easy healthy recipes??

Options
HI I just moved off-campus so no more greasy cafeteria food for me! (yay!) I was thinking that I would cook healthy things BUT I forgot the minor detail that I don't know how to cook. Does anyone have any easy, yummy healthy recipes to share?

Replies

• tinawharrison
    Options
    Vegetable soup is easy, shove it all in a pan with some stock and then blend it, no fat, hardly any calories and very satisfying in the cold winter months :)
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    i like salmon patties! do you have a costco near you?

you can grill them up, add some reduced fat cheese, onion, yellow mustard, on a 100 cal bun and you have yourself a GREAT, low cal, super easy meal :)
  • missspacecadet
    Options
    I like to make oatmeal pancakes. I take about a cup of quaker oats, 2 egg whites, and about 2 cups of water. Then I blend it with a beater, you can add more water or oats to get a consistency you like. These are very filling. Adding some fruit to the mix wouldn't be bad either.
  • maurap26
    maurap26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    the oatmeal pancakes sound easy & good
    I'll have to try them soon
    thanks
  • shezarednek
    Options
    I like to make oatmeal pancakes. I take about a cup of quaker oats, 2 egg whites, and about 2 cups of water. Then I blend it with a beater, you can add more water or oats to get a consistency you like. These are very filling. Adding some fruit to the mix wouldn't be bad either.

This sounds really yummy!
  • missspacecadet
    Options
    You can also go to www.delish.com, they have a lot of good recipes. But, you may find that you can make these even better. For example egg whites are only about 13 cals each, and with the yolk I believe it jumps up to around 100 cals. Omitting certain calorie dense ingredients will save you some pounds, better yet, now that you're on your own, just don't buy the tempting stuff. If you don't have it, you'll be a lot less likely to binge.

Surround yourself with veggies. Steam them, or boil them in water until tender. The broth is also really good (with no butter/oil, of course) Add some cilantro for a little kick, spicy foods are suppose to suppress appetite along with vinegar. But if you're like me and have Acid Reflux Disease, you can't have any of that unless you want your stomach burning for hours. The more you get used to healthy eating, the more you don't want the bad stuff. Butter is gross to me now, it feels so slimy and wrong in my mouth. My mom covers everything in butter. Bleh ><
  • missspacecadet
    Options
    Also! I use a little popcorn seasoning on my veggies sometimes, I think it only adds about 3 calories per serving, its like butter without the fat. But it has salt, so use in moderation. :)
  • hannah723
    hannah723 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    okay! Thanks for all the tips!! :)
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Grill up some turkey burgers, reduced fat cheese on an oroweat/arnold sandwich thin. That and a salad! Roast a half turkey breast (rub with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic) on 325 for about 1 1/2 hrs. Great sliced for dinner and leftovers for sandwiches, salads, soup. Steamed veggies - add a chopped garlic clove for flavor. I love a nice white fish (like halibut) tossed with reduced cal salad dressing and sprinkled with panko bread crumbs, bake for 30 mins. There are tons of easy recipes online. Just Google what you like and pick an easy one.
  • cmlewis86
    cmlewis86 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Buy some shake n bake extra crispy. Follow the recipe on the back...boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1 cup bbq sauce, and shake n bake. Sooo good and easy too.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Get a small George Foreman grill, and have at it. We cook all sorts of things on ours, including "naughty" foods like bacon and sausage. It's amazing how much grease you can get rid of by not cooking them in their own juices. (Though you do have to have patience to cook bacon on a Foreman grill.)

Anyway, we do little chicken breasts with some spices on the grill, along with steaming some frozen veggies in the microwave. You can buy the steampack vegetables, but getting a big bag is usually more cost effective. Just put them in a glass container with a small amount of water, cover with a lid, and that works too.