How do you make Green Tea taste better?

Options
lesliegail1986
lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
Looking for some new ideas. I drink 2 cups of green tea every morning but I don't like the taste much! I am trying to eat clean and don't want to add artificial sweeteners. I have used honey and agave but i'd like to cut back on my sugar. I usually squeeze some lemon in but it doesn't help much :( Thoughts?

Replies

• lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    hmm it's hard if you wanna keep out sugar. Sometimes I mix it with cranberry juice or put it in my green smoothie instead of water.
  • MimikoMomoko
    Options
    Try a smidge of honey! Usually does the trick for me :) I put in maybe half a tablespoon in a small mug sometimes a little less.
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are different flavoured green teas !! Or cos you are eating clean don't you want to go down that path ??
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try drinking it iced with a bit of lemon, no sugar. I like cold green tea much better than I do warm (it tastes less "grassy" to me). Or perhaps find a jasmine green tea- I love it!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Cook it right.

"For example, boiling water is too hot for white and green teas and will make them taste bitter. Letting the tea leaves sit for too long in water can also make your tea taste bitter or harsh."

http://www.teavana.com/tea-info/new-to-tea

I like my green tea plain with no sweetener but not if it's been made wrong.
  • soffben
    Options
    At my local tea shop they sell green tea with yoghurt taste. It's very good! Or like you tried, lemon but alot of lemon :) If you like it more sweet, stevia?
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Try drinking something else! Redbush or rooibos tea has a naturally sweet taste and is caffeine free :)
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Jasmine green tea is really nice...or try white tea, which is less bitter.
  • Letje_Lux
    Options
    I drink tons of tea and use 1 packet of stevia per cup.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Can you find a pre-made green tea drink bottled and found at any convenience store? The only hot drink I like is coffee.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Can you find a pre-made green tea drink bottled and found at any convenience store? The only hot drink I like is coffee.

The premade ones are FULL of sugar and other artificial crap.

I'd go for a flavoured green tea. I drink LOTS of tea, I absolutely love tea, however, I'm not a great fan of plain green tea but you can get endless kinds of green tea. I'd go for something like a strawberry green tea or something like that because it'll have a naturally sweet flavour because of it.

I would also suggest getting the good quality teas from tea stores like Teavana, David's Tea, Adiago...umm, not sure others...instead of the kinds from the grocery stores. the good quality ones will taste much better. Also! You can mix fruit teas with the green tea. For example, I got some fruit teas from Steeped Tea. One was a a Passionfruit tea. JUST fruit chunks and I LOVE putting a few of those chunks in my green tea and it has such an intense, fruity flavour.
  • lesliegail1986
    lesliegail1986 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So many great ideas! Thanks!
  • endlesoul
    endlesoul Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cook it right.

"For example, boiling water is too hot for white and green teas and will make them taste bitter. Letting the tea leaves sit for too long in water can also make your tea taste bitter or harsh."

THIS ^^
  • To make any tea I drink less bitter, I actually use one tea bag to 20-24 oz or more of water and then put 1 single packet of stevia for the whole cup. Like people said before- be cautious of the water being too hot. Don't use boiling water, use pre-boiling water where it may start boiling soon. In Japan- the water down there green tea also. Less staining on the teeth is a benefit when using tons of water per tea bag too. :) hope this helps.
  • Shamichelle
    Shamichelle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I add a little unsweetened almond milk, vanilla or plain.
  • kramalicious
    Options
    Green tea is great! My husband makes a cold mixture of green tea, a little black tea brewed together, then mixes a little fresh orange juice and some stevia in there. It's great.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Cook it right.

^This^

I can't stand anything in it! but it has to be made correctly!
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I make cinnamon green tea (1 tea bag + 1 cinnamon stick). Then I let it cool & drink it around lunch or later. The cinnamon gives it more of a sweet or light taste. It takes away the bitter/grassy taste. I originally tried it because I read that cinnamon reduces inflammation!
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I cant take green tea on an empty stomach without honey. Not sure why.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I learned from my husband who is Asian that I was making it too strong. Once I stopped brewing it for too long I found I really like it.