Best excersize for weight loss

Options
HI,

I'm Martha, my starting weight was 220lbs - I've lost 10 pounds so far on the 12minutediet.com diet in 2 and a half months - I regularly listen to the download and am generally feeling happy with no cravings and haven't fallen off the wagon as yet !!!!

From the beginning I have been keen to excersize on the diet but my dodgy ankles ( not helped of course by my fuller figure !!!!) have stopped me trying new things

Any ideas on sports I can try to keep up the weight loss which won't strain my ankles too much?:smile:

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great place to start. If you have access to a local community pool, water walking or aerobics as well as swimming are great and put less strain on weak ankles. Congratulations on your loss and best wishes for continued success.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Walking
    Swimming
    Biking
    Yoga

Keep up the great work!!
  • bluesunset2015
    Options
    I agree with Lizzy, water-based exercises will give your ankle a break. You could also try arm bike (pedalling with your arms) and strength-training exercises for your upper body like biceps curls, chest presses, etc.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Was gonna say Zumba based on post title...after reading about ankles...Aqua Zumba!! And any general swimming :)
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    If you gym offers it I would suggest body flow. It's yoga Thai chi and Pilates. I use it as my low impact exercise day on Sundays. I have bad knees and ankles. I would not recommended step aerobics or Zumba till you are mor comfortable moving a lot. You can try body pump. (Weight lifting class) but I will warn you it's intense and I was scared of it up till a couple of days. It's a whole bunch of squats and lunges. I started heavy exercising three months ago. Most gyms offer a class called body combat and body attack. Stay away from them till you are more comfortable with moving and not twisting your ankles. Water aerobics would be good. It's high calorie burn but very low impact. It's considered a weightless activity. However keep in mind with weightless activities you will get the calorie burn but most classes are designed to use you own body weight against you. So if your in yoga and you go into a push-up into an upper dog pose you are using your own weight against you. That helps build muscle and make you stronger. You will not have that in water aerobics but will get the calorie burn. You instead will be using water as your resistance factor not your own body. Hope that makes since.
  • writemusic4him
    writemusic4him Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns the calories. Strength builds muscle that boosts your metabolism :)
  • garrisonwife
    garrisonwife Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting!!! I have a bone disease that affects all my joints...especially the weight bearing ones. Since I've started lifting heavy weights, I have NEVER felt better! I also do it in a "circuit training" kind of way, so that I don't take many breaks between sets. Gets the heart rate up like crazy, I sweat like crazy, feel like a BEAST at the end of my workout...and I have lost more weight than I EVER did when I was doing cardio only. You can read my story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1136854-it-s-impossible-oh-wait-maybe-it-s-not

Also, if you're not ready to go the lifting route, everyone else is right on about swimming, hand bikes, etc. When I first started (at 255lbs, a hip replacement and a fractured hip and two dying knees)...I started out VERY slowly by getting on the elliptical. It's super easy on the weight bearing joints...and now, I'm running and jumping around the racquetball court like I'm 18 again!! Good luck to you, and God Bless!!!

~MB~
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Heavy lifting!!! I have a bone disease that affects all my joints...especially the weight bearing ones. Since I've started lifting heavy weights, I have NEVER felt better! I also do it in a "circuit training" kind of way, so that I don't take many breaks between sets. Gets the heart rate up like crazy, I sweat like crazy, feel like a BEAST at the end of my workout...and I have lost more weight than I EVER did when I was doing cardio only. You can read my story here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1136854-it-s-impossible-oh-wait-maybe-it-s-not

Also, if you're not ready to go the lifting route, everyone else is right on about swimming, hand bikes, etc. When I first started (at 255lbs, a hip replacement and a fractured hip and two dying knees)...I started out VERY slowly by getting on the elliptical. It's super easy on the weight bearing joints...and now, I'm running and jumping around the racquetball court like I'm 18 again!! Good luck to you, and God Bless!!!

~MB~

Wow! Your an inspiration. Not many people can show that. We can talk but don't have the experience behind us. I have had back surgery and knee surgery which is hard. I do about two hours of exercise everyday except Sundays which is one your. We'll unless I decided to spend time with my hubby. I generally take Wednesdays off also. And you are right lifting is a good thing. It provides strength and stability!
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have very weak ankles, a collapsed calf muscle and heel, holes in my knee cartilage and slipped discs in my back so understand how you're feeling.

I find that strapping my ankle and knees up before a workout and for about an hour afterwards helps a lot. As well as ice after a workout too.

I use the X-trainer, and the bike and do a lot of different weights, including a few weights classes (Body Pump) which has helped strengthen my leg muscles which in turn is helping to support my knees and ankles as the muscles are doing the work not my joints. I have been doing this kind of thing for the past 10 weeks and have lost around 23pds so far although I have another 70pd to go, it gets easier the more you do it.

The rowing machine is another good low impact exercise machine and also swimming in the pool is fantastic, even just walking laps up and down the pool will work!

I'd suggest going to see a PT and giving them a run down of your injuries and get them to do up a basic plan for you to start on, get a feel for the machines and lift some weights, you'll soon be pushing yourself to go further, lift harder and challenge yourself as you feel stronger.
  • marthalukey
    Options
    Lost 4 pounds this week - feeling great !!! 12minute diet I'm loving it ....

Thanks for all your suggestions - I plucked up the courage to try the x trainer - I strapped up my ankles and it was ok - I will just have to build up my program time - I'm also hoping that it might actually strengthen my ankles a bit.

I'll keep you guys posted - thanks sooooo much for your support

xxxx
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    exercise bike is good since it wont really affect your ankles as much as walking on a tredmill would
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    aqua jogging, swimming . . .
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Running. I can remember a day when I hated running-avoided it like the plague.

I can honestly say I didn't see a change in my figure until I started running. I feel better, I look better, my clothes fit better...I can't say it enough-I'm now at the point where I love to run-I look forward to it.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options

I can honestly say I didn't see a change in my figure until I started running. I feel better, I look better, my clothes fit better...I can't say it enough-I'm now at the point where I love to run-I look forward to it.

that would be the worst for dodgy ankles wouldn't it?
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts....
    Walking, Water Aerobica, and Aqua Zumba.

I haven't tried Yoga, but we have an Silvert Sneakers class designed for the elderly that might work too. ( The Walk and Tone class might work too)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

that would be the worst for dodgy ankles wouldn't it?

I missed that part...yes, if you have bad/weak/dodgy ankles, running would be risky.

Pilates is another great exercise that helps with toning and weight loss.