Running at a high weight?

Options
Hi everyone!

I've always dreamed of being a runner but never acted on it. I've been inspired lately by my little sister going to boot camp and her training beforehand. I don't want to wait anymore, I want to start running!

That being said, I'm 290 pounds (scary to write that out, I never do...). Despite my weight I'm active and don't really feel like I weigh as much as I do, it doesn't hold me back from doing things. I love to hike, walk, swim, etc. I've hiked 7-10 miles at a time and while it was hard, I didn't have any knee problems, etc. Despite my weight I'm pretty healthy - no diabetes, issues with feet, knees, or trouble doing daily activities.

Should I start running now or wait until I weigh less? I'd start out really slowly - mostly walking with a bit of running while I slowly add in more running.

Just looking for some opinions/experience. Thanks!

Replies

• SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think you should start with walking and see how that goes, if your knees start aching or you get any sort of pain, then its always better to take it easy and try again after you feel stronger. If your knees are okay then you can stay consistent with walking for a few weeks or as much as you prefer, then start jogging, keep at it, and then you can increase to running. But remember that your safety is important and you want to be careful when you run. If your feeling doubtful about something, its better to talk to your doctor =) You can do it!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I began the c25k program when I weighed about 290, maybe 280. No problems for me fortunately. I think I was about 260 when i entered (and finished) a 5k.
  • Lacey_Cakes
    Lacey_Cakes Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think it would be best just to start off slow then work up to running 1 minute at a time then slowly bump it up. Make sure to stretch and listen to your body! If you are sore take a couple days off. Good luck!!
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think if you're ready, you should go for it. Be sure to get good running shoes and insoles, if you need them. I started running at 250+ and it was tough. I learned quickly that I needed good shoes and went to a running store to get fitted properly. I used the NHS Couch to 5K podcast and that helped me get into the routine of running 3 times a week. I had to repeat weeks when I felt that I wasn't quite ready to move on, so it took me longer to be able to run that distance than the 9 weeks or so of that program. You do have to listen to your body when you start a new program like this, but the mental part of it can be even more challenging sometimes.
    Go for it and good luck!
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Runner's World has beginner's guidelines that start with walking:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/the-starting-line

One thing I can't emphasize enough: Get the right shoes. Speak with someone knowledgeable in foot gear for high-weight runners. The right (or wrong) shoes can make a tremendous difference.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I started with walking at a faster pace, and worked my way up to running in 1-2 minute spurts. I've been having some knee issues, so I've taken time off, but like others said, listen to your body. There's no magical weight that is better to begin running at.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I started working my way up to running when i was 252 lbs. I can honestly say it was hard but the rewards FAR outweigh the difficulties.

PLEASE start with walking. Not because you CAN'T run, but because you don't want to create knee problems by pushing too hard too fast. Walk as fast as you comfortably can, slowing down when you need to. THink of it as race walking intervals. Go as far as you would like, as far as you can, and keep building on the distance. I use MapMyFitness app on my smartphone and it tells me how far I've gone and my pace.

When you feel you've got a good interval set going, try moving your race walking intervals to jogging intervals. Do as many as you can, race walking when you don't feel you can jog. Eventually you'll get up to jogging all of the race walking intervals :bigsmile:

Then you can jog two sections of your intervals and walking one.. you get the idea - just build up :bigsmile:

At 208lbs, i am still a heavier runner and i'm slower than most, but i can do it and feel accomplished. You'll get there too - just build up :bigsmile: I am now an addict :wink:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I started running around 300 pounds. Just take it easy and start walking and add some short runs in.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I lost somewhere around 50 lbs before I started running. I finally found it in me to quit smoking. I've never been a runner, either. so when I started, I could only "run" 2 miles an hour. but I stuck with it, and after a few months, I was up to being able to run 5 miles in an hour. I pushed myself too hard, and there were quite a few injuries along the way, so I recommend going at your own pace. keep it fun, and best of luck! :)
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was never obese to begin with. I was 30 pounds overweight though. I still started with just walking. Eventually I felt like I wanted to jog/run so I began the C25K app and it was one of the best things I did. At first I thought that the intervals were too easy but soon enough I realized that there's a reason they do it that way. Because it does become more challenging. But because I had built up some endurance during those "easy" weeks it helped me push through those weeks that were far from easy. It's incredibly rewarding though.
  • miz_ppyn
    miz_ppyn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you think your ready to run you should do it, im over 300 pounds, and have just started to run im starting out slow walk, fast walk, then short bursts of running, no doubt its hard at first but it slowly gets easier. I started running for 10 sec then 15 n so forth i can finally go for a minute now, so go for it, give it all you got, and have fun. good luck.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I did couch to 5K when I was 253 and have never looked back. It is doable. Just make sure to take your time and start SLOW. Focus on distance rather than speed. Speed will come. Walk/jog may be a great place to start after you spend some time just walking to get your body used to moving.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Look up Couch to 5k. Aka C25K. You stsrt out walking and end up running. It's free and a great track to follow. Adjust it as you need but GO FOR IT!!!! (wiggles hips and shakes pompoms over head)
    :flowerforyou:
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    if you feel ready go for it. do like you said some walking and incorporate running. I did this last Friday. I never had a goal of running but as I was walking the track at my recreation center an older gentleman with oxygen passed and he started to jog and I thought to myself if he can do it I can do it. so I decided to try it. I jogged 1 lap. small steps turn into big steps.....

great job and good luck on your journey
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I've always dreamed of being a runner but never acted on it. I've been inspired lately by my little sister going to boot camp and her training beforehand. I don't want to wait anymore, I want to start running!

That being said, I'm 290 pounds (scary to write that out, I never do...). Despite my weight I'm active and don't really feel like I weigh as much as I do, it doesn't hold me back from doing things. I love to hike, walk, swim, etc. I've hiked 7-10 miles at a time and while it was hard, I didn't have any knee problems, etc. Despite my weight I'm pretty healthy - no diabetes, issues with feet, knees, or trouble doing daily activities.

Should I start running now or wait until I weigh less? I'd start out really slowly - mostly walking with a bit of running while I slowly add in more running.

Just looking for some opinions/experience. Thanks!

Hi Jessica. Well I can't see how tall you are on your profile, and I was never quite your weight, but assuming you are shorter than me at almost 6', I would not recommend just starting running. I did not start running first myself to conserve my knees, and I was always in relatively good shape, even at my highest weight I was definitely stronger than average and I had no history of knee problems. The reason is, getting a repetitive stress injury (or worse) when you have no knee problems to start with is relatively easy for a starting runner at high weight. You *can* do it, but its not really worth the risk in my opinion, knee injuries are tough to deal with, especially if you are trying to lose weight at the same time! If you do start, be very moderate and listen to your body: its better to take longer to get there than get an injury and go backwards.

You said you hike? That is what I would focus on if I were you: walking and hiking. You can easily hike and get the same calorie burn rates hiking up a mountain as you can running, but without quite the same impact of running (if you are hiking on trails, not bushwhacking your own trail). Not only this but you can actually burn more calories in a day walking and hiking than you can running: your endurance will run out faster while running, so much so you can only do a small fraction of the time that you can while hiking, and you could walk most of the day if you had the willpower to do it. It just takes more time. You wanted personal experience: I started hiking 3x per week months back and dropped pounds like crazy. If you do this, once you drop a significant amount of weight you can start right into running after having developed more muscles from the hiking and this reduces your chance of injury too. I wouldnt start running on the trails though, as this is likely to cause injury and I did hurt my knee doing this.
  • JessicaS14
    JessicaS14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Hi Jessica. Well I can't see how tall you are on your profile, and I was never quite your weight, but assuming you are shorter than me at almost 6', I would not recommend just starting running. I did not start running first myself to conserve my knees, and I was always in relatively good shape, even at my highest weight I was definitely stronger than average and I had no history of knee problems. The reason is, getting a repetitive stress injury (or worse) when you have no knee problems to start with is relatively easy for a starting runner at high weight. You *can* do it, but its not really worth the risk in my opinion, knee injuries are tough to deal with, especially if you are trying to lose weight at the same time! If you do start, be very moderate and listen to your body: its better to take longer to get there than get an injury and go backwards.

You said you hike? That is what I would focus on if I were you: walking and hiking. You can easily hike and get the same calorie burn rates hiking up a mountain as you can running, but without quite the same impact of running (if you are hiking on trails, not bushwhacking your own trail). Not only this but you can actually burn more calories in a day walking and hiking than you can running: your endurance will run out faster while running, so much so you can only do a small fraction of the time that you can while hiking, and you could walk most of the day if you had the willpower to do it. It just takes more time. You wanted personal experience: I started hiking 3x per week months back and dropped pounds like crazy. If you do this, once you drop a significant amount of weight you can start right into running after having developed more muscles from the hiking and this reduces your chance of injury too. I wouldnt start running on the trails though, as this is likely to cause injury and I did hurt my knee doing this.
    [/quote]

Thanks for your comment. I'm 5'8" - I'll have to add that to my profile :)

I do plan to hike but not sure how much longer I'll be able to do that. I live in Minnesota and many of the hiking trails I use will be covered in snow soon. Some are maintained but most are not. I do enjoy hiking so I'll be doing it til the snow keeps me from it!
  • JessicaS14
    JessicaS14 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also need to learn how to do the quote box when I reply to someone!

Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to start with just walking for a week and then possibly add small amounts of running.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Like the others say, look into Couch to 5K or the Galloway method. Not because of your weight at all, but because when anyone starts running they can hurt themselves by going too fast or adding mileage to quickly. Both of these methods use a walk-run method to build you up. Also get fitted for shoes by a professional ... VERY important. Good luck!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I did other, lower-impact exercises until I lost enough weight to move from "obese" to "overweight" in BMI before I started the C25K program. My knees are too important to me to risk further damage by placing them under additional stress.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    u will enjoy running at a lower weight i guess.
    the good part is you can come from obese to overweight with low impact exercises and then you can join c25k

but if you think you will be fine then go with it.