Help! What side dish should I bring to Thanksgiving?

Options
AwesomeSquirrel
AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
Hi all,
European here, just got invited to an American friend's casual Thanksgiving party next week. She will serve copious amounts of turkey and pumpkin pie and "other classics" (?) and has requested that guests bring a side dish of their choice. I have no idea what to bring - please help me!! Below are my thoughts:

1. Preferably vegetarian. While there will be carnivores there a lot of guests are likely to be either vegetarian of pescetarian so it would be nice to make something that anyone can eat. Besides, vegetables are always good.

2. Something that can be served cold/room temperature perhaps? I will have to walk across town so I won't be able to keep it hot on my way and I'm guessing the hostess' oven will be crowded.

3. Healthy-ish? I don't mind splurging the calories for a party but I'm not searching for butter and cream galore here.

One thought I had was to bake some sort of tear&share bread such as a fougasse. Would bread be an acceptable addition? Is there a place for bread with a Thanksgiving meal?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Cranberry sauce or green beans.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My dad always makes a dill bread that everyone RAVES about.
    I don't have his recipe per say, but there's a ton of 'em online.

Here's a few:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/dill-bread
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cottage-dill-bread/
    http://southernfood.about.com/od/yeastbreads/r/blbb204.htm

The ingredients for each are very similar.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    A salad of roast or grilled vegetables.
  • nikki_dw
    nikki_dw Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You could always take a big fall salad with spinach, cranberries, walnuts, etc. Green been casserole is an American classic that can be pretty unhealthy, but if you pay attention to the ingredients you can turn it around! I suggest this recipe: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/11/12/recipe-green-bean-casserole-french-fried-onions/

As for those classics you questioned, expect turkey, pumpkin pie, mac and cheese, bread, cranberry sauce and lots of yummy calorie-high foods.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    Options
    A salad of roast or grilled vegetables.

Would that type of salad be served hot or cold? Sorry if that's a daft question, I've never made a salad with cooked ingredients!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Green Bean casserole with fried onions. Americans love it for Thanksgiving, and it is extremely simple to make.
  • lightinfl
    lightinfl Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of a spinach dip made with lowfat cream cheese stuffed in the center of that bread- save the bread you removed from the center for people to use to eat with the dip :) Yumm...
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    green bean casserole!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Any kind of easy-to-pick-up appetizer would work well. One full of veggies or fruit would make people grab it to make them feel they are doing something healthy on this traditional overeating holiday. I like to buy a side of sliced salmon, snip chives over the top, and have a tray of healthy crackers and a little bowl of light sour cream on the side.

You could also bring orange juice and (a couple of bottles of chilled) champagne with a couple of sliced oranges and those plastic champagne flutes... get there and voila; you set up a mimosa bar. I've done that at many gatherings and it is always a hit!

I would be most inclined to bring an autumn soup (though heavy to carry, and would require the stovetop -- which is usually not too crowded at Thanksgiving since most things are cooked in the oven) like a butternut squash soup or pumpkin soup... these are great starters to eat before the meal, are lowfat and vegetarian, and would also fill you up so you don't eat so much of the other stuff on the table. You could carry it over in an insulated grocery bag, then pop it onto the stovetop for a couple of minutes before putting onto the table. Ring ahead to see if your host has a soup tureen, which would make it look especially lovely at the table.

Someone else will likely bring cranberry sauce and the usual side dishes (potatoes, green beans), but I doubt anyone else will think to bring an autumn soup.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    Options
    I was thinking of a spinach dip made with lowfat cream cheese stuffed in the center of that bread- save the bread you removed from the center for people to use to eat with the dip :) Yumm...

I like this idea - never thought of having dip with my bread (I very rarely it bread and when I do it tends to be sandwiches) but that would make it more party friendly, wouldn't it!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If your friend is already making the classics, then perhaps a favorite side dish from a holiday that your family back home celebrates? Would make a nice interesting story to share with the other guests. At it's origin, Thanksgiving is a harvest festival, in case that gives you any ideas.
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you eat shrimp, shrimp rings with cocktail sauce go over really well when I take them places.

I liked the bread bowl, spinach dip idea. That is a good appetizer also. Deviled eggs are popular.

Sometimes a veggie tray and dip ends up being very popular. and if you prep the veggies yourself it is much cheaper than buying one pre-made.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Haggis
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How about mini quiches? You can put whatever you want in them, they are easy to carry and they can be served warm or cold. Little mini quiche Lorraine are usually liked by everyone. You can also make them healthier by using low fat milk instead of cream and putting more veggies in them. If you buy the mini pastry shells, they are a snap to make.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Our family makes fresh cranberry salad instead of the gross jiggly stuff from a can. It's really easy & delicious, especially if you have a food processor!

Place 2 bags of fresh cranberries into a food processor & chop into small pieces (don't mash or process too long). Dump into a large bowl, then process a whole orange, peel & all, and add to the bowl. Add a large can of pineapple tidbits that have been well drained. Add a good helping of chopped pecans or walnuts, & stir everything together with a large spoon. Finally add sugar to desired sweetness or tartness. We usually serve in individual cups topped with a large blob of whipped cream, although this year, I think I will forgo the whipped cream to be healthier. It's light, fresh & delicious! You'll never eat that canned stuff again!

Oh, and the leftovers are good for a making turkey panini! Use 2 slices of a good quality crusty bread, spray outside of bread with Pam Cooking Spray, spread cranberry salad on the inside of one or both pieces of bread, add sliced roasted turkey & Havarti cheese. Cook on a panini press until golden brown & cheese is melted. Delicious use of leftovers!!!
  • icpathua
    icpathua Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A Waldorf Salad! They're light, refreshing, and sweet! And add such beautiful color to the table. Typically, they have apples, walnuts, celery, lettuce + mayo, but there are sooo many variations. And the best part it: no cooking required!

In my family, we skip the celery + add seedless red/green grapes. Instead of using mayo, try light mayo or sour cream. Add honey or yogurt! Some people add red onions + cheese + dried fruit; you can totally make it your own!

Here are a few lovely looking recipes. Do Google Waldorf Salad + see what else you find! Best of luck! And enjoy!

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/

http://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/waldorf-salad-2/

http://www.learninghowtocook.com/recipe/752-Waldorf-Salad.html

http://www.urbansacredgarden.com/2012/02/23/lemony-waldorf-salad-me/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/waldorf-salad-recipe2/index.html
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You could always take a big fall salad with spinach, cranberries, walnuts, etc. Green been casserole is an American classic that can be pretty unhealthy, but if you pay attention to the ingredients you can turn it around! I suggest this recipe: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/11/12/recipe-green-bean-casserole-french-fried-onions/

As for those classics you questioned, expect turkey, pumpkin pie, mac and cheese, bread, cranberry sauce and lots of yummy calorie-high foods.
    I would go with a big salad also - a nice mix of lettuces/greens, topped with a little bit of fruit (like figs or pear or dried apricots), and /or a nice blue cheese. have the dressing in a separate jar (olive oil, mustard, vinegar, a little honey). the food at thansgiving tends to be heavy and delicous and there is so much of it that everyone eats too much. this way, you'll be sure to have at least one thing that is healthy.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    we always do a big antipasto first (the italian thing..) so if you like dips/bread I do a great one with feta cheese, garlic, olive oil and dill... smooshed in a food processor and some chunked garlic tossed in later for texturelllland big hunks of italian bread.

I think for my contribution this year I'm taking a mango pineapple chutney for something different.. good cold.

mango chutney with banana and jerk seasoning
    Makes 4 cups per recipe

1/2 cup Golden Raisins 1&1/2 cups peeled, diced mango (underripe, not yellow)
    1/2 cup choppped Onion 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar 1 tbsp Pickapeppa sauce
    3/4 cup cider or wine vinegar 1 tsp peeled, minced ginger root
    1 tbsp jerk seasoning 1 ripe banana diced
    Juice and rind of 1 lime or lemon 1/4 cup water
    Soak raisins in hot water for 30 minutes to plump.
    In non-aluminum saucepan, bring the 1/4 cup water, sugar, only and vinegar to a boil.
    Add the Jerk Seasoning, lime juice and rind, mango, hot sauce, Pickapeppa sauce and giner.
    Reduce head and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, or until the mixture thickens.
    Stir in the plumped raisins and banana.
    Cover and chill before serving.
    Will keep for 2 weeks in refrigerator.

about 200 calories per cup:
    OR ADD PINEAPPLE for not many more calories:
    Pineapple 1 cup 75 cal 19 0 1

OH and I'm ignoring the idea that it's an 'american' holiday. I guess I could research some more traditional fall chutneys.. apples and pears and stuff? but this is really YUMMY
  • empresskelly68
    empresskelly68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think your bread idea is a good one, especially if that's a specialty of yours. I too am from Europe and whenever I make something from my culture, people love it. Traditional holiday meal or not, other items are still welcome, especially if there are many hungry people. A nice fancy salad would be great too. I think if you take stuff like green bean casserole, yours will be one of many.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    This is probably completely unhealthy (each pie has roughly 5,500 calories) but hey, it's vegetarian! And it's a "classic"! Also I swear to you people request this every single year from me and has been passed down through 5 generations in my household. :)

Rain's Peanut Butter Pie (more like a pb cheesecake)
    Makes two pies.

Ingredients:
    2 graham cracker pie crusts (you can also make one of them the chocolate Oreo crusts)
    2 cups peanut butter
    2 cups sugar
    4 normal size containers of cool whip (preferably frozen!!!)
    2 blocks philadelphia cream cheese
    4 tablespoons vanilla extract

Combine the pb and sugar by hand in a mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. Do not try and mix this with a hand mixer or even a kitchen aid (it is too thick and will burn the motor out, trust me) . Add one block of creme cheese at a time and beat with a hand mixer or the whisk attachment of a stand up mixer until incorporated. Then one at a time mix in all four containers frozen cool whip until mixture is fluffy. Turn your mixer on high and add vanilla allowing one minute mixing time. Divide into two pie shells (these graham cracker crusts usually come pre made and with a plastic top) and pop in the freezer.

You can either eat this right out of the freezer for a firm but silky texture or allow to thaw for a few hours for a more soft texture. Feel free to drizzle with chocolate syrup.

Warning! I usually cut this pie into ten little slices (about 590 calories a tint slice) but this pie is SO rich I usually can't even finish one piece. ;)

Eta: btw I wouldnt try and make a real "side dish" for this occasion. Practically everyone makes the same things for thanksgiving; no reason to have 6 Mac and cheeses or candied yams (sweet potatoes and marshmallow fluff). Why not make something unique everyone will remember! These pies also stay good for months in the freezer; just pop it out whenever you need to get your fatassery on.