Diet drinks advice..

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You're probably okay having a few diet drinks per week. Using artificial sweeteners in large amounts, like drinking several diet drinks every day, might or might not slow your progress. There is conflicting data in the scientific literature.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.

You should. I am severely allergic and intolerant to the evil stuff. It is cancer causing and causes me the have seizures. I have to check everything for nutra sweet/aspartame!

Poster1: "I eat nuts everyday and I've lost weight just fine"
    Poster2: "IF I EAT NUTS I DIE"

Sounds legit

Get out of my head.
  • okgal247
    okgal247 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.

You should. I am severely allergic and intolerant to the evil stuff. It is cancer causing and causes me the have seizures. I have to check everything for nutra sweet/aspartame!

I think it's important to note that not everyone will have the same reaction(s). For example: my father-in-law lived off of diet drinks for the longest time, and then one day became deathly ill (this story is from my husband, and I can't remember what disease they feared he had) and once he switched to unsweetend iced tea (the man will NOT touch water) he was perfectly fine BUT my dad drinks diet sodas CONSTANTLY, at one point- he could finish a liter in 1 day- he's cut back a little, but still drinks it quite a bit- anyway, the man has never had an issue and runs 5 miles every day, healthy as a horse *knock on wood!*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase of diet coke and gained weight at that time. Probably because I was consuming it with Double versions of Carls Jr's six dollar burgers with the works and waffle fries and a chocolate cake dessert. This was after a long day of non monitored meals so I was probably coming in at double the cals I consume now.

During a different diet coke phase where I was mixing it with rum and lime I lost weight. 51 lbs to be exact. Mostly because I was on the somersize diet and watching what I ate in general.

Man I'm craving a diet coke right now. :drinker:...oh and look I brought one for you! (I'm a good guest).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Okay. I've taken to much time to try to show you why it's so bad for you. It's up to you to research it and find out if you are one of the very lucky 25% percent of people who can drink this. (Math was off in a previous post. ). But you have to willing enough to test what the FDA and these food companies tell you is okay. 10 years ago mono sodium glutinates where okay. Now they are bad. Now it's gmo's. You find the truth and go for it. I personally just want to be healthy.
    Monosodium glutamate (it's one chemical, not several) is not bad for you, and neither are GMOs. You need to start researching some actual peer reviewed science, and stay away from the fear mongering places you've obviously been using for your research.

And as I stated before, your "75%" number is ridiculously inflated and ludicrous. It came from a guy who took some real data (showing a very small minority of people being affected,) and then basically made up his own numbers based on what he wanted to make people think. I've read the actual report he based his "math" from, the number was more like 1%, not 75%.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase of diet coke and gained weight at that time. Probably because I was consuming it with Double versions of Carls Jr's six dollar burgers with the works and waffle fries and a chocolate cake dessert. This was after a long day of non monitored meals so I was probably coming in at double the cals I consume now.

During a different diet coke phase where I was mixing it with rum and lime I lost weight. 51 lbs to be exact. Mostly because I was on the somersize diet and watching what I ate in general.

Man I'm craving a diet coke right now. :drinker:...oh and look I brought one for you! (I'm a good guest).

I had a similar experience but instead of Carl's Jr., I was adding bourbon to my diet cokes. They were delicious. The diet coke alone will not hinder weight loss. Only a calorie surplus will hinder weight loss.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Disagree. A diet drink labeled with 0 calories and artificial sugar hasn't been scientifically shown to impair weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

QFT. I drink Coke Zero regularly and have only had issues with my sensitive teeth. That's the only reason I would stop drinking it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    *sips diet soda*
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I am wondering whether Diet drinks such as Diet Coke or Pepsi Max affect weight loss.

And.... you're probably still wondering.

confused.jpg
  • moefinch
    moefinch Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that I am addicted to the carbonation, not the diet soda. Bought myself a SodaStream and carbonate tap water. It's a perfect fix for me!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    This one hits close to home for me. Yes there are many scientific evidence stating that diet sodas
    can make you gain instead of loose.
    There are correlative studies, not causation studies.
    They cause cravings, they cause a slowdown of the metabolic system, but most importantly the chemicals threat are contained in that nutra sweet can cause adverse health effects such as seizures, headaches, cancer, mood disorders, ect. For me it's seizures. 1 can of diet soda will put me in the emergency room.
    Personal health issues with artificial sweeteners are a concern, but not for general population who don't have reactions to it.
    Look up "dangers of nutra sweet/ aspartame on google. You will be shocked about what it says.
    Google searches don't always result in truth.
    The main thing you have to know is that everything you put into your body is broken down into smaller ingredients for your body to digest and apply where needed. Nutra sweet breaks down into its smallest parts as formaldehyde (cancer causing chemical that is found in just about anything you eat but not to the degree that it is in nutra sweet, and also used in embalming people for burial. Hmmm isn't that ironic) and ethyl alcohol.And extremely deadly form of alcohol that is not readily available to just ingest like that. We'll kinda it is rubbing alcohol). Formaldehyde then breaks down into amino proteins and acts as a neurotoxin. Hmmm now why would I want to poison my nuero abilities, brain). That's the brunt of it. Most people have an intolerance to it and don't know it because they have been ingesting it for so long. We found out about mine through a series of ekg's. And cat scans while they were determining if I was epileptic at 5 yrs old. Some advice is to cut it out for a full month and see what happens. Add it back in after a month if you feel "funny" in anyway, lack of sleep, cravings,headaches, seizures, memory loss, ect. Stop it immediately. Nutra sweet is extremely bad stuf!
    Lol, love the formaldehyde scare tactics. How about eating citrus fruits forms into formaldehyde in the body? Or even tomatoes?
    Lack of actual full knowledge on physiology from people who just read "bad" side effects isn't one that should be taken as gospel.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Stop please. There aren't any studies that show that consuming artificial sweeteners CAUSE cancer.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Articles aren't peer reviewed clinical studies. It's like using the bible to prove christianity is right.

IDEA Fitness member
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think they taste like ****, this is why I don't drink them. Each to their own though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Show me scientific proof it does all that and maybe I will believe it. Btw smoking causes cancer so they say but according to scientists everyone has cancer it just lies dormant in some people.

I have ekg's and cat scans to prove it but I will not post my private medical records so that you can believe it. It was stupid to ask me to do that. However I posted just 4 documentation a in the post before that for it. I do know I will not touch the stuff again till I'm admitted into the hospital and have full testing done before and after because it will cause a seizure. I have not had a seizure in 30 years since I was diagnosed and taken off it and even then my physician was having trouble believing it. Don't ever accuse someone of liveng to you about it. You may just find out that one product would cause them to die if the ever got ahold of it.
    Anecdotes aren't evidence. This just pertains to just YOUR reaction to artificial sweeteners.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am wondering whether Diet drinks such as Diet Coke or Pepsi Max affect weight loss.

I drink a few cans of Pepsi Max, I haven't really noticed it affecting my weight loss target for each week.

But in general could it slow down progress? I know there's a lot of substitutes for sugar in the car that are not great.

Cheers:smile:

OP, do *not* put sugar in your car...or at least not in the gas tank.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Okay. I've taken to much time to try to show you why it's so bad for you. It's up to you to research it and find out if you are one of the very lucky 25% percent of people who can drink this. (Math was off in a previous post. ). But you have to willing enough to test what the FDA and these food companies tell you is okay. 10 years ago mono sodium glutinates where okay. Now they are bad. Now it's gmo's. You find the truth and go for it. I personally just want to be healthy.
    Lol MSG is still okay. Asians (who happen to not have the same kind of weight or health issues as Americans and others) use it daily. And health isn't just about what you consume. There are several factors that also have to be addressed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    derp.gif