Diet drinks advice..

Options

Replies

• emalinemartin
    emalinemartin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Whether or not they affect your weight loss, they're affecting your health. Inside and out.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Whether or not they affect your weight loss, they're affecting your health. Inside and out.

The data are inconclusive on the claim.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    There is evidence in rats that high intensity artificial sweeteners induce weight gain. There are other mitigating factors, but for me, after reading this study, I would avoid using artificial sweeteners (I do anyway, because they don't agree with me).

Adverse effects of high-intensity sweeteners on energy intake and weight control in male and obesity-prone female rats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23398432
    Unfortunately studies on rats don't seem to have the same results in humans.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Not at all true. And at the very least, it is worth taking into consideration.
    If we're taking about aspartame, I haven't yet encountered a study where rats were used and the same results ended up the same in humans. If you have one, please link it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Rocky_ZG
    Rocky_ZG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to drink something sweet, add stevia to the tea.
    Or cool the tea to 40 degree celsius or lower and add some honey.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.

You should. I am severely allergic and intolerant to the evil stuff. It is cancer causing and causes me the have seizures. I have to check everything for nutra sweet/aspartame!
    I'm severely allergic to capsaicin (anything spicy, basically). Just because it's bad FOR ME doesn't mean it's bad FOR EVERYONE.

I drink diet soda a few times a week and I think my weight loss speaks for itself. Zero calories means it cannot physically make you gain any weight.

I think where it CAN sabotage people is if you're the kind of person who does mental "trade-offs." Statistically many people tend to underestimate how many calories they're consuming and overestimate how many they're saving. Like if you are the kind of person to say "I was 'good' and had a diet soda instead of a regular soda for lunch... so it's okay for me to have an extra slice of chocolate cake for dinner." I see people at McDonald's getting a super-sized meal with a large Diet Coke all the time, I'm sure they think they're trading off, too. But since weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit from the number of calories you consume, if you play these kinds of mental bargaining games with yourself with diet soda, then it's possible you can overdo it with some other food. I hope that makes sense!

Yeah I don't go to mcdonalds either. I don't eat anything they make. Yuck! Chicken isn't even real.

Uh, I'm pretty sure chickens are real.

Here's a picture of the elusive beast:

chicken-0011.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Have a few glasses of pepsi max a day. Helps with cravings and has NOT stopped me losing weight. I don't really believe in the scare stories.

You should. I am severely allergic and intolerant to the evil stuff. It is cancer causing and causes me the have seizures. I have to check everything for nutra sweet/aspartame!

Poster1: "I eat nuts everyday and I've lost weight just fine"
    Poster2: "IF I EAT NUTS I DIE"

Sounds legit

Poster1: "I eat nuts everyday and I've lost weight just fine"
    Poster2: "IF I EAT NUTS I DIE. NO ONE SHOULD EAT NUTS. EVER!"
    Poster3: "Nuts are fine if you aren't allergic to them.
    Poster2: "HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A LIAR! WHAT PART OF "IF I EAT NUTS I DIE" DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND???

Sadly, this model isn't even the exception in MFP threads.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I'm severely allergic to capsaicin (anything spicy, basically). Just because it's bad FOR ME doesn't mean it's bad FOR EVERYONE.

I drink diet soda a few times a week and I think my weight loss speaks for itself. Zero calories means it cannot physically make you gain any weight.

I think where it CAN sabotage people is if you're the kind of person who does mental "trade-offs." Statistically many people tend to underestimate how many calories they're consuming and overestimate how many they're saving. Like if you are the kind of person to say "I was 'good' and had a diet soda instead of a regular soda for lunch... so it's okay for me to have an extra slice of chocolate cake for dinner." I see people at McDonald's getting a super-sized meal with a large Diet Coke all the time, I'm sure they think they're trading off, too. But since weight loss is about creating a calorie deficit from the number of calories you consume, if you play these kinds of mental bargaining games with yourself with diet soda, then it's possible you can overdo it with some other food. I hope that makes sense!

Yeah I don't go to mcdonalds either. I don't eat anything they make. Yuck! Chicken isn't even real.

chicken-0011.jpg

I can post pictures of magical, mystical animals too.

untitled_zpseb6f8744.png
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Full disclosure: I haven't had a diet soda since 1988. My drink of choice back then was regular soda...(but I stopped drinking that in 2005).
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

chicken-0011.jpg

I can post pictures of magical, mystical animals too.

untitled_zpseb6f8744.png

Then what was in that homemade chicken pot pie soup I had today...and yesterday??? It tasted like chicken...

...but so many things do.

Mind. Blown.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

chicken-0011.jpg

Nah, that's the chupacabra, try again.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure: I haven't had a diet soda since 1988. My drink of choice back then was regular soda...(but I stopped drinking that in 2005).

Tell me another story grandpa. The one about the world before cell phones. And the one where you walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill, both ways.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options

Show me scientific proof it does all that and maybe I will believe it. Btw smoking causes cancer so they say but according to scientists everyone has cancer it just lies dormant in some people.

I have ekg's and cat scans to prove it but I will not post my private medical records so that you can believe it. It was stupid to ask me to do that. However I posted just 4 documentation a in the post before that for it. I do know I will not touch the stuff again till I'm admitted into the hospital and have full testing done before and after because it will cause a seizure. I have not had a seizure in 30 years since I was diagnosed and taken off it and even then my physician was having trouble believing it. Don't ever accuse someone of liveng to you about it. You may just find out that one product would cause them to die if the ever got ahold of it.

So you have a bad reaction to it and millions do not. So it's not bad then it's just like a nut allergy or someone who is lactose intolerant. The 4 links you posted are poorly written articles with no scientific evidence to back up their claims. I could have written one of them if I wanted to scare people.

The fact is millions of people drink this stuff every day and there is not one scientific study out there saying this stuff is bad for you from what I can see but I can see loads of scare mongering videos on youtube or articles. It's like a DR telling me Steroids are bad for me and are illegal yet then prescribing me some Anavar to help heal my burns or prescribing me a low dose of testosterone to get my libido back.

I watched a video awhile back which was on about steroids and the Dr listed off around 20 problems this one drug caused and at the end of the list he named it which was causing these mad issues in people it was

Vitamin c

And here I was watching it expecting it to be Trenbolone lol

Lol
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Tell me another story grandpa. The one about the world before cell phones. And the one where you walk to school barefoot in the snow, uphill, both ways.

keep-calm-and-get-off-my-lawn-1.png
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

chicken-0011.jpg

Nah, that's the chupacabra, try again.

Chicken, that's like, some Inception type *kitten* right there
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Okay first of all you don't know me. So please quit saying I'm lieing about this. I will not eat gmo's (the are actually banned in some areas of Europe) if I know that's what I'm eating. I'm careful to watch this kinda if stuff. All I ask you to do is research and do what you want. I'm just saying it can have some negative effects on people. I don't have to be bullied and have my stuff completely broken down because you are a so called ace certified personal trainers. All the trainers I know would never ever recommend that their people drink something that can be potentially harmful. So I have trouble believing who you say you are. Secondly. This was a simple statement of be careful what you put into your body. I'm learning the hard way as I have just found out gluten is bad for me. Are you going to now say that gluten is a good substance. I would like youto talk to all the celiacs in the world and tell them the research is inconclusive. I would not be willing to do testing if I was lieing about it. if only I could find a panel that would like to test for it but I can't have everything. I don't trust what people tell me anymore and I test it before I believe it's healthy. So far I have found very little food that I can eat. But as far as this conversation goes your obviously in it just to negate everything and. to unwilling to learn from someone with a personal experience with it. I just wish more people would come out as speak up about how bad it effected them but people like you tend to tell them they are lieing so they scare off. This is exactly why I don't read the forums anymore. I will say this for anyone in the future post if you want to honestly know my experience with aspartame then you can write me but I will not talk to anyone who thinks the have a medical degree and wants to make the assumption that I'm not really that way because that means you are willing to put my life at risk as well as others for your own benefits.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Okay. I've taken to much time to try to show you why it's so bad for you. It's up to you to research it and find out if you are one of the very lucky 25% percent of people who can drink this. (Math was off in a previous post. ). But you have to willing enough to test what the FDA and these food companies tell you is okay. 10 years ago mono sodium glutinates where okay. Now they are bad. Now it's gmo's. You find the truth and go for it. I personally just want to be healthy.
    Lol MSG is still okay. Asians (who happen to not have the same kind of weight or health issues as Americans and others) use it daily. And health isn't just about what you consume. There are several factors that also have to be addressed.

IDEA Fitness member

Which part of Asia are you referring to?

ETA - In Malaysia, It was reported that over 2.6 million adults were obese while over 477,000 children below the age of 18 years were overweight. 15% of the population (over 18 years) are obese.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Okay first of all you don't know me. So please quit saying I'm lieing about this. I will not eat gmo's (the are actually banned in some areas of Europe) if I know that's what I'm eating. I'm careful to watch this kinda if stuff. All I ask you to do is research and do what you want. I'm just saying it can have some negative effects on people. I don't have to be bullied and have my stuff completely broken down because you are a so called ace certified personal trainers. All the trainers I know would never ever recommend that their people drink something that can be potentially harmful. So I have trouble believing who you say you are. Secondly. This was a simple statement of be careful what you put into your body. I'm learning the hard way as I have just found out gluten is bad for me. Are you going to now say that gluten is a good substance. I would like youto talk to all the celiacs in the world and tell them the research is inconclusive. I would not be willing to do testing if I was lieing about it. if only I could find a panel that would like to test for it but I can't have everything. I don't trust what people tell me anymore and I test it before I believe it's healthy. So far I have found very little food that I can eat. But as far as this conversation goes your obviously in it just to negate everything and. to unwilling to learn from someone with a personal experience with it. I just wish more people would come out as speak up about how bad it effected them but people like you tend to tell them they are lieing so they scare off. This is exactly why I don't read the forums anymore. I will say this for anyone in the future post if you want to honestly know my experience with aspartame then you can write me but I will not talk to anyone who thinks the have a medical degree and wants to make the assumption that I'm not really that way because that means you are willing to put my life at risk as well as others for your own benefits.

Aspartame gives me headaches. I generally avoid it since I'm not a fan of the car sick feeling.

If you don't have a sensitivity to it, you can go ahead and drink with without a problem.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    There is evidence in rats that high intensity artificial sweeteners induce weight gain. There are other mitigating factors, but for me, after reading this study, I would avoid using artificial sweeteners (I do anyway, because they don't agree with me).

Adverse effects of high-intensity sweeteners on energy intake and weight control in male and obesity-prone female rats.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23398432
    Unfortunately studies on rats don't seem to have the same results in humans.

IDEA Fitness member

Not at all true. And at the very least, it is worth taking into consideration.
    If we're taking about aspartame, I haven't yet encountered a study where rats were used and the same results ended up the same in humans. If you have one, please link it.

IDEA Fitness member

This is from the abstract (bolded is mine):
    showed significant increases in energy intake, weight gain, and adiposity when given saccharin-sweetened compared with glucose-sweetened yogurt supplements

The rats consumed more energy ie: food when given saccharin. Any effects on human beings could be mitigated by tracking food consumption.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you can't be bothered to actually read what people are saying, then maybe the forums aren't for you. NOBODY IS SAYING ASPARTAME DOESN'T AFFECT YOU. What we are saying is that it doesn't affect most people that way. You are part of a small minority. The same with gluten. Nobody here will tell someone with celiacs to eat gluten, that's a really stupid thing to even suggest. We will however, tell people that gluten itself isn't a problem for the 94% of the human population that don't have celiacs. Now, if someone with celiacs were to say that gluten was bad for the remaining 6,580,000,000 people on Earth that don't have celiacs and can eat gluten with no problem, then yes, that person would be corrected.