Diet drinks advice..

Options

Replies

• tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

More scientific research stating 75% of all people have adverse reactions. Hmm guess the other 35%. Is okay to drink.

fF2KUXJ.gif
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    No my doctor couldn't believe the diagnosis because I was diagnosed at age 5 in 1983 after having an EKG and cat scan that clearly indicated that I was epileptic. At that time donahu had a show on stating that 1 in 10 children was having reactions to nutra sweet. My dad happen a crossed it and realize that he was giving me nutra sweet in the form of coolaid. My pediatrician said it couldn't be and sent he for another EKG and cat scan which then confirmed I did not have epilepsy. It was at that time that the neurologist confirmed it was the nutra sweet. My rest of the family has had some form of reaction to it. I have known other people not related to me that had migraines and memory loss from it. My husband which knows the dangers has issues with it, So don't tell me that I don't have the documentation to back it. Snopes will say anything as long as it sided for the government who is behind this. You wanted documentation I gave you the first 4 out of 1000's. You research it, the reason he had trouble believing it is because my problems started with the introduction into drinks which if you read the research was two years after it was approved. I believe. There were no real scientific evidence being brought to light at that time so nothing for my physicians to go on. There have been many studies since the. That showed all this information not by just mercola but by others,
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Avoiding soda (diet or regular) is a generally good idea. Over the years, I've really scaled back my soda consumption.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hi there! To answer your question-yes, diet drinks/sodas can slow down progress. In order to lose weight, you've got to cut down on sodas and sugar because these two cause bloating and will cause weight fluctuations. Even though the label says 'sugar free', it's still laden with artificial sugar. The best drink is water! :smile:

sorry but this is wrong...

yes, if you over eat on sugar you will gain weight.

if you eat in a calorie deficit and eat sugar you will lose weight..

calories in, calories out...
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.

You should. I am severely allergic and intolerant to the evil stuff. It is cancer causing and causes me the have seizures. I have to check everything for nutra sweet/aspartame!
    I'm severely allergic to capsaicin (anything spicy, basically). Just because it's bad FOR ME doesn't mean it's bad FOR EVERYONE.

I drink diet soda a few times a week and I think my weight loss speaks for itself. Zero calories means it cannot physically make you gain any weight.

I think where it CAN sabotage people is if you're the kind of person who does mental "trade-offs." Statistically many people tend to underestimate how many calories they're consuming and overestimate how many they're saving. Like if you are the kind of person to say "I was 'good' and had a diet soda instead of a regular soda for lunch... so it's okay for me to have an extra slice of chocolate cake for dinner." I see people at McDonald's getting a super-sized meal with a large Diet Coke all the time, I'm sure they think they're trading off, too. But since weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit from the number of calories you consume, if you play these kinds of mental bargaining games with yourself with diet soda, then it's possible you can overdo it with some other food. I hope that makes sense!
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Okay. I've taken to much time to try to show you why it's so bad for you. It's up to you to research it and find out if you are one of the very lucky 25% percent of people who can drink this. (Math was off in a previous post. ). But you have to willing enough to test what the FDA and these food companies tell you is okay. 10 years ago mono sodium glutinates where okay. Now they are bad. Now it's gmo's. You find the truth and go for it. I personally just want to be healthy.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options

More scientific research stating 75% of all people have adverse reactions. Hmm guess the other 35%. Is okay to drink.

fF2KUXJ.gif

Oops math was off. That should be 25%. Not 35%.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.

You should. I am severely allergic and intolerant to the evil stuff. It is cancer causing and causes me the have seizures. I have to check everything for nutra sweet/aspartame!
    I'm severely allergic to capsaicin (anything spicy, basically). Just because it's bad FOR ME doesn't mean it's bad FOR EVERYONE.

I drink diet soda a few times a week and I think my weight loss speaks for itself. Zero calories means it cannot physically make you gain any weight.

I think where it CAN sabotage people is if you're the kind of person who does mental "trade-offs." Statistically many people tend to underestimate how many calories they're consuming and overestimate how many they're saving. Like if you are the kind of person to say "I was 'good' and had a diet soda instead of a regular soda for lunch... so it's okay for me to have an extra slice of chocolate cake for dinner." I see people at McDonald's getting a super-sized meal with a large Diet Coke all the time, I'm sure they think they're trading off, too. But since weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit from the number of calories you consume, if you play these kinds of mental bargaining games with yourself with diet soda, then it's possible you can overdo it with some other food. I hope that makes sense!

Yeah I don't go to mcdonalds either. I don't eat anything they make. Yuck! Chicken isn't even real.
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I love my diet soda. Love it. No calories.

People on here (and everywhere) will argue until the ends of the earth about the aspartame in it, but it's your decision. I love a guilt free drink when I am low on calories.

FYI, I'm an EMT and we have never been dispatched to an aspartame overdose. Just sayin.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options

Yeah I don't go to mcdonalds either. I don't eat anything they make. Yuck! Chicken isn't even real.

And I'm not trying to sabotage anyone which is why i said y'all should test it. Are you opposed to testing when it could be bad for you. If you were sick and they said let's test and see what's causing it then you would not oppose that so why not do your own test just to see. It is on the 7 high intolerance foods list.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    I love my diet soda. Love it. No calories.

People on here (and everywhere) will argue until the ends of the earth about the aspartame in it, but it's your decision. I love a guilt free drink when I am low on calories.

FYI, I'm an EMT and we have never been dispatched to an aspartame overdose. Just sayin.

Okay back to the beginning it's not an overdose. It's an allergy/intolerance. If I had a diet soda then I would have a seizure and you would be dispatched. I would be taken to the hospital for unkien seizure or convulsion and they would never suspect it was nutra sweet till I told the. Not an overdose.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    He we go again...I am drinking a glass of crystal clear pure mountain spring water and eating a pack of gummy bears. OR I am drinking a soda. What is the difference? Nothing.
  • habiti14
    habiti14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a diet soda LOVER as well! Granted we know that sugary drinks are not good for us, but diet soda can as well stunt your progress in weight loss- this goes for all artificial sweeteners.
    I didn't read through all of the replies here... but the fact is when you intake artificial sugar (calorie free) you send your brain signals that you are intaking something sweet and nutrient rich! So our body gears up and secretes all of these enzymes to break down those sugars and when they get there they realize- "HEY! Where is the SUGAR mannnnn???" Diet sodas have been shown to increase hunger for this reason and you may eat more... and when you are trying to lose weight that is not something you exactly want!

Not to mention soda is no bueno for your teeth and tummy... increased phosphoric acid! So of course exactly what you don't want to hear- Water my friend. This is the best thing to drink when you are trying to lose weight and plenty of it!
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    even carbonate water was bad for weight loss ?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    There is evidence in rats that high intensity artificial sweeteners induce weight gain. There are other mitigating factors, but for me, after reading this study, I would avoid using artificial sweeteners (I do anyway, because they don't agree with me).

Adverse effects of high-intensity sweeteners on energy intake and weight control in male and obesity-prone female rats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23398432
    Unfortunately studies on rats don't seem to have the same results in humans.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Not at all true. And at the very least, it is worth taking into consideration.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Do you have phenylketonuria? Aspartame is an amino acid that can build up in people who lack the enzymes to digest it. Other than that, unless you consume HUGE quantities of it, it doesn't cause problems unless you have phenylketonuria.

ETA: Things sweetened with aspartame always have a warning label on them for phenylketonurics to avoid ingesting.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Hi there! To answer your question-yes, diet drinks/sodas can slow down progress. In order to lose weight, you've got to cut down on sodas and sugar because these two cause bloating and will cause weight fluctuations. Even though the label says 'sugar free', it's still laden with artificial sugar. The best drink is water! :smile:

^^^ This .. I don't think that pop of any form is good for you. You are better off to do what I did .. and just stop drinking it totally. I hve no regrets and don't miss it in the least. Water is the best form of drink. But if you must drink pop .. diet is probably the better of all evils.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has no sugar or calories and will not actually effect true weight loss. The sodium in diet drinks could cause some water retention.

True. You might get some insulin response from artificial sweeteners, but if you take in less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.

I lost about 60lbs in about 8 months while drinking probably 2 liters of diet coke and a couple cans of Rockstar Zero Carb per day.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Poster1: "I eat nuts everyday and I've lost weight just fine"
    Poster2: "IF I EAT NUTS I DIE"

Sounds legit
  • KathieSwenson
    Options

Do you have phenylketonuria? Aspartame is an amino acid that can build up in people who lack the enzymes to digest it. Other than that, unless you consume HUGE quantities of it, it doesn't cause problems unless you have phenylketonuria.

ETA: Things sweetened with aspartame always have a warning label on them for phenylketonurics to avoid ingesting.

Honestly I don't know. I talked to my allergist about back in March and was not at all surprised he said that it's with the proteins that the ingredients break Down into but that's all I got out of him. I would be thrilled to be approached for testing on it but I research it daily and there hasn't been any research panels since around 2011. I've been doing research on this stuff since I was 18. All of my medical documents come from when I was 5 and they just started seeing a problem with it and my neurologist with the help of my dad determined it was the nutrasweet. I have been a big advocate for the dangers of it for a very long time. Longer than doctor who posted the links that I posted earlier. It's not a fun thing to go through as a child not knowing why you just face planted into a concrete garage floor and woke up still reaching and struggling for your grandmother who was standing beside you seconds later and not knowing what caused it let alone going through the massive tests for it. I would not be opposed to doing them again as long as I'm in a controlled environment in a hospital hooked up to machines with drs standing present so that they can give me dilatin to bring me out if I seize for to long. But gotta find that study first!