How do I make these pancakes tastier?

Options
theblondetrick
theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
There's this awesome recipe for low cal banana pancakes. Ingredients: 2 eggs and 1 large banana. Just mix the eggs and a mashed banana and fry them like pancakes. That's only around 250 calories and you get about 5 small pancakes.

The only problem is, these pancakes are way too "eggy", I mean, you can really taste the banana, but the eggs are pretty strong in there too. Does anybody know what I can do to make them less "eggy", but have pretty much the same amount of calories?

Replies

• SashaFarrelly
    Options
    why not try cutting out the yolks of the egg? It will reduce the calories and reduce the 'eggy' flavour, you could then sub in a little almond milk or semi-skimmed:)
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Use one egg instead. Maybe add a little milk instead?
  • starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Ingredients:
    ■1/3 cup Quaker quick oats* + **
    ■1/3 cup egg whites (the kind in the carton is best since there’s no onion powder in it like EggBeaters – ewwww)***
    ■1/2 tsp baking powder
    ■1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    ■Cinnamon to taste
    ■Optional: 1/2 a mashed banana or 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
    ■Toppings to taste!

*You can use any amount of oats/whites – 1/4 a cup of each (~100 calories) or 1/3 or 1/2 cup each (~150 + 200 calories).

**You can use old fashioned rolled oats too, but you will want to soak them in the egg whites for at least 15 minutes – or overnight in the fridge

***You can use a whole egg, but I don’t think the pancake comes out as well, but it DOES work. Or real egg whites, but you’d probably need 2-3 eggs’ worth

1.Mix together oats and egg whites with baking powder, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a bowl. Optional: add half a mashed banana to the batter.

2.Preheat a skillet, spray with non-stick spray, and pour your batter in while shaping it into a large disc “pancake” with a spoon.

3.When you can shake it around in the pan, it’s time to flip.

4.Once cooked through, top with syrup, peanut butter, canned pumpkin, fresh fruit or my personal favorite – mashed banana and maple syrup!
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I make this but I put in 1 packet of stevia and a cap full of vanilla. I make one large "pancake" like a frittata. Once I pour it into my pan I add 3 sliced strawberries and a 1/4 cup fresh blueberries. It may sound gross but I put a tablespoon of peanut butter or better yet organic sunflower seed butter and a table spoon of lite syrup on to top it off. Add a couple pieces of bacon and you have brunch! Make sure you use plenty of olive oil cooking spray and you cook it low with a lid so it cooks up through. I do flip mine carefully.
  • KCHernandez1981
    KCHernandez1981 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use a scoop of vanilla protien powder, 2 eggs, 1 Tbps water then mix. Not so eggy. If you take out the banna you can add in other flavors, pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, cinnamin. Or use other flavored syurps...Good luck!

244 calories.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    There's this awesome recipe for low cal banana pancakes. Ingredients: 2 eggs and 1 large banana. Just mix the eggs and a mashed banana and fry them like pancakes. That's only around 250 calories and you get about 5 small pancakes.

The only problem is, these pancakes are way too "eggy", I mean, you can really taste the banana, but the eggs are pretty strong in there too. Does anybody know what I can do to make them less "eggy", but have pretty much the same amount of calories?

i buy the pancakes already made don't know if too eggy, and ...or pancakes flour that is very balanced so while cooking you add bananas or....i love berries
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Of course they taste eggy, it's a banana omelet. Removing the yolk will help some, but you are never going to get an omelet to taste like a pancake.
  • CheeksBryant
    CheeksBryant Posts: 193 Member
    Options

try adding a little vanilla extract or cocoa powder
  • FitMolly182
    FitMolly182 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have made these several times. I mix the banana in a sandwich bag, then mix the egg in a bowl. I make sure the egg is extra mixed. I add apple pie spice to the banana and then add that to the eggs and mix some more. I find that it's not eggy. I was the first time, but I have never had more than just the first pancake turn out eggy. I just mix it extremely well.

Take a fork through the mixture and lift up from the bottom and make sure you don't get that mucus looking egg white coming up and you know you have mixed enough.

Hope the helps.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    add unsweetened cocoa, peanut flour/pb2, or protein powder. and baking powder.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i made this once. it was awful. it tasted like a banana omelet. no thanks.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options

try adding a little vanilla extract or cocoa powder

^This.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    36b4a663c6cfdfe0128eb9b5ad6133f1.jpg
  • FurtherUpstream
    Options
    I've experimented a lot recently making Paleo Banana Pancakes. The best tasting ones I have made are the following:
    2 banana's, 2 eggs, Almond Flour, Cinnamon, Vanilla Extract, and presto you have some tasty pancakes. I even tried it before by adding small cut pieces of apples as well and it was really yummy as well. Just make sure for optimal health you use 100% real maple syrup and preferably local. I'm fortunate to live in a area where we produce a lot of maple syrup. Process maple syrup is basically corn syrup and horrible for you.

Enjoy,
    Nathaniel