definitely the way to go!

I do incline treadmill work, I barbell squat, I leg press...

I tried atkins, and I did well for several months ( like 20lbs over 3 months), then the scale stopped moving :( ...I have only lost about 6lbs in the last YEAR