Carbs vs Starch?

Options
In the next weeks to come, I'm going to be focussing on Low Carb. The problem is that (with the exception of the past four days) I usually eat little or no STARCH but because of fruit and veggies, the CARB number on MFP is higher than I would like it.

Most, if not all veggies are carbs, however, not all veggies are starch. So my question is, when using MFP, is there a way of making a distinction between STARCH and CARBS?

I love my veggies, but because of the number I see when I enter them into my meal plan, it puts me off. The same is true for sugar... I have found myself avoiding fruit because the sugar number is so high. I add sugar to NOTHING, unyet, when I eat certain fresh produce, that sugar number hits the roof!

So what would be your suggestions regarding data input when it comes to Starch vs Carbs and similar on the sugar.

Or am I totally demented? Does low carb mean cutting down on all carbs including veg?

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

Plants store glucose as the polysaccharide starch. The cereal grains (wheat, rice, corn, oats, barley) as well as tubers such as potatoes are rich in starch.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't think you understand what a starch is. Starches ARE carbs.

A carbohydrate is a starch (complex carb that includes grains, potatoes, etc), sugar (simple carb that includes glucose, sucrose, fructose, etc), or fiber.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

Plants store glucose as the polysaccharide starch. The cereal grains (wheat, rice, corn, oats, barley) as well as tubers such as potatoes are rich in starch.

So would it be safe to say.... avoid starchy veg such as tuber's etc. and then ignore the carb number if one is only eating green and orange veg as a source of carbs?
  • wilddavid
    wilddavid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

^^What the clever woman above said
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

So would it be safe to say.... avoid starchy veg such as tuber's etc. and then ignore the carb number if one is only eating green and orange veg as a source of carbs?

You are making this a lot more complicated than it is. Eat a healthy, balanced diet and combine that with exercise.
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

Thanks for that. So is this statement in fact untrue: "Most, if not all veggies are carbs, however, not all veggies are starch. "
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Or am I totally demented? Does low carb mean cutting down on all carbs including veg?

That's what low carb is. Cut down on all carbs including vegetables. You don't have to do that to lose weight. Carbs are good for you especially from fruits and vegetables. It's very tough to get fiber without carbs. It's hard to fit micronutrients in without fruits and vegetables. Forget about going low carb.
  • wheird
    Options
    ALL veggies have carbs.
  • brower47
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

I'll have to let someone else answer this as I'm not well versed on the low carb eating method of eating. The extent of my knowledge comes from my mother doing Atkins some years ago. She at a lot of meat and ate a lot of leafy green salads with vinegar. But good luck.
  • CarynMacD
    Options

That's what low carb is. Cut down on all carbs including vegetables. You don't have to do that to lose weight. Carbs are good for you especially from fruits and vegetables. It's very tough to get fiber without carbs. It's hard to fit micronutrients in without fruits and vegetables. Forget about going low carb.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think as long as the "carb choices" or "source of carbs" is coming from fruit and veg as opposed to bread and pasta, I should be right on track.

Thanks!
  • wheird
    Options

I'm inclined to agree with you. I think as long as the "carb choices" or "source of carbs" is coming from fruit and veg as opposed to bread and pasta, I should be right on track.

Thanks!

In terms of weight loss, the source of the carbs is not very important.

Bread and pasta is fine. And delicious.
  • brower47
    Options
    Starch is a carb.

Thanks for that. So is this statement in fact untrue: "Most, if not all veggies are carbs, however, not all veggies are starch. "

No, it's true. A lot of vegetables don't store their glucose as starch. An orange for example, isn't starchy but the grains and potatoes are. Different plants store their carbohydrates in different forms.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're going to give low carb a try (and it's a valid approach, btw), you may want to join one of the low carb groups. They have stickies and what not to help you along.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-
  • CarynMacD
    Options
    If you're going to give low carb a try (and it's a valid approach, btw), you may want to join one of the low carb groups. They have stickies and what not to help you along.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

Thanks Sabine!

I'll check it out.
  • SaraC1977
    Options
    How low are you trying to go with your net carbs per day (carbs-fiber)? Everyone's different but I find I don't have to go as low as suggested to lose weight. For example, often they say 20-30 net carbs but I can stay around 50-70 and still lose.

I refuse to give up fruits and veggies because they are so good for you nutritionally. You just can't get all your nutrients from dairy and meat. That being said, I tend to stay towards lower sugar/carb fruit/veggies. For example, no bananas, potatoes or corn. However, I do have have berries (blue, strawberries, raspberries), avocado, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, etc.

If you can give me a little more info on what you are trying to do, carb/sugar wise, I can try to help you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How low are you trying to go with your net carbs per day (carbs-fiber)? Everyone's different but I find I don't have to go as low as suggested to lose weight. For example, often they say 20-30 net carbs but I can stay around 50-70 and still lose.

I refuse to give up fruits and veggies because they are so good for you nutritionally. You just can't get all your nutrients from dairy and meat. That being said, I tend to stay towards lower sugar/carb fruit/veggies. For example, no bananas, potatoes or corn. However, I do have have berries (blue, strawberries, raspberries), avocado, asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms, etc.

If you can give me a little more info on what you are trying to do, carb/sugar wise, I can try to help you.
    Many low carb plans allow for berries. (not disagreeing with you, just noting that)
  • CarynMacD
    Options

Sara... to be honest, I am still trying to figure out what my macro split should be.

From a training perspective, I lift 3 x a week, do cardio (swimming 3 x week and eliptical 3 x week).

I am 5'4"
    SW: 163.2
    CW: 147.2 (however, after the indulgences over the past 4 days, that could be wrong)
    GW: 132 Lbs.... so I don't have far to go.

I do not wish to loose muscle and would prefer to continue, as much as possible, to work on body comp.

As soon as I get this Plantar Fasciitis sorted out, I will be in training for Triathlons again too, so in order to retain muscle, high protein seems to be the way to go.

I was sort of thinking around:

30% Carbs 45% Protein 25% Fat..... The fat number scares me a bit as I do have high cholestrol.
  • SaraC1977
    Options

Sara... to be honest, I am still trying to figure out what my macro split should be.

From a training perspective, I lift 3 x a week, do cardio (swimming 3 x week and eliptical 3 x week).

I am 5'4"
    CW: 147.2 (however, after the indulgences over the past 4 days, that could be wrong)

I do not wish to loose muscle and would prefer to continue, as much as possible, to work on body comp.

As soon as I get this Plantar Fasciitis sorted out, I will be in training for Triathlons again too, so in order to retain muscle, high protein seems to be the way to go.

30% Carbs 45% Protein 25% Fat..... The fat number scares me a bit as I do have high cholestrol.

To be honest, all the exercising and %'s and calories are more for the person on a low cal/low-fat diet. When I do low carb, I don't really look at % ratios and just do whatever exercise is comfortable at the time, not for weight loss but more for health and stamina. Since you aren't sure where to start, I would start of on the lower side of the net carb count and then increase gradually to see where you taper off and stop losing. For example, maybe start at 20-25 and see if you lose the first week. If not, lower by 5. If losing, increase to 30-35, and continue on. That's how I determined I could go pretty high with mine. If I go over 70 net, than I stop losing. Over 100 and I gain. Everyone's body is different and I'm sure age plays a factor too.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    we need a list of low carb veg and fruit we can we eat on low carb and not go over.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I am 5'4"

fwiw, 30% carbs isn't low carb by most standards. But yes, if you want to keep it under 30 percent, then you'd want to eat more leafy greens (relatively) and fewer fruits and fewer grains.